- Performer: Wayne Marshall
- Orchestra: Aalborg Symphony Orchestra
- Composer: George Gershwin
- Audio CD (4 Feb. 2002)
- SPARS Code: DDD
- Number of Discs: 2
- Format: CD
- Label: EMI
- ASIN: B00005UUQC
- Other Editions: Audio CD | Audio Cassette | MP3 Download
- Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (13 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 104,030 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
Other Sellers on Amazon
Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue; An American in Paris; Piano Concerto; Porgy and Bess CD
|Price:||£14.91 & FREE UK Delivery on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20. Delivery Details|
|Listen Now with Amazon Music|
Rhapsody In Blue / An American In Paris
|Amazon Music Unlimited|
|New from||Used from|
Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) is a service Amazon offers sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's warehouses, and Amazon directly does the picking, packing, shipping and customer service on these items. Something Amazon hopes you'll especially enjoy: FBA items are eligible for and for Amazon Prime just as if they were Amazon items.
If you're a seller, you can increase your sales significantly by using Fulfilment by Amazon. We invite you to learn more about this programme .
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
Virgin did a real service to this composer when they gave Wayne Marshall total control of these performaces as Soloist and Conductor. He lets Gershwin's interplay of classical and jazz elements speak for itself without forcing a marriage or accentuating the jazz element. Instead he revels in the wonderful instrumental phrasing and crystal clear orchestral textures (no wonder Ravel said that he had nothing to teach Gershwin). This approach pays special dividends in the Piano Concerto where the clarity of the phrasing and interplay of piano and orchestra is a delight - think Prokofiev piano works at their most inventive coupled with Ravel's skill at orchestration - and in the Porgy and Bess Symphony Suite - here the refusal to 'swing' everything - instead luxuriating in the particular mood of each piece - means that when a real sassy jazzy feel is actually called at the end for it stands out all the more.
All that and this is as comprehensive a collection of Gershwin's Piano and Orchestra works as you will find - Snap it up!
With Bernstein at the piano, and the CBS "house" orchestra -- better known for its Mahler and Beethoven with Bruno Walter in these days -- we have a lovely account of the Rhapsody. Bernstein's playing has an unaffected almost improvisational relaxation to it, and the orchestral soloists are richly recorded. Previn and others have given us fine versions of this music, but this is still as good as it gets.
This means that it is not worthy of any consideration.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Brilliant cd bought to replace an old LP from the 60's. Just like listening to the original versions.Published on 11 Mar. 2015 by S
Brilliant version of two classic tunes - a great addition to any libraryPublished on 5 Jan. 2015 by Dave H
Superb performances! Highly recommended. Good to see it reissued on a CD. Quite simply there's nothing left to be said.Published on 23 Feb. 2013 by Artizan
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical > Orchestral, Concertos & Symphonies > Concertos > Piano
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical > Solo Instrumental > Keyboard
- CDs & Vinyl > Classical > Solo Instrumental > Piano
- CDs & Vinyl > EMI Classics > All EMI Classics
- CDs & Vinyl > EMI Classics > Classical Instrumental
- CDs & Vinyl > Jazz