on 7 February 2005
I bought my gerber legend a few months back and was very impressed with the overall build quality especially the sprung loaded grips to the pliers. The tool is easy to use and is asthetically pleasing. However the main blade leaves a lot to be desired, I snapped mine a few weeks ago while trying to score some wood and needless to say am not very impressed. I havent tried sending it back yet to Gerber to be replaced as im sure they`l refuse, so I bought the new leatherman charge XTI, now thats a multitool! The knife appears to be unbreakable and feels and looks a lot better in your hands and the real seller is the fact its TITANIUM... ooooh! Spend a little extra on the XTI and you wont be dissapointed!
on 26 April 2007
I have been the proud owner of 2 gerber legends. For comfort of use, ergonomics, and design there is none better. Sadly I have broken both of them. One has the plier jaws completely failed (the tool is now in two pieces) the other has no nose on the pliers or cross head screw driver.

I have not misused them so I have paid to send them airmail back to gerber under their lifetime warranty and am waiting to see what happens...
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2009
Have to agree with the above reviewer, I'm currently looking at my 4 year old legend which has been used every day of those 4 years and I regard it as indespensible! For the record, the tool functions more or less as it did when it was new, scissors and cutters are still sharp, screwdrivers are undamaged and plier's jaws and teeth are as new. I've lost the top 2mm of the blade (through miss-use) and the all but one of the stick-on rubber patches has come off, oh and the nylon case is a bit shabby, but that's it! A brilliant product and, in my opinion, better than the Leathermans that were around some seven years ago when I bought my first one (had it stolen).

EDIT Oct 2012 - with the above comments in mind I started to look round for a replacement for my Legend and I quite fancied the Leatherman 300 but as a last chance, considering the 25 year Guarentee, I phoned up Gerber's Uk distributer (actually Silva the compass people in Scotland) and asked about a replacement (feeling really that just about all the problems were fair wear and tear on a tool I'd used every day for best part of 8 years). The nice lady said that if I'd broken the blade through mis use for example then the guarentee wouldn't cover it but when I explained that the scissor spring had broken and all the rubber grips had fallen off she said it would be no problem. I packed it up, sent it back and today took delivery of my brand new Legend and belt pouch! Beat that!
on 6 May 2014
I use multitools all the time.I have had several Leatherman ( Leathermen ?) over many years.The Leatherman guarantee is very good as they always repair/replace the tool.While I was waiting for a return I saw a Gerber legend and thought I would give it a try.
It gave off a good impression first off because the cast handles felt chunkier than the folded steel ones of the Leatherman and the spring loaded pliers were good.I had that legend for about 7 years,the only problems were that I broke the tip of the knife (I was taking off a hubcap ) and the black rubber inserts in the handle fell off,(only cosmetic).I wore the saw out but it is only a seconds work to replace it with a saw that is designed for what I was cutting.I have never had to spin the wire cutters to another cutting face After 7 years I had no play in the pliers and the only servicing I did was to soak them in diesel overnight to get the built up dirt off then a quick dry and a spray of oil.All in all it is a very good tool.
Downsides,the ballistic sheath wore out in about 4/5 years And try as I might I cannot sharpen the knife anywhere near as they come out of the factory.Then I lost it. Bought this new one off Amazon,a very good seller it turned up in about 2 days.Just hoping that I don't manage to lose this one.
Eamonn
on 16 June 2014
If I had never bought another multi tool then this would be ok, But I had purchased a leatherman at the same time. The Gerber does feel a little on the tinny side upto the leatherman. But a very useful tool, this was more expensive than the leatherman. Service was good and arrived in good time, with good packaging.
on 11 March 2011
I have had too replace mine 3 times in 4 years there not made like they used to be.
the new ones are not the same quality
on 13 December 2013
i had a leatherman and it was broken by a customer so needed a replacement,this was recommended by my dad who has used his almost every day for years and loves it.
working in an outdoors activity centre in norway my boss also wanted one and we now also use it everyday and after seeing them 2 other guys bought them.
my only down side is its big,not so big it wont fit in your pocket but u know its there,that said i dont think it a bad point due to the fact its solid and has taken alot of abuse and is still perfect!
on 2 June 2014
Having owned and used the same Gerber before in both Military and Civilian life I finally had to replace my first Legend after some scrote nicked it from my workplace.

The replacement is not of the same Quality and build as before save for the pliers and wire cutters, all the foldaway components feel loose but don't tighten up any more then they are. with one of the locking release slides stiff as a board making one handed use is more difficult Than before.

I'll be taking it to Beacon so so will see how it holds up then. Glad I shopped around for this as I'd have been disappointed had I purchased it from a local camping store at top end price.
on 15 February 2012
The legend is just that. A very competent, capable multi-tool a great features and durable construction. The replaceable wire cutter blades on the main plier heads are very string and very thick compared to other tools. The main body / handles has a solid feel and there are rubberised inserts on the scales of the handles to provide improved grip. The individual tools are also well made and they lock in place using Gerber's normal secure latching system. It is slightly more compact than the equivalent Leatherman SuperTool but it does have a smaller plier head and the opening is smaller too. Still a very worthy buy if you are looking for a rugged, proven multi-tool that will handle pretty much anything.
on 14 November 2011
I bought this as a replacement for my last legend which I had for many years but sadly it fell from a roof and didn't survive. It is used daily without fail and being half the price of my original one a better deal you'll not find. The knife blade is ultra sharp and keeps a good edge, the ability to change the jigsaw blade with one of your choice is a great idea, it comes with a grit edge blade. The philips head screwdriver is a great fit on screw heads not like other makes, also the pliers are great quality in grip and durability, all in all this is a great tool to have on your belt, i'm never without mine.