Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 23 February 2005
John Legend is the brightest new solo artist R&B has to offer. His excellent composition, vocal and piano playing skills combine to make a breathtaking album of legendary proportions.
I bought this album on impulse, after seeing an advert on television, and hearing a 2-second clip of "Used to Love U". It was enough to make me hunger for more, indeed! As soon as I bought it, listened to the opening "Let's Get Lifted" I was hooked on Legend's soothing, souly vocals and hip-hop edge.
I am a fan of soul, hip-hop, RnB, alot of classic soul especially. He seems to blend generations and appeals to all of these likes. Despite a slight lyrical reptetiveness (Relationship problems are all the album.
Alright - Wants a girl to cheat on her man for him
She Don't Have To Know - Telling his mistress that his girlfriend won't find out about them
Number One - Telling his wife he's changed his bachelor ways forever
I Can Change - Again, telling a partner his bachelor ways are over
Ordinary People - about an arguing couple
Stay With You - Obvious from title
It Don't Have to Change - Relationship on the rocks, reminicising to better times)
the album soars melodically; the gripping vocals, sweet, soft sound and the production skills of Kanye West have ensured a splendid "debut" from Mr. Legend.
Favourite tracks:
After repeated listening, alot of them.
Used to Love U, Alright, She Don't Need To Know & Ordinary People are all fantastic, but the wonderful gospel-lathered It Don't Have to Change is definately the best the album has to offer.
You'll be lifted by this, indeed.
on 13 April 2017
Fabulous singer. Great music.
on 22 June 2015
Amazing album
on 13 February 2015
Nice to chill out to. Great voice!
on 18 June 2006
Must have for your music collection. Listen to when you are trying to relax, or with your girlfriend/boyfriend.

Let's Get Lifted: 7/10: Not my favourite song on the album. The beginning of the album doesn't reach the standard of the second for me.

Used to Love U: 8/10: The song is more up tempo and very catchy. Good break up song. Gives the album more variety, you cant just have all sad ballards!

Alright: 7/10: I just love the lyrics and the bass line is great. But i think this isnt one of the best tracks, its a bit predictable.

She Don't have to Know: 7/10: OK, not particularly strong. To be honest its a bit of a filler song.

Number One: 10/10: One of my ultimate highlights from the whole album! Cant help but sing along! Kanye West adds a different flavour which makes it very diverse and still class.

I Can Change: 5/10: This song is my least favourite, a bit boring. Snoop Dogg just annoys me, just the same crap he always does.

Ordinary People: 10/10: Just great! Love the piano in this one as well. I cant believe they released a radio version with a beat in the background. This is far better.

Stay With You: 9/10: This is one of the more beautiful songs on the album. John legend's voice sounds sublime. Good love song.

Let's get lifted again: 5/10: Still haven't really listened to this one as it hasn't grabbed me in any way as yet but it's relaxing and has a nice melody. Shows his voice off well too. Filler song really.

So High: 10/10: Another highlight. Just John's voice and the piano is breathtaking. Just sit back and listen. I think this may be my favourite.

Refuge (when it's cold outside): 7/10: Good song, but the lyrics arent that great on this one. The vocals are still fantastic.

It don't have to change: 10/10 definitely!: This is my favourite off the album. This track hasnt been released and is a delightfull suprise at the end of the album. This song should have been the ending one.

Live it Up: 7/10: Slightly dissapointing end to the album. But still a good track.should have been put at the begging. Good lyrics.

I wouls strongly advise any fan of chilling out to get this album.
on 7 February 2005
When you hear that an artist is going to be produced by Kanye West, you know they are going to be the real thing. I love this album. Like another reviewer from earlier, I am also a bit of a jazz man- although i dapple in almost any kind of music- and if jazz is your kind of thing then you will definately not be disappointed by john legend. His piano playing is terriffic and he really knows how to harmonise with the vocals his songs. Kanye's lyrics are witty and cutting as usual, as are snoops but his voice can be a bit wearing after a while but that's nothing really. I think the only real niggle about this album is that a lot of the songs- with the exception of 'Ordinary people' and a couple of others- seem to all follow the same pattern and sound quite similar which seems to make the whole album just a bit formulaic but then again which r&b/hip-hop album isn't nowadays?
The standout tracks for me have to be 'Used to love u' and 'ordinary people' which actually seems very Stevie Wonder-esque (he must have listened to him as a kid) simply because the combination of the piano and his voice without percussion or anything else seems to blend perfectly for that kind of song.
If you are into Kanye west, stevie wonder, joss stone or any R&B or jazz then you will definately not be disappointed- I know i wasn't.
on 22 April 2005
When I first heard this album, I was absolutely blown away and I have been hooked ever since. "Get Lifted" John Legend's debut album on Columbian Records is an outstandingly imaginative fusion of old-school Gospel and funky hip-hop beats with feel-good rhythms and catchy tunes that will have you humming for the rest of the day! Check out "Used To Love You" and "I Can Change". The appropriately named album is uplifting and refreshing encompassing both 'playa' antics and impeccably crafted ballads which simply serve to emphasise Legend's immaculately soulful voice and inspired use of instrumentals. Each song is so textured and layered that the album seems to reach much deeper than many commercial R&B tunes around today. The multi-talented singer/song writer has certainly not gone unnoticed as Snoop Dogg features on the album along with Kanye West his Executive Producer. He has also previously collaborated with artists such as Lauryn Hill, Janet Jackson, Alicia Keys and Black Eyed Peas to name but a few. As you can probably tell, I can't praise this guy enough! He truly is gospel-delic genius and I cannot wait for his follow-up album!
on 17 February 2005
This is an impressive debut album. As soon as I heard the opening piano chords of the prelude and his deep raspy vocal delivery I knew I was going to be in for something special. And sure enough I was lifted. But somewhere along the line I came back down to earth - from those dizzy heights I suppose the only way was down. Make no mistake this man is very talented -only someone blessed with a real gift could have written anything as flawless and beautiful as Ordinary People. Only a real artist could have realised that by keeping it simple - the piano alone to accompany his breathtaking vocals - you can still create something complex and powerful. But this album is patchy. Firstly the lyrics have to go - if you can be inventive with your music, then you can get away from the cliches of the R&B lothario. I also found a few songs in the back half of the album mediocre and somewhat at odds in tone and style with the gems at the start. But he gets 4 stars because when he's good, he's REALLY good. I look forward to another album.
on 7 August 2006
Only a short review i'm afraid, but a well deserved on all the same.

I was pushed into listening to this guy buy a friend who said he had a great voice, so i decided to buy the album, and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest! Yeah, there are a few fillers on this album, but the remainder is simply class. After buying this album I went to see him live, simply awesome and his live soul sessions aren't to be missed either.

A real class act, looking forward to his new work. Gotta be one of my fav albums. Throughly recommend Anthony Hamilton also.
on 13 January 2005
A refreshingly old-fashioned album in many ways, this record takes seasoned session singer John Legend and puts him in the spotlight, thanks to Kanye West's endorsement and musical input. Legend has a rich, subtle voice which can soar but can also sound very street and smart. The songs are intelligent and full-on, with contributions by the likes of West and Snoop Dogg, but the essential vibe is soulful and bright, as the album's title suggests. It made me think of lots of classic soul artists, but especially of Marvin Gaye. The material is quite different from Marvin's, but Legend combines love music with social comment in a way that put me in mind of What's Going On? And that's high praise indeed.