on 5 May 2014
Had high hopes for this book but it turned out to be a bit lame. Just some reprints from web articles and not really proper step-by-step instructions. No illustrations either. The only saving grace is the LED fireflies project which is pretty cool and we've used a few times for fun.
on 27 May 2015
My dad was so excited to get this Book and he can't wait to use it with the grandkids!! Arrived quickly from America in good used condition
on 5 August 2017
Some good ideas.
on 5 June 2012
This book could have been brilliant. Bringing up Geek Generation 2.0! What a strapline. As the previous reviewer noted, it's far from compelling to those of us trying to pass on our worst geek traits to our children. Still, we bought a copy at the Air & Space Museum in Washington DC (nice geeky place to get it), and have been using it for the last month or so. In other words, I'm not saying that it's a theoretically good idea that doesn't work and sits on the shelf after the first read. It does work. Sort of.

We bought it for the "Life as an RPG character" idea. That's all we've done so far, but we've enjoyed it immensely. The idea in the book isn't actually that well worked out, but we've expanded and developed it (as the book encourages you to do) to make it work for us. Both children are well on their way to level 2 (wizard and ranger respectively). It's fun for a geeky ex-D&D playing parent (who has already introduced them to D&D), and has helped to encourage them to do things like homework, gardening etc. And it helps the parent to determine the "price" of different activities - e.g. if they still aren't doing it, you need to give the task more experience points to reward it. I'm still figuring out how to make skill points work, and how best to allow changes to attribute points.

A quick scan suggests this isn't the only slightly undercooked idea. It's rather like buying a cookbook and discovering that not all the recipes work, though they all provide a good level of inspiration. Another example is the make-your-own-boardgame project. We made a boardgame for a friend a few years ago and it was enormous creative fun, designing the concept, rules, and board, testing everything, then redesigning until it works. Here, they give you a game, and you make it. That's not geeky at all! Still, it's a start, and with luck you'll get enough inspiration from the project to invent a game of your very own.

One thing that bugs me about the book - though it's an entirely personal matter - is the utter lack of references to moms. In our house, the book was bought for Geek Mom and children to play with, and not-quite-Geek Dad occasionally looks on with amusement. Now, you'd think in this day and age there would be some note at the front saying "when we say Geek Dad, we mean Geek Parent", but no. All through the book there are comments about Dads playing with their kids. Granted, geeks are traditionally guys (if you go back to the 50s anyway), so there is a sort of cartoon rightness to it. And it's just a book. So I haven't starred it any differently for this, but I'm registering annoyance.

The only other disappointment is the website. The book suggests you go to geekdadbook.com for downloads, forums etc. There are a few downloads but no forum, and the blog entries are pretty irrelevant (and anyway seem to be attached to Wired.com rather than being run independently). As a source of further inspiration, sharing of experiences etc etc it's been a letdown. Maybe someone will start a "Geek Parent" forum with the opportunity to genuinely share ideas, and one day we'll all be able to swap "best practices" in parenting Geek Generation 2.0.
3 people found this helpful
on 21 July 2010
A small collection of activities for Dads and kids. Given the title 'Geek Dad' I had expected a few small physical science/electrical projects but the activities are a little more arts and craft oriented. Overall I found the book a bit hit and miss and while I will do a few of them with my son (Superhero ABC is a great idea and if it's even possible to find telephone books anymore there is a fantastic swing project), I don't think I'll try many of the others.
6 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 5 November 2012
To be honest I picked this title up as a bit of a joke as I know that my twin is heavily into making fun projects with his children, yet there is only so many things that you can think up on your own and books like this give you lots of idea's of fun things that you can do together that makes your projects not only unique but a lot of fun is had along the way

Whether its making your own comic (no need for artistic talent as it tells you how to make a set and use photography), or making Firefly's to run round the garden with, there's an absolute ton of fun to be had within. There's something for all budgets which when added to the value of teaching your children lessons as well as making it fun for all (Dad included) then you know its something that will make an ideal Christmas Present.
4 people found this helpful
on 23 November 2012
I bought this as a thank you for a doctor who had treated me after Cancer. I knew he had children but sadly I have not heard from him so don't know how successful a gift it was