Customer reviews

The Falcon Chronicles: Ghosts of the Forest: Book 2
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 October 2013
Firstly, I wrote a review of Tiger Wars and I think this is a definite improvement although there are still some of the same issues.

My (now) 8 year old son chose this as he enjoyed the story of Tiger Wars. I read it aloud to him at bedtime, although he's probably capable of reading it independently if he wanted to. I would say that it is aimed at an older child than you might expect to be a Deadly 60 fan.

Like Tiger Wars it follows the adventures of Sinter and Saker and highlights some real life environmental issues; this time in the forests of Borneo. The story is pacey and exciting, although there is more of a focus on personal relationships than in Tiger Wars. There is quite a distressing scene, with Sinter, early in the book which wasn't resolved until later and this could upset a sensitive or younger child. Ghosts of the Forest is clearly setting the scene for future books in the series and introduces some new and interesting characters.

Although there are some torturous mixed metaphors, the quality of writing is an improvement from Tiger Wars, with much less technical language. It seems Steve Backshall has benefitted from a good editor and he has at least halved the number of adjectives. The plot itself, however, feels a little rushed at the end with some characters left undeveloped and the all-powerful clan make some glaringly convenient mistakes.
on 3 September 2014
I bought this book (together with the first in the series) for my 9 year old son, a long time Steve Backshall fan and avid reader of boys adventure books. He loved this book (as he did the first) and thought it was gripping and extremely well written (he uses Anthony Horowitz as his benchmark). Now he is very much looking forward to reading the third instalment especially as there appears to be input by Anthony Horowitz. A definite must buy for any child who loves adventure, animal conservation and reading.
on 2 March 2017
Another classic by Mr Backshall. I remember recieving Tiger Wars as a gift and I was hooked on it since day one. Amazing detailed story with a lot of complicated words. I loved the first one so much that I decided to buy the second and third and I haven't looked back. This is a novel to expand your imagination as well as your vocabulary.
on 1 May 2016
I can not describe know in words how brilliant this book is. I would recommend it to any one under the sun. It combines fear , drama and truth together to make an amazing read. 10/10!!!!!
on 7 November 2013
I loved Tiger Wars, so was a little wary that this wouldn't be as good and I'd be left disappointed! I needn't have worried! It was excellent!! Totally gripping, the characters were just as well written, and the story was brilliant! My only problem now is that I have to wait so long for the next one!
on 2 September 2017
on 11 April 2016
A little too detailed at the very beginning but a truly and excellent read. The story was so engrossing I was starting to feel for the characters and made me want to read more and more.
on 6 August 2013
Like his first book Tiger Wars Steve weaves a tale that will thrill, entertain and educate the reader as they go.

Picking up where the last book finished, Saker and Sinter have gone their separate ways but the murky world of 'The Clan' bring them back together, the plot twists and turns and Steve clearly had fun writing it and has drawn from his own experiences on his many adventures along the way.

While the target audience for this book will be his loyal army of Deadly 60 fans, I think anyone that reads this book will enjoy it, I'm a 37 year old zoo keeper!!!
on 26 January 2014
I think it was an absolutely fabulous book! It was really adventurous and packed full with excitement all the way. I majorly enjoyed it and the characters were really cool, they were like real people. Steve Backshall is my role model and when I'm older I want to make a difference.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 September 2013
Another great book in the Falcon Chronicles, I love the escapist fiction and the way that it's rooted in the reality of places, cultures and ecosystems.
Clearly in the second novel the author is spending some time setting the stage for future novels (which in my view is great news!) but the story is complete in itself.