VINE VOICEon 23 March 2014
Style Name: Standard|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Please note this is a review by a NOVICE for NOVICES! There are several good reviews on here already written, I think by people who use these things all the time. They are familiar with the set up and know where to acquire better maps. They compare with earlier models and conclude that this item is good to very good. Fair enough. This review is for people like myself who are new to this and want to know what the Garmin Oregon 600 is like out of the box. Firstly, small point, no batteries. You have to acquire an optional battery pack or use 2xAA batteries. Note the 2XAA batteries I put in do not seem to be lasting very long. Secondly the installed maps. First impressions absolute rubbish. The photos are misleading. Everyone is saying ah but you can use open street or something which is free from the internet. At this price (twice the price of a car TOMTOM) you should at least have some half decent maps you can use. This is aimed at walkers, out of the box it is virtually useless. It would appear that you have to spend seventy pounds plus to acquire extra maps. I have ordered one and will update this review once received.

Now some of you will be saying what an idiot, well could be right! and I am interested in hearing advice from experienced users of this. I am familiar with gps devices (for cars) use IPADS, computers, smart phones and modern TV's. So not a total tech numpty. I do intend to persevere with this because I am a keen walker and want this to work for me.

At this stage I cannot possibly give this more than one star for the novice who has spent this amount of money and cannot use it out of the box. I will update as I progress and will review the star rating if necessary.

Update 31st March 2014

Ok I have now got some decent maps and I have amended the star rating accordingly. I still think it is a lot of money to fork out for novices who are not aware it cannot be used properly 'out of the box'. Once you have paid the extra £70/£100 you do get a very good piece of kit. The screen is clear and it does acquire satellite signal very quickly.
77 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 July 2013
This isn't comprehensive but I wanted to say how the 600 delivers what my Oregon 450 failed.

When I bought the 450 a few years ago I thought this was going to be my perfect device but it let me down in a number of ways.

The 450 screen looked brilliant indoors. The first time I took it out on an overcast day I could have cried. I could hardly see the screen. In direct sunlight, at certain angles, it looked as clear as paper but at other angles it was dim. I could live with this hiking but it was unusable cycling since you can't really adjust your viewing angle on the fly. The 600 screen is way superior in all respects.

The 450 was touch screen but it was not very sensitive. To scroll lists or the map I would often resort to using my fingernail rather than my finger pad. The 600 is super sensitive (sensitivity is adjustable). No repeated attempts to jab a menu option, pan the map etc. The downside is that I need to be strict about locking the display when not using it.

Most of the time I use my GPS with the map displayed. On the 450 flipping to other functions then back to the map was laborious, involving backing out of the map screen, digging down through other menus, then back up again, then back into the map screen. Now with the 600 you tap the bars at the bottom right of the map screen to access context functions including toggling maps. You can add a dashboard with configurable fields at the top of the display that easily retracts. Access to track controls are simple. The physical buttons can be mapped to functions or combinations of functions (a kind of macro) which is extremely powerful.

On the 450, when presented with a list of maps, each item was large and required a lot of scrolling. Each item was logically a toggle but in fact you had to select the item then enable/disable it. The 600 gives you a list where you can toggle each item with one touch.

On the 450 I often wanted several custom (kmz) maps of the same area but was unable to toggle between them - it was all or none. In the 600 you can toggle individual custom maps.

Finally the optional battery pack for the 600 - this is nothing more than 2 x 2000 mAh NiMH batteries strapped together - the "strap" depresses the button in the battery case enabling USB recharging. Surely you can take a couple of similarly rated batteries at a fraction of the cost and fashion a strap with a bit of tape or plastic to do the same?

Oh, I don't do enough geocaching to comment on its abilities there. I'm sure others will comment.
77 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Any questions contact keithratcliff at btinternet dot com
First of all: realise you only get a simplified base map with this which is really unusable for anything. It really only initially shows you the nearest motorways and a simple outline of any geography which, unless you only ever need to know your position on the globe, will require you to buy proper maps. Factor this in as these cost £100s+ or you'll be using less detailed free maps. You'll also need a microsd for the maps you buy and to store routes you plan to do. Two disposable AA 1.5V alkaline batteries last about a day once you activate GLONASS satellite options. It will start to tell you it's running out of battery quite early but just keep the screen dim when possible and ignore the warnings until it stops working and you'll usually get 8 hours of active use out of it. No big deal to carry some spares and stick them in.

