Customer reviews

George Speaks
Format: Audio Download|Change

on 28 October 2015
This was one of my favourite King-Smith books as a child. My own little girl has just enjoyed reading it too, age 7.
on 1 September 2017
so happy with this book xx
on 6 November 2015
Small paperback book, which was requested for a Christmas gift. I haven't purchased children's books for some time but I imagine this is the average price for this type and size of book, nothing special in my eyes.
on 25 March 2008
The Story plot:
George was a very special baby - he could talk from the moment he was born; he kept it a secret until he was (exactly) six weeks old when he told his seven year old sister, Laura. Find out what happens when the baby starts parrot talking...

About the author:
Dick King Smith is a famous children's author who writes mainly terrific tales about animals. He is the creator of Babe the Gallant pig, which has been turned into an extraordinary movie; Dick King Smith lives on a quiet farm in Gloucestershire and has been writing since 1978. When I am older, I wish to do research on his wonderful work because he is one of my all time favourite authors.

Rating and Recommendation:
I really admire Dick King Smith's ability to write superb stories about amazing animals but surprisingly this was about a child who did not have a pet or any animals near by. I would rate this book 10/ 10 and would recommend it to all children who like extraordinary babies. I will put this book on my all-time favourite list.
on 11 December 2001
Another wonderful book; this one was actually my favorite as i was growing up. The concept of a baby who was born with an adult's vocabulary and mentality, helping his older sister with schoolwork (for example to learn her times tables), and in return being helped with the difficulties of being a baby. The story culminates with George's birthday party by which time his parents have grasped what an astonishing baby he is, whilst the other relatives do not yet know. This story is massive fun!
on 30 July 2009
This was an ideal book to read to a bright 4/5 year old ... just before she could read for herself.
on 10 March 2013
First read this book when son brought home aged 9 (he is now over 30), ordered it 'for a friend' who's son was called George. Had to read again to check it was suitable. As good as a remember, too good for children, funny and anarchic, just like kids and old gits like me appreciate.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 January 2016
Storyline - A fun, silly story about a baby who can speak in full sentences from birth, but keeps it a secret from everyone except his sister.

Teachers - this was on my reading list prior to starting university. Initially i found the book rather boring and impractical for myself as an early years specilaist. However, after some thought it could be used in a variety of way and in particular it could certainly be used both in the early years and higher up in the school in KS1 and KS2.

Themes: talking, family, secrets, growing up, expressing yourself

Activity ideas:
- Children who are beginning to be confident readers could read it themselves
- Children could discuss how people are different and how we all learn at different rates.
- Children could think about "how am i special" and "what am i good at"
- Possible links to safety - is it good to keep a secret? What information should be share and with who?
- This could be liked to growing up and activities could relate to what happens when we grow up.
on 19 November 2011
This is a lovely story by an expert story teller.Bought for my Grandson (6 next week) who is ahead of his class at reading and writing and he is able to read a lot of this for himself. Doubly appropriate for him as he has a new baby sister. Dick King Smith is as ever totally reliable.
on 28 May 2013
Good for younger children to read or listen to. An amusing story which inspired a lot of discussion such as "What if my sister could speak?" or " what if my cat could speak?"