Customer reviews

Garmin City Navigator® Southern Africa NT and MicroSD/SD Card

on 25 March 2013
I bought a refurbished Garmin Nuvi last year, with Europe and US mapping included, to replace an ageing Navman, which seemed very hard to find maps for. I saved the cost of the Garmin in a four week car hire in late 2012 in the USA, using it rather than hiring a unit with the car. My plan was always to buy the South Africa maps on Micro-SD, for seven weeks car hire early in 2013 as, again, the maps paid for themselves several times over.

Running the maps on SD is easy - plug it in and tick the new map on the info screen. Simples. Generally the directions are very good - up to European/US standards. Couple of issues however arose, on the road. The maps on SD are slower than those on disk, so if you go wrong at a junction, then correct yourself with a quick u-turn, the unit can get very confused until it (slowly) sorts out your position. This is not apparent, if say, you get it wrong in the UK. The second problem we had was the maps being plain wrong a few times! Driving me to a golf club entrance in one instance, instead of the intended hotel 1.5 Km away! This was only two or three instances of gross errors, in 7 weeks and 4000Km, but not something I have experienced in UK, Europe or USA.

Certainly worth it if you plan to use the maps occasionally in SA
One person found this helpful
on 24 April 2012
This worked well during our trip to Namibia and Botswana, and a short visit to Joburg in March 2012. Taking note of other reviewers, just to make sure it worked I loaded the addresses and favourites into my system before I went. No problem here, the town street maps were clear. During the visit it worked superbly. Some of the routings given were interesting in the remote areas. For example I was routed from Sesriem to Walvis Bay(350Km) via Windhoek (800Km). However we did have a 'hard copy' map, and when we were on the shorter C19 desert road, the sat nav 're-calculated' and was faithful after that. Mind you, with so few roads in Namibia, in the Caprivi Strip, and Botswana, maybe we didn't need a sat-nav. We found the devise useful for telling us 'Where we Are', How far to go, and in particular the altitude. You'll be pleased to know that it was dead accurate for location at the sign denoting the Tropic of Capricorn! It was also useful in Joburg on our trip from the airport to our hotel.
We enjoyed its company on our trip.
4 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2012
It is so nice to receive a product which does exactly what it says on the tin. Just plug in the SD or microSD card (in my case) into your Garmin device and reboot it. You will immediately have full access to detailed South Africa maps and directions. It could not be easier. I have no idea what happened to the other two reviewers, but do not let them put you off a straight forward and excellent product.
8 people found this helpful
on 14 November 2012
I ordered this item more in hope than based on any of the reviews, it worked brilliant, i was using a Garmin 360 sat nav ( 3years old for UK )& would have got lost more times than i care to remember, it worked really well for me & always got me to within 10 to meteres of my location. look at a map before you travel & use this product & you should not have any problems & you won't have to pay insurance excess for rental or buy a new one if you are only going for a couple of weeks.
great product, great price well worth investing in.
on 13 January 2016
I read all the reviews before purchasing and to be honest was almost put off. However I did buy it 2 days prior to my trip to South Africa - it was brilliant. Easy to load and when I arrived in SA just switched it on, found me immediately and off we went. We took one or two wrong turns and had a couple of diversions due to roadworks - it recalculated my new route in seconds. Strongly recommended.
One person found this helpful
on 28 November 2017
Excellent, although unfortunately was stolen while on holiday in South Africa.
on 17 March 2018
First attempt didn't find the street in Camps Bay...seems older info. Loaded fine.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 5 April 2015
Had no problems whatsoever. Accurately taken to destination even in large cities.
on 29 April 2014
Easy to order. Delivered quickly. Easy to fit and use. Worked perfectly on recent trip to South Africa. So much easier than reading maps.
on 27 January 2014
Good experiece with this map but would be better with more points of interest.
Can't give it a five, but four for effort.