on 27 June 2013
I got this item for my borther as a present for his water-tours. He find it handy first and was very excited to try it out. When he eventually tried it out 4 months later it snapped in half in his hands. I tried to contact the seller and sent them MANY MANY MANY emails but never got a reply. Do yourself a favour and don't purchase this product - especially not from this ignorant seller.
on 31 January 2013
I bought this just before christmas as i always like to have a pocket knife but felt i needed more than just a cutting edge. The item was on a special - less than ten quid & I bought it as I had a spare tenner that week.
When it arrived i thought it was great & actually left feedback saying how wonderful it was.
On Tuesday this week I needed a pair of pliers in the house & started to go for my tool kit when I thought Hey - I have a pair of pliers in my man bag. Found them, admired them again, then used them - absolute rubbish ! Squeeze the pliers firmly to grip something & one of the handles breaks inwards ie folds into the centre of the open tool.
The pliers a fine for picking your teeth but not really any good for holding stuff steady. A colleague of mine who is a real Bear/ Gerber admirer was shocked saying that you would catch Ray Mears with one of these !
on 4 November 2013
purchased July 13 . Broken Nov 13. The pliers function has gone west. Limp as a wet lettuce.
Not a problem , life goes on, did not cost much. but guess what... my next purchase is not going to be a Gerber.
Might be ok just to keep in your back pocket for a few uses, but everyday use..epic fail.
on 30 July 2011
okay okay , so first off there was a bit of trouble with the delivery which was soon solved by the Very friendly Staff (seller) and it took 10 days to arrive and when it did , I was Amazed .

Every feature on this multi tool is absolutely incredible , The Knives were both razor sharp the screwdrivers were perfect for almost every screw and the tool itself has a fantastic heavy feel to it , Yet it isnt to heavy to weigh you down.

Whether your buying this to take with you for emergencies or your a keen angler like myself , this item is perfect for anything from opening packages to gutting fish.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU BUY THIS , it came with a lifetime warranty which made it even better.

on 12 June 2014
I bought this as a little pocket tool. The blades and screwdrivers are nice, good design and open well, but I bought this mainly for the pliers. On the first use (unscrewing a stuck clearomizer tank on an ecig battery - not the hardest task in the world) one of the pliers popped and pinged and flopped open, rendering them useless. It looks like a tiny retainer spring or something broke off completely.
I've used a proper, full size Gerber multitool for years and never had a problem. This one is obviously made more for looks, and not to actually be used.
Think I'll try a leatherman CS next time and hope for better,
Not recommended.
on 29 September 2011
I bought this tool because I needed a new one, decided to buy this as it was cheap. When receiving this tool it is far from cheap in quality. It was a little smaller than I thought, but this turned out to be a good thing as it fits nice on my keys. I use this tool on a daily basis. All round good quality tool 5***** from me.
on 28 August 2011
My first Gerber tool, although I knew Gerber means quality. Sourced from USA, I think this was a bit of a bargain buy, although it took a couple weeks to be delivered.

Folded up its only 2.5 inches long - 6cm. Very nice and compact - as per the name. ! so very easy to carry around in your pocket all the time and not even notice.

The product overall is of excellent quality, and the blades in particular are very sharp. The steel used for all the tools is excellent, and I believe there is a lifetime manufacturing guarantee on the product. The only downside if you could say it they do require some fingernail strength to pull the tools out, although this could be in part because it is so new.

Overall, most excellent purchase and would highly recommend.

Bear Grylls Compact Tool
What a fantastic multi tool to use. Or so I thought. After keeping it on my key fob and using it several times for various jobs I felt it was a reliable piece of kit. Then one day I opened the tool to use the pliers and found it wouldn't close properly. For some reason the plier fixing is slipping preventing it from closing properly. Now I can't use it. After reading the reviews and relying on a quality name like Gerber I thought it would last years. Not so. Really disappointed.
on 22 August 2012
I wanted an good value branded multi-tool and I settled on the Bear Grylls Gerber Compact multi-tool.

First impression: Good quailty and well made item (Although not as good as my Leatherman which costs more than twice the price)

Ten Components:

1. Needle Nose Pliers - no problem tightening 10mm nuts and bolts in the main teeth and good precision tip for gripping things.
2. Wire Cutters - easily cuts 2mm to 3mm cable (I haven't tested any proper wire yet).
3. Fine Edge Knife - Sharp. Good at cutting card and whittling.
4. Serrated Knife - Cuts through 20mm branches.
5. Phillips Screwdriver - Works well for a standard sized Phillips screws
6. Small Flat Driver - Too small for ordinary screws, but too big for tightening screws on sunglasses...I'll find something!
7. Medium Flat Driver - Works fine on standard flat head screws.
8. Lanyard Ring - I'm not sure if the wire ring will hold out and may need to replaced with a tougher ring.
9. Bottle Opener - It does not open a bottle top in one go. Had to leaver the top in 3 places to get to my bottle of beer!
10. Tweezers - Small and only really suitable for, say, pulling out splinters from you finger.

I'm happy with my purchase, but would say that it's good for occassional use, but nothing too demanding. EG Keep one in your car.
on 16 July 2013
I was very attached, in a mildly Aspegerish way, to my four year old Leatherman Squirt.I found a use for it almost every day. The knife needed occasional sharpening, but the rest of it remained as good as new. Whether restringing guitars, assembling flat pack furniture, fixing my bike, opening cartons or bending my glasses back into shape, it never failed to perform; Leatherman seem to have earned their reputation. I thought Gerber had a reasonable reputation, though all I'd heard about the Beer Grills fellow is that he is a high volume, preening US version of our mild-mannered, unassuming, but thoroughly capable Mr Mears. This may account for the Gerber's myriad failures. As far as appearances, it looks to have been designed by a schoolboy. Cross Kirk's Enterprise with a Star Wars fighter, then add a random scattering of bunting and you begin to appreciate how ugly a lump this is and, worse, how it draws attention to this fact. The Gerber is almost twice the size of the Leatherman, but has half of the latter's tools. Presented with the task of cutting an 0.25 mm guitar string it failed, despite trying with my dominant hand. The Leatherman had been happily snipping away at 5X that gauge and only needed it's scissors for the small stuff (no scissors here). The thing has spent a week weighing down my pocket and is already covered in rust spots. Basically, don't waste your brass on this muck.

Update 28/7: Having chucked this thing into a drawer to continue rotting away, I found myself in need of a fine headed screwdriver to tighten up the arms of a pair of sunglasses. The Gerber was near to hand and the job so undemamnding, that I thought even an old pull tab would manage this. On opening up the Gerber, a bit fell out of it that turned out to somehow supply the leverage for the pliers. As a result, the pliers no longer close, instead the handles come together. Fascinating stuff. At the time of the original review I submitted a simultaneous warranty claim on the Gerber UK site. The promise was that there would be a response within five days. Ten days on and not a peep from them.

If my survival had depended on this thing this review would have remained unwritten.
review image