on 30 March 2011
This is a smart, funny, romantic comedy with an unusual setting. All the elements are in place for a fun read - and yet there is quite a lot of depth to the story, too, as Sydney, the main character, develops from being a rather selfish person (though never less than likeable) to a well-rounded, socially-aware young woman.

There are some wonderfully funny set pieces that are reminiscent of the best screwball film comedies - this deserves to be optioned by Hollywood, it would make a very good film.

After reading this I went straight out and bought Romantically Challenged by the same author.
4 people found this helpful
on 2 March 2011
Maybe a bit like the heroine and the title, it took time to appreciate this book. At first I really didn't like Sydney and found it hard to warm to any of the other characters but as she learned to love the walrus, I began to like her more. What might seem to have been quite a light-hearted and frivolous tale actually had a deeper thread running through it. I was pleasantly surprised that, by the end, I really did care what the outcome would be for both Sydney and the walruses.
on 27 April 2017
Bought as gift
on 27 July 2013
Something different. Made me laugh many times. Keeps your attention although it's not sensational. Just a good read. Recommended for a light holiday read or bedtime reading.
One person found this helpful
on 16 July 2015
Although the environmental information was interesting, it didn't make up for the childish prose & the predictable ending. Poor quality writing & poor storyline.
VINE VOICEon 30 October 2012
I enjoyed the humour in this book, but if you want an absorbing read, then this is not for you. It is light, witty and a very easy read, but all too predictable.
on 15 July 2013
An interesting, different story. Nicely written, totally different. Sydney sounds a real character. I would recommend the book to anyone.
on 20 July 2013
fab book, loved the interaction with wildlife, would have liked the ending to have been a bit more romantic but hey ho.
on 22 February 2015
A good read, fast plot. Enjoyed it and now reading her other books
on 14 July 2014
GIRL IN THE WILD
BY BETH ORSOFF

Girl in the Wild is a romance novel that takes place on Wilde Island off the Alaskan coast. The protagonist, Sydney Green is dispatched by her boss to the island to produce a short documentary on walruses with her client, Hollywood heartthrob, Blake McKinley as the face and voice that will open pockets and hopefully salvage his bad boy reputation. One of the flies in the ointment is her relationship with Blake, to the outside world she's his publicist but behind closed doors the two are rather more intimately involved although I would hesitate to call it love, more like friends with benefits. Of course once she gets to the island and finds out that there's only satelite internet it starts going downhill and the fact that the lead authority on walruses, Ethan is also devilishly handsome and moody has our heroine's head in a whirl. I won't give out any spoilers but it's a classic love triangle that sees her bouncing between two men and trying to shoot a documentary when both men see each other as rivals.
I think the LA and Alaskan settings are well researched, I certainly learned a lot about the Arctic and the pressures brought to bear by mining companies and well-intentioned human interference but I think the sheer volume of information can be a bit overwhelming at times. Dan Brown does something similar with his books where he deviates to expound upon a particular work of art or artifact. Orsoff does much the same with the Arctic landscape in particular. It's all good information don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure we want to know that much about walruses for example. We do want to see some fairly plausible character development and a good character arc that sees the cast, for want of a better word, either grow through their shared experiences or crash and burn.
Sydney's character arc is well plotted and she shows a depth and strength as she overcomes the primitive situation to produce this video that will draw her closer to Blake. However her choice is men is abysmal, between Blake and Ethan there's not much difference. One's rich and arrogant, the other is poor and arrogant and why she seems to come unstuck whenever she comes up against them baffled me. Likewise the 'forced' kiss where she resists the kiss and then gives in. If I tried that in the real world I'd be up on charges of sexual assault but it is fiction so I'll let it go. Suffice it to say that the two main men are flat and two dimensional cardboard cut outs. There are times I want to see them actually move on and come to some new understanding but then they revert to type and you think why does she bother?
Overall it's not a bad book but with a little more attention to character building it could have been much better, the potential is there because as a romance novel it ticks all the right boxes.
I've given it four stars.
NB I see this book was previously published as How I Learned to Love the Walrus