on 9 January 2015
I bought this along with this for a friend from that 'era', celebrating a December birthday 'biggie'!
Despite some very cross looks as the box emerged from the wrapping paper, we are still on speaking terms and completed this jigsaw over the Christmas period ~ with the help of those passing through putting the odd piece in here and there (aka the easy bits)!

A colourful box opens to high quality jigsaw pieces - 1000 of them - and make up into a trip down memory lane with various sweet wrappers from the 60s.
There are the classics that have stood the test of time and are still going strong today.

'Fry's Chocolate Cream' looks largely the same except for the 7d price on the wrapper and I am assuming that 'Fry's Medley' was the original name for 'Fry's Five Centres' (milk choc version).
'KitKat', 'Fry's Turkish Delight' & 'Cadbury's Flake', to name a few, are still in the same livery and remain comfort foods, today.
'Cadbury's Lucky Numbers' rings a bell, but I am not sure why!
'Iced Caramels' seem to be long forgotten, along with 'Cadbury's Strawberry' & 'Cadbury's Tangerine'?

The assembled rectangular jigsaw is 68.5 cm x 49 cm and fits comfortably onto a PortaPuzzle.

From the front of the box:

'The swinging sixties brought a colourful array of confectionery into the sweet shops, ensuring that this decade was memorable for being full of fun and fab fashion.
Prepare for lift-off with a Sherbet Space Snack and journey through 6d treats of the space age.'

The back of the box has snippets from the age along with a note about 'The Robert Opie' series, and other jigsaws to reminisce with, namely:

1940s
1950s
1970s
1980s

with some commanding quite high prices if the current RRPs are anything to go by, if they are available at all anymore.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 December 2013
Christmas for me this year will see relatives of all ages (most of whom could probably argue professionally if there was enough money in it) all being forced to spend a whole week together under one roof, cut off from the rest of the universe, in a rented cottage pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, it was my idea as it happens and, yes, I think it is quite possible that I do have a bit of a screw loose. It's true, there would seem to be dozens of potential opportunities for my 'happy' little family gathering to suddenly take on the appearance of something that Kent Walton might have done the commentary for. On the other hand though, it has become something of a personal challenge to me to try to ensure that it doesn't. Hence my recent distress signal to the family-friendly jigsaw world which was answered, I am delighted to say, by this visual treasure trove of 1960s confectionery. I have very high hopes that this jigsaw will unite a few warring factions this Christmas in much the same way that Paul McCartney's 'Pipes of Peace' managed to do to both sides in 1914. Well, not him exactly but.... well, you know what I mean.

This is a fabulously evocative jigsaw even if, like me, you never actually set foot in the 1960s. Let's face it, sweets are sweets, whatever decade they're from: especially when so many of the brands are completely familiar to those of us from slightly later times. The wonderful thing about these Sweet Memories jigsaws as a whole (and I'm speaking as someone who bought both the 70s and 80s versions last year), is that they appeal to virtually everybody. They stir up incredible memories for folk who actually do remember popping to the shops to buy the sweets on show, which in turn leads to friendly, neutral conversation on a relatively harmless subject. However, the items within the jigsaw image themselves have been very cleverly arranged to make it easy for younger puzzlers as well. You don't even need the lid of the box to help you out and it is the sort of puzzle that can accommodate a whole bunch of people working independently of one another to complete their own little piece of sweet shop heaven.

From the point of view of a 43 year old chocoholic, this image is somewhat romantic. It makes me feel comparatively young too, which can obviously never be a bad thing. I have every intention of buying at least one of every single brand of sweet depicted here that is still in production today, which I think will be rather classy. I might even share them willingly with everybody else which won't just be classy, it will be virtually unheard of. What can I say? This puzzle must be a calming influence on me.

In fact, the only people who might perhaps find this puzzle something of a disappointment are serious jigsaw fans, because it is not exactly what you might call 'challenging'.

It is a top quality jigsaw though, constructed from thick cardboard and with a box that gives a small but very welcome amount of background information regarding the Sixties confectionary scene. It also describes in detail how these Sweet Memories jigsaws came about - the items used to create all the images all come from the Robert Opie Collection, which is housed at a museum in London. Apparently Mr Opie was interested in documenting the evolution of the British consumer society and things like sweet wrappers have a very important part to play in that story.

This is like entering a 1000 piece time machine!
on 14 December 2012
This is the first Gibsons Sweet Memories jigsaw I have brought after I received one as a gift last year. They are fantastic puzzles and the pieces are really tactile - high quality, thick pieces which just feel good (that's sounds really weird!). You'll know what I mean when you complete your own puzzle. I have done my own puzzle three times in the last year and I'm looking forward to 'borrowing' this one back from it's recipient to give it a go!
on 17 April 2014
I have a number of these puzzles and although they are quite easy they are always enjoyable. I have only given 4 stars because of the very odd feel to the picture side of the pieces. They felt as if there was a sort of film covering them and I chose not to send the puzzle back as I was able to remove it (very carefully!!!) with a clean dry duster. It seemed to do the trick. I wonder if anyone else had this experience or was I just unlucky.
on 20 April 2012
Brought this for my mum and she loves it. Loves remembering all the sweets and how some have changed name. Jigsaw pieces are a nice size and not too fiddle. Colour is lovely and bright too.
on 13 January 2012
My sister loved this jig saw, especially when she could see the prices as they were in the 'olden days' but she must be an expert as it only took her a day or to to complete it.
on 20 November 2015
fun to do not too difficult
on 28 April 2013
Ciaran really enjoyed this instead of an Easter egg!!!! The ultimate response to a husband who says he does not want lots of chocolate.. It was a treat to watch how much he enjoyed seeing how quickly he could finish it and to hear him talk about the different sweets with his brother.. Would definitely recommend it as an alternative to a chocolate treat..
on 19 January 2015
Excellent quality jigsaw with enjoyable picture.
on 16 October 2013
As a jigsaw addict I really enjoy these Gibsons puzzles. Arrived well packed and on time. Very good quality puzzles.