It purports to have gorilla glass but on laying the device down on its first outing a few months ago the screen scratched on a small pebble. It still works fine but it was frustrating and wouldn't have happened with my samsung s5 which also has gorilla glass and sits with my keys in my pocket without issues. I don't know if it's a lower spec glass but it was a bit disappointing.

Those are the negatives. I'd buy it again if I lost it or broke it.

The GPS is accurate to within 10m, probably much much closer but it's hard to know without another good GPS (phones just aren't as good) and reliable with a good compass and GPS signal whatever weather. It tells you where you've been, where you're going, how long it'll take you. Okay it doesn't work well indoors sometimes but that's pretty irrelevant. It works for me in woods, on remote hillsides, in the car etc. If I was ever in an emergency situation I could use this get my GPS location to text my coordinates in a poor phone reception location to a friend or emergency services so I've carried it for this purpose while speedflying rather than pay for a costly satellite phone GPS subscription. It is fantastic for hiking with a well lit, responsive touch screen and rugged case. I can read it in total darkness or near full sunlight. The carabiner clip lets me hook it to my bag or speedlflying harness without losing it on the hillside. It's got a weighty feel to it but that's really irrelevant for something so relatively small compared to other items taken hiking unless you're really conscious about shaving grams off kit.

Sunset/sunrise times were accurate while camping and Bootcamp software works well for planning if you buy the maps through that.
It takes me about 2 minutes to download a gpx track route off walkhighlandsand load it to check it. There's an obvious folder system for everything you need to add to it when connected to a computer- maps/routes/coordinates etc so don't be put off by thinking it's too technical or quirky; it is user friendly if you can drag and drop.

The interface is perfectly usable: other reviewers are right that it isn't perfect and could be slightly improved but it took maybe 15 minutes of clicking on stuff to get an idea of what did what. Other criticisms are simply unfair - the D ring works fine to lock/unlock the battery compartment and the purpose of having AA batteries isn't so they get to scrimp and not provide you with any but so you can opt for disposable or rechargeable depending on whether you are out for a long multi-day trip and want multiple cheap batteries (disposable) or if you want to buy rechargeable ones. It's good to have the choice and be able to carry a few disposables as a cheap back up for emergencies even if you go for rechargeables. The screen IS a perfectly useful size and shows as much detail as the maps will allow. It may take a few more seconds to load the screen when zooming in/out but this isn't a problem. It's not as quick as mobile phones are but it fulfils a totally different purpose and does it well.Because of the speed it isn't suited to driving (speed) but when you're cycling/walking it does a great job of telling you where you are, where you've been and where to go.

It's easy and intuitive to use - I didn't need the manual - just powered it up,plugged in the microsd card and some batteries, loaded some maps, downloaded some routes and headed out.
on 1 May 2016
Bought this to replace my Oregon 400t, which bought in 2009 and was generally very good. I used it for mountain biking and walking in all weathers, but the screen finally died and though I replaced it, water got in and that was the end.

Here we are seven years later and given the progress in mobile phones in that time, the very minor improvements in the Oregon seem hardly worth the wait. The screen is a bit brighter; you can run it in landscape or portrait mode; the software is a bit more intuitive. But several things still seem strangely backward:
- it's still impossible to swap maps over without attaching the unit to a pc - even though you may have several maps on the card in the unit. Why not offer a way of doing this via the firmware?
- you can't charge batteries in the unit without buying an additional Garmin-branded battery pack - about £20. So you have to take a charger with you too.
- the screen is no bigger than the old unit. Maybe this is to save power, but it looks pretty archaic compared to a smart phone at similar price
- though it has bluetooth, you can't bluetooth it in to a PC, so loading your tracks onto or from strava or wherever still requires a cable. So pretty much useless unless you like sharing tracks wirelessly with another garmin device. Not something I've wanted to do so far.

