Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 May 2011
I haven't read any of "the Gilbert" books. I bought this as it is shortlisted for younger children for the "Red House" Children's Book Award. It is a delight to read.
Young children will be reminded how their older siblings protect them at play, particularly against bigger bullying children. I loved the under-water park with the rides having a similarity to those in the human world. Very imaginative.
I was delighted to be given information too about sharks in the foreword.
I will now keep this book ready for sharing with friends' grandchildren and in the long-term my own.
on 23 February 2013
I loved this book because it is funny and scary.
Gilbert the Great White Shark and his friend Rita need to look after his little brother Finn.
Finn was funny because he cries all the time.
The Orca was scary when it tried to EAT them!!!!
The pictures are outstanding.
The book is suitable for all the family.
I would recommend this book because it's exciting.
on 9 January 2013
I bought this for my grandson. He loves sea creatures and the Gilbert books so I know he would enjoy it.
on 8 May 2012
My grandson loves the Gilbert books. (For fans of the Octonauts too!) This is, I think, the first. It's an exciting, but not too scary, read - ideal for a three year old.
on 16 April 2013
My 2 yr old grandson is crazy about sharks and Gilbert is one of his favourites. The story could be more entertaining for adults who have to read it over and over!
on 21 December 2014
Got the book for my kids as its our Surname with the boys found quite amusing. Well written with a good story line etc.
on 9 August 2010
The ''Gilbert'' books are a real delight, because they take events which will be familiar to young children, and weave them into a thrilling tale with a clear feel-good ending. The distinctive and highly attractive blue-green colouring of the covers and inside pages makes them instantly recognisable as a series, and the large amount of dialogue gives ample opportunity for the more dramatically-minded parent to 'do the voices'.

The exuberance of Gilbert and his friends is a pleasure to see, as is the fact that these under-water friends enjoy the same games as their two-legged readers (incidentally, it is good to have solved at last the mystery of why white sharks leap into the air). The story is about a problem that will resonate with many children: Gilbert is sent out to play with his baby brother, but Finn (love the name!) is too small to join in their usual activities. Gilbert, being a big-hearted lad, tries his best, but he doesn't really understand how little Finn is, and everything ends in tears. What should he do? And just as he gets Finn happily settled on the swing, a terrifying creature arrives, and poor Gilbert has to rescue his brother from danger. I defy any child who looks through the book for the first time not to be impressed by the sheer size and spectacle of the orca: it looms so large that it doesn't even fit on the double-page spread. But reassurance comes quickly: Gilbert is quick and resourceful, as all big brothers should be, and the day is saved.

You and your child will love this book, and if you haven't already got the other tales of Gilbert and his friends, you will soon be ordering them!