I have done Tunisian Crochet since I was in my teens. We didn't call it that but called it Afghan Stitch. It curled up and was hard to get the beginning edge to cooperate with what you were making.

No longer! Today we have learned that by using two different hook sizes---one on the base row and the other to create the project, this roll will be mastered if not eliminated. Also, there are patterns for more than just afghans. This book provides ones for place mats and matching coasters, purses, shawls, cardigans and even pillows.

The author also shows more than just the "afghan stitch" I learned as a teen. This stitch is now called Tunisian Simple Stitch and goes under the "bar". There is also Tunisian Knit Stitch and Tunisian Purl Stitch. By using a combination of these three stitches, Ms. Thies creates 13 lovely designs.

There are also sections on the history of this stitch, the hook itself and the best part --- a tutorial on how to do each stitch. The graphs are GREAT and very helpful. Charts for yarn weight, skill levels and crochet hook size are provided at the end of the book. And just in case all of this isn't enough, the covers are folded over to create a "bookmark".

I plan on making several pillows and place mats/coasters for Christmas. What will you make?
44 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2012
I bought this book slightly reluctantly, as I liked the wrap on the cover, but wasn't that interested in the other projects the "Look inside" allowed me to see. I was very pleasantly surprised when I got the book! There is a really nice Tunisian entrelac shawl in it (a technique I hadn't really come across before), a large wrap in a versatile lace pattern, a comfortably cut "free Spirit" cardi and several other things I'm planning to make. I now think this was a very good buy, and due to the size range of the projects (from coaster to large afghan) it's good as an excuse for a visit to the wool shop, as well as for using up some stash yarns.
on 19 February 2014
i'm a moderate 'crocheter' and am beginning tunisian crochet. I have only done the mitts/ hand warmers pattern from this book so far (pg 69) but was a bit disappointed that the pattern is basically 'crochet a square, then sew up one side leaving room for thumb hole' - I didn't need a pattern for that!! Still, the written descriptions (no charts in this book) are clear so I will try more from it.
on 12 November 2012
Bought this for a friend who is very good at Tunisian, I am 'new' to this style but on seeing the book it was a real effort to hand it over, it has lovely patterns, nice to follow, and great items to make, she is going to lend it to me when I advance a bit. I would recommend this a great present if you can part with it.
Out of the 13 projects, the cover project is the best. In all this book features good projects, the best I have seen for Tunisian crochet plus techniques and ideas for the perfect finish. It is well laid out, easy to use and has superb photography. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 1 October 2012
I bought this book after borrowing from my local library and realising the potential within the pages. It truly is tunisian crochet for dummies, it explains everything step by step and gives you a project to practise each technique. A fab book, well written and totally demistifying those obscure instructions on the web that i previously found. A brilliant price too, well within the christmas present for myself range :)
on 19 February 2013
Bought this book as an introduction to Tunisian crochet and I was hooked. I loved the wrap on the cover and I will make it when I am more proficient. I would recommend this book to inspire if not convert the reader to Tunisian crochet.
on 4 January 2013
Good patterns easy to follow instructions as I am new to Tunisian Crochet. Have already made a shawl from yarn left over from previous project, quick and easy to do.
on 13 June 2011
I had done tunisian crochet many years ago and when I saw this book on Amazon I thought about trying it again. Tunisian crochet is a cross between knitting and crochet and gresat to do and makes up very substantial garments, blankets, shawls etc.
on 5 April 2014
an excellent little book, well presented, and easy to follow instructions. I am new to Tunisian crochet and was a little worried that it would be too difficult to follow, however I seem to be having no problems at all. I have made the shawl pictured on the front cover and i'm now on making the garment called tranquil escape. All in all i'm very pleased.