And a few things seem to be worse:
- battery life - I now get half a day instead of the day I got with the 400t
- touch screen - though in some ways better, it was great when cycling to be able to wake the unit up by tapping the screen. Now it's a fiddly button press
- cycle mount - I have Garmin's own brand clip for mounting the oregon to my mountain bike. The 400t stayed rock solid in it - never came off once, even on a seven day pyrenees off road crossing. Same clip is specified for the 600 - but the unit falls out of it a couple of times on every ride and is now looking very beaten up as a result. I now have to tie a lanyard to the unit round the handlebars to catch it when it happens. I even bought a new mount - no better. Redesign of the back of the unit, for advantages I can't detect, seems to be the culprit.

On this showing it feels like it must just be a matter of time before Samsung or LG or Apple look at what garmin does, ruggedise their phones and made them work with OSM maps, improve battery life and wipe Garmin out.

Update, May 2016. Also find that the screen doesn't like the rain. Bigger drops have the same effect as touching it - changing the view and even deleting stuff.

Update August 2016. Just used this for the Transalp mountain bike race. Not great. Randomly crashed/froze on three of the seven days - and reset seemed to require taking the batteries out for an hour or more. Big chunks of my trails missing as a result. On the plus side the tendency to drop off the mount seems to have died down and the battery life is better now I have tweaked the power management.

Update April 2017. Unit now switches off randomly several times during a 3 hour ride. Might be associated with vibration, but hard to tell and pretty frustrating. I wish there were something better on the market - I would buy it. But having recently tried an Edge 810 which crashed regularly and then failed completely and went back after 2 weeks, I don't know what to try next.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 April 2014
Style Name: Standard|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using an old Garmin eTrex GPS for years. The Garmin Oregon 600 is a massive step forward from the eTrex. The technological leap is the equivalent of moving straight from a Nokia 5110 mobile phone to an iPhone 5 - the additional functionality, the readability of the screen and the ease of use are initially a bit overwhelming. Unfortunately there's a bit of a learning curve too.

Firstly, it has a touch-screen, and its in colour. Secondly, it connects easily to my PC, using standard (mini) USB connector. Thirdly, you can download maps, and this alone makes a massive difference to the usability. Be aware however that maps cost money - you may like to consider buying the version of this GPS that has Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 maps preinstalled, if it is available. I'll come back to maps in a minute.

For folks that haven't used a GPS before, its important to note that the positioning offered by a device like this is far more accurate than a mobile phone. I'm not sure why this is, but I assume it is tracking more satellites than a mobile phone can manage.

Almost all the functionality comes from little app icons. There are four on the home screen and you can swipe up from the bottom to see more. For Geocachers, you can enter coordinates easily (choose the "Where to" icon, and then "Coordinates", and enter the coordinates in decimal format (hddd mm.mmm) - you can reconfigure the device to use hddd.ddddd or hddd mm ss.s formats if your geocaches use those formats, or you can use the Ordnance Survey National Grid format. There's built-in support for Opencaching geocaches, but there aren't any of those near where I live.

Configuring units doesn't allow for the hybrid that we use in Britain (with miles on roadsigns but all other distances measures in kilometres and metres). For walking, kilometres are probably the best bet.

Physically, the device comes with a detachable carabiner. There is no belt-clip (the thing on the back looks like a belt-clip, but it isn't). You need to remove the carabiner to access the USB port, which is annoying - its far too easy to mislay the dratted thing when you're uploading your tracks to your laptop. It is allegedly water-resistant up to 1 metre, although you do need to dry out the USB connector before you use it it is has become wet. I have not tried this out, and I don't intend to. It takes two AA batteries, which can be lithium rechargeables or can be normal alkaline. I've bought some rechargeables, but the two Duracell Plus alkaline batteries that I initially fitted are still going strong after a couple of weeks of intermittent use. If you connect the GPS to a USB charger, it runs off that instead of the batteries.

Screen brightness is very good, even in bright sunlight. If you press the on-off button briefly, it takes you to a brightness-adjust screen that also shows you the time till sunset, your altitude and how far you have travelled in the current trip. Pressing the second button on the side marks a waypoint (you can name your waypoints easily using the touch-screen). Some Oregon GPSes have a camera; this one doesn't.

Now, back to the maps. If you live in the UK, you will almost certainly want to use Ordnance Survey maps. The basic vector maps you get preinstalled on this version of the Oregon 600 are pretty poor, just showing major roads and placenames. Ordnance Survey offers a free 1:250,000 map of the whole of the UK, and Garmin has helpfully made it available for download - but only to the PC Basecamp software. You can't install it on your GPS device. I can only assume that this is to force you to buy maps from Garmin: I suspect that maps probably make as much for Garmin as the GPS devices themselves.

For maps to install on your device you have two choices. There are "Maps" - which you can either download from Garmin or buy from Amazon (on a micro SD card that fits into your Garmin under the battery). They include the reasonably-priced Garmin City Navigator NT Maps UK/Ireland 2012 SD/microSD card - 010-10691-00, which sounds like it would be fine for vehicle-based use or Garmin GB Discoverer (All of Great Britain,1:50K), which is the equivalent of a complete set of the purple-fronted 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey Landranger maps. Unfortunately, the maps are a few years out-of-date now - presumably an updated version is due soon.

The alternative sort of map, which Garmin calls "BirdsEye", is the one you really want, the Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 Explorer series. And here's the catch. You can't just buy the whole of Britain at this level of detail. You need to set up a Garmin account and buy a multiple of 1,500 square kilometres of the map which you can then select in the BaseCamp program and download. You don't have to select one big area: you can make multiple selections, and they don't need to be rectangular (you could presumably buy a narrow strip map all along the Pennine Way, for example - this is where that free 1:250,000 map comes in handy, because it lets you select the area you want to download more precisely). Once downloaded you can send them to your device. Its great having this sort of map on your GPS, but the price is really a bit steep. And its a pain having to buy the maps little by little rather than just buying the whole of Britain in one go.

Whichever maps you choose, they are linked to one GPS device only, which makes them seem even more expensive. As I said earlier, its worth looking at what preloaded maps you can get with this device, although the version with the Ordnance Survey Landranger maps preinstalled seems to have been discontinued.

This really is a brilliant little GPS. It's superbly accurate, and the screen really is visible in bright sunlight. I do wish the Ordnance Survey Explorer maps were a bit easier and cheaper to install, but that's really my only complaint.
22 Comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 April 2014
Style Name: Standard|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a map and compass kind of guy who learnt the basics in the army, but with the advent of technology it is impossible not to get drawn in. If truth be known I love gadgets.

I have been using this little device for a number of weeks now, trying to eke out its good points and find the shortcomings. Now that the weather has turned for the better I have been dragging out the children for a bit of intensive Geocaching and playing catch up.

I have been running it in comparison with a iPhone 5S and a Garmin eTrex 30.
Ok, the iPhone has an acceptable function as a GPS but it just does not warrant being spoken of in the same breath or being compared in accuracy so that's the last time I will mention it.

The eTrex is all buttons whereas the Oregon 600 is a touch screen. While I know my way around the eTrex the usability of the the touch screen is so much better, so much more functional and is easier to use. This is probably down to the fact that my last 6 or 7 mobile phones have been touch screens. It is what i have become used to.

The Oregon is also quite a bit bigger in the hand and feels bulkier but not too big that it becomes a burden. The menu system is generally Ok when flicking between screen or setting the device up but Garmin needs to refine this a little more and make the breakdown of the menus more intuitive.
Sometimes what you expect should be there is hidden in another sub-menu. They could learn a little from Apple or Samsung.

I have now been able to use the device in bright sunlight! The screen handles it fairly well but don't expect Retina or Super Amoled screen clarity, it is more `second generation' colour screen technology. While the screen is bright, really bright sunlight washes it out, so a bit of shade helps. If you are used to handbag sized phones this screen will feel a little small and cramped.

Much of the screen size is down to battery drain, a bigger brighter screen and you would need to carry a rucksack full of batteries with you.

It does boot up quickly and finds where it is within a reasonably quick time. The map can get blurry and grainy when you zoom in as it is like an overlaid photocopy of a paper version.

However, notwithstanding that fact, the quality of a GPS is in how accurate it is, and this is accurate, I would like to think to within maybe two meters. I have compared it to the GPS that I use when I fly and accuracy is good. It helps that it can lock on to the American GPS and Russian GLONASS.

Extras include an alarm clock and and calculator thought these have limited value to me but might just appeal to someone else. There is even an installed program for a way to walk round an area and then calculate the size of the area. Man overboard? I have sailed in my time but would it be necessary or should you be looking at a maritime dedicated device. I reserve judgement on the photo viewer.

Preloading the device with Geocache stashes is straight forward and easy when you know how either wirelessly or by cable, though for speed I tend to stick with the cable.

It is a shame that the device does not come preinstalled with a proper UK map data base, though if you have looked to purchase a full set of 1:500,000 for the UK you will know that it comes in at around £200 or more. Luckily there is an open source alternative, it has a little less polish than the OS maps but does the job and costs nothing. It might be worth looking at those that offer a discounted deal for the maps at the time of purchase.

Installation of maps can be a little confusing to the uninitiated but there are many websites that offer a guide to installation.

In conclusion, it is accurate and portable though maybe a little heavy to hang around your neck. Garmin could improve the device, a little more thought to the menu system and to make it more intuitive. A slightly larger screen but not to the detriment of battery life might be found in future generations of the device. All in all it is a very good. Accurate and with an easy learning curve. It is a huge improvement over the eTrex in usability.
22 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Great item. Loads and loads of technical reviews on here, but beware this item does not come with any maps and therefore I have just paid a further £125.00 for a set of Landranger 1:50,000 maps (edition update March 2015 - watch out they are not all up to date and it pays to go to a recognised supplier). Fantastic when combined with bootcamp, the software which permits you to configure routes etc on a pc/map and transfer them to your Oregon; it is a nice piece of software which I am slowly learning more about.

In use it really is good, picks up the signal quickly and is accurate I would suggest to a couple of metres. The screen is very bright and clear and responsive to the touch and it could prove to be a lifesaver if you were stranded. I have acquired mine for geocaching and hiking over distances of 7-10 miles; for those purposes and to suit my needs it really is great. I know that it can do much more and if you read the other reviews, you can see that it is far more advanced than what I really need it for.

So why 4 stars? Firstly it is a good 4.5 star rating, but I have been a bit disappointed with battery consumption. The manual recommends that you don't use alkaline batteries and so I use Duracell rechargeable Nimh batteries; you can use the Garmin battery pack but there are some scathing reviews on that and so I have stuck to my own batteries and charged them separately. The unit goes through batteries fairly quickly. I have checked my settings and I am operating the GPS on as low as power consumption that I can and struggle to get 10 hours use from it. May I say that I only really refer to my GPS when I just want to check my bearings and location and for much of the time it is switched off. I have used different sets of batteries and re-set it, all to no avail. Surprisingly alkalines, despite the recommendation, are better, but obviously more expensive to use. It is on that basis that were I to go away for a weekend, without access to electricity, might I suggest that you need than one spare set of batteries for this item; just to be on the safe side.

Would I change it? To be honest I wouldn't. It really is a nice item, is weatherproof, has a cracking screen and when combined with the landranger pack is ideal for me. The screen is very clear and the touch sensitive tracking allows you to scroll the map easily. I just wished that the batteries would last a bit longer. One last thing :-) if you are not familiar with GPS of this nature, you might wish to consider purchasing a training package, either on-line (webinar) or take a formal course. Whilst these items are pretty clever, they are not that simple to operate.

Went for a reasonable walk on Saturday (20th June 2015) having configured the GPS via the touchscreen. Very happy with the navigation element and was very pleased to examine the information stored which recorded our walk. Nice to know exactly how far we walked, the average speed, the highest point climbed etc etc. It explained the aching legs and I can't wait to try this in some high country during the summer holidays.
on 28 May 2015
Totally Disappointed in this product.
I class myself as a Techie and bought this to download walks and lead some walking groups. For OS 4.3 I had many crashes with the gps being powered up and locking up in front of other people and having to remove the batteries to be reinserted before powering on again to get it going.

For a beginner a menu system which looks straightforward and during the learning process have been lost trying to find my way back from some level.

I downloaded gpx files of routes and tracks from rambling groups and using windows 8.1 to file copy on to the Garmin gpx file area and find that they were renamed the same name in the menu of the Oregon 600. Just dragged and dropped and tried cut and paste from windows 8.1.
Had to look at the file size on the Oregon 600 menu and use that to help identify the proper route or track name and rename on the Oregon 600 to a similar name.

Outside It is very clear to use and read and when following installed tracks its OK . But if you go off a track deliberately following the compass pointer it goes haphazard as if it does not know what to do but when you go back on the preloaded track it behaves properly.

I used it outside many times and the loaded route took me to the stiles on the walking route properly and accurately.
I used all the previous techniques to save batteries but mine lasted about half a day for Panasonic 2100 mA and eneloop batteries and I did have to do a live swap by using a charger pack and USB cable to maintain power to the route which was kept in memory

I am unhappy with the number of crashes I have had on version 4.3 with others watching me take out the batteries yet again to restart the system.
on 28 October 2014
I am a long-time Garmin GPS & Satnav user. My last GPS purchase was an eTrex Legend C which still works fine and fulfils all my needs. Why then did I buy a replacement? Well, the problem with the Legend C is poor memory capacity and with map detail becoming ever greater I was spending more and more time removing maps not currently used and installing new (often cut-down) ones. Ultimately the process became just too tedious.

The Oregon 600 unit is well specified and the file structure is very similar to the Legend C. I found it relatively easy to work with (though someone new to GPS's would undoubtedly struggle). The problem is that with so many features (many of them not of interest to most users) the unit is complicated and frustrating to use. The interface is configurable, however, and with effort can be made much more crisp and direct.

My main gripe is battery life, which is execrable. The manual (available on-line) suggests:

* Reduce the backlight brightness (preferably, turn it off) (page 9).
* Select GPS instead of GPS/GLONASS (page 10).
* Reduce the backlight timeout (page 10).
* Use battery save mode (page 13).
* Decrease the map drawing speed (page 11).

Of these suggestions I would avoid selecting GPS only. (Admittedly there is a power saving of about 10%, but when set to GPS only my device struggles to find the necessary three satellites and then lock onto them. This problem is particularly acute in built up areas, in woodland and in mountain gorges).

To garmin's suggestions I would add:

* Set Touch Sensitivity to Normal
* Disable the magnetic compass
* Disable WAAS/EGNOS
* Adjust Tracklog to 'Auto' or 'Off'
* Set Map Orientation to 'North Up', not 'Track Up'
* When permissible, use the Compass or Trip Computer while navigating, not the Map.
* Select the correct battery type you are using from the appropriate menu.

All these things make a difference (especially switching off the backlight altogether) but if you get more than 4hrs with a set of high capacity primary cells you're doing well. During a recent 120km walking trip in Italy I had to keep the unit switched off, switching it on only when I wanted to check my position on the map - I would have run out of batteries otherwise. Hence the track log was incomplete - not a problem for me but it would have been for others.

The use of high capacity secondary cells is pretty much essential. I would recommend the following: Panasonic 2450mAh Eneloop PRO BK-3HCCE/4BE AA/Mignon/LR6 Battery (Pack of 4). These aren't cheap but have 85% charge retention after one year and a capacity which is hard to beat.

Garmin really need to engineer in a high capacity mobile phone type rechargeable battery that lasts a couple of days and can be photocell charged.

Be aware that in very cold weather your fingers will be frozen when you take off your gloves to operate the touch screen. Touch screen gloves are now becoming available but I can't vouch for their quality.

Another gripe is that I couldn't get the unit to route me along public roads from point A to point B. Using the same map my Legend C worked fine so I'm at a loss to know what's wrong.

So, in conclusion, the Oregon 600 has lots going for it coupled with many a flaw. I got mine cheap so am not too grieved, but if I'd paid normal prices I'd have been extremely cheesed off.

Oh, and by the way, the Oregon 600 won't work with Mapsource - you have to use Basecamp (in many ways an inferior product IMHO).
on 4 February 2016
Only briefly used, but it has locked up on power up a number of times requiring the removal of battery to re boot. Bought, as rated the best touch screen GPS and rated superior to an I-phone for Geocaching. I have an older Garmin GPS, no map just tracking, which has never let me down so am disappointed. I was aware of early posted issues when I purchased device. Just hoped they would be fixed by newer software, they haven't. Having a map in some ways makes a position less clear and hard to find in poor light on the device and there are too many confusing options, though these may become clearer over time. Downloaded free maps from the Talkytoaster subscription site and Open Street Map on to the internal memory stick (not included) that have been useful. Trying to compete with mobiles and their rapid improvement was too big an ask for Garmin and GPS of this type are likely to become obsolete sooner rather than later. Rechargeables do not last, less that a full day, less if Glonass used. Keep or buy the older Garmin tracking GPS, they are 1/4 of the price and get mapping software and I-phone for pretty map images, cost is the same.