on 25 May 2017
I have had this for six months now. The loading of courses onto the computer is needlessly arcane. Garmin are like Apple, they want to own you and everything you do. You have to mess around for ages trying to get the right part of Garmin's map making facilities (Garmin Connect, Create course- the click-ons are not properly sequenced on the screen) then save, but if you are looking at the lower part of the screen the naming and saving bit have disappeared upwards on a laptop. The save to my touring now doesn't work as the screen alternately says that it is having trouble communicating with its servers or that I don't have the privileges to view the course I've just made!
I tried saving a TCX file to the unit from Garmin Express, it seemed to have got there, but was not accessible.
If you want to check how things have got on, you have to disconnect from your PC and turn the unit on again, wait for all the loading stuff to happen, then go through the menu, only to find the thing has refused to accept what you want to put on!
What is wrong with having a screen for your unit and a second with the mapping tools, when you've done the plan, drag and drop. Simple! But no, you've spend your cash on their kit, now they want your blood as well, and extra money for those "little" things like turn warnings. On Garmin Express, they even say that some of the things they want you to pay for are already there on a Mio Cyclo! I've borrowed one of those but it was also a bit odd with the way you route planned, but you owned it not the other way round. I wanted a touring computer, so I could do a 100 mile cross country route that was pre-planned by me and not a self absorbed piece of narcissism for mirror starers who want to see that extra bit of ripped muscle every time they have been round the same damn course they've done before. I don't need to compare with my previous performance for God's sake, I'm touring, I don't do the same route twice!
I think I may just ditch this rotten piece of plastic and go for the competition instead.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 April 2016
I can't understand anyone who had used this at any length for it's designed function, could rate this product more than 2 stars.
It's good points. It can get you through/around a city that you don't know, most the time, although even that can be difficult with it's skewed zoom screens at unusual junctions that are literally clear as mud. It can get you from point to point, along possible an okay route, as long as those points aren't much further apart than 30km, or you are willing to wait 10 minutes for it to load like a ZX spectrum.

Bad points. Ultra slow at calculating moderate distance routes, or even just accepting a planned GPX from strava. It is loses GPS during a pre-planned route, then you cannot rejoin it, and lose bleep warnings for turnings if you want to stick to the line on the screen. The device is actually so full of bugs and problems it's unreal. I can't understand any road testing passing it.

I used this device for a 3 month trip around Europe, and I can say that I have come away thoroughly hating it. From it's awful routing, where it will try and send you over completely unnecessary hills, when there is an easy route around which is barely different in distance. Even switching the routing options to minimise ascent, minimise time, minimise distance, often produce baffling results. Constant re-routing and recalculation is required which eats up the battery. It will put you on trails when you have said to avoid them, which is great when you are carrying a ton of weight in your bags and you basically only have road tyres. It also has a knack of finding longer routes. Perhaps sometimes this is to keep you on quieter roads, but often not, and I've been put on some awful roads by it.

I literally could go on for another few paragraphs about what else is wrong with this, from corrupt data...to whatever. Suffice it to say if you are buying a GPS to cycle tour, don't be fooled by the name and price of this one, I'd bet it's worth paying a bit more to save yourself the pain
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 August 2017
My first ever foray into the bicycle satnav world and aye, just the same as a normal twatnav in a car really, a mixed bag of annoyance and magic in equal measure. Just a lot more expensive than a similar quality Satnav GPS.......although not completely useless and a waste of time and money, this is way too overpriced for its quality or lack of. Granted it has given me some moments of happiness, getting me home from places i had no idea where i was or going. That gift is priceless and the reason i bought it. i can find north south east and west and (usually, depending on the machines mood) find paths, trails and roads on or off road cycling. However......this also does the dumbest and most frustrating things, sending me in complete circles for absolutely no reason, wasting valuable energy and time when in bad weather.....that HURTS! it once sent me into an enormous puddle of water on a VERY wet moor that nearly drowned me! Now obviously the satnav didn't know that water was there BUT as if that wasn't bad enough just around 20 metres away there was a dry juicy singletrack of hardpack bridlepath that the satnav didn't even show so it was completely unnecessary. using this thing even on bright clear lovely days with no cloud cover or obstruction to a GPS signal is a constant irritation and annoyance because it is constantly unsettled where the hell it wants to take you. Its like having a woman next to you reading a map and directing you whilst driving! Follow logic? nah, why bother? There are three different settings, on road, touring and off road. all 3 are essentially useless and haven't got a clue where to take you. It also can take forever to make its mind up which route is best, or indeed if it wants to even find a route anywhere at all......and on the fly adjustment if you miss a road because you are looking at busy traffic, or trees whizzing by and around you whilst mountain biking etc is lethally slow.....and will usually take you right back where you bloody started anyway....even though you are, in fact, pretty much exactly where you wanted to go in the first place! maybe not such a big stress in a car, but i'm cycling so i can't afford pointless detours of miles of valuable resources wasted like oxygen, water, energy and daylight! an exercise in futility is one thing, but i've had detours to get back to the same place i started so many times i've lost count. Going fast downhill on a bike i can't take minutes to wait for an adjusted route because i missed a firetrack etc. DANGEROUS. Also despite months of looking online and Youtube tutorials i cannot for the life of me work out how to upload a route i plan or want to take to a specific place. There is no manual and the Garmin online resources are essentially useless as well.
Map updates take about 30 hours to load onto the system from your PC and it just lost loads of data, saved places etc. in short, crap really for the best part of the 200 quid i paid for it. car satnavs have come a long way over the last decade, as have GPS in general. This pile of crap is just far too expensive for basically a glorified speedometer and compass. Don't bother, take a soggy ordnance survey map and save yourself a fortune and a whole heap of stress and anger.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 May 2017
I recently bought one of these for several reasons and not just because of the overrated unrealistic reviews I mainly bought it because I doing a big trip this year and the included map covers most of it where as maps for my old GPS will cost over £300.Firstly this device is very well made and although small have a reasonably easily read display.It feels solid in your hands and works pretty quickly that is until it calculates routes then it can take hours.The maps on this device cover a huge area but the detail is woeful for instance it has icons for various points of interest but it's incredibly hard to make them out and there's seems to be no option to add points of interest along the route like my previous GPS could do.The route planing on this device is pretty much useless for instance it's a very tedious affair planing the route as the device cannot find many towns or streets so you are forced to slowly scroll the map until you find your destination then place the little red pin there.Once that is done I chose to minimise hills yet this device takes you up the steepest ones and also takes you on some very un cycle friendly roads.What's even more tedious is if you try planning long routes typically for me 80-120 miles this device takes at least 3 hours to calculate it so unless you plan on doing routes around 25 miles don't use this feature! With my previous GPS I used to use cycle.travel to plan routes for me then download a GPX file with the route on which took seconds however this device struggles to read them at all.If you plug in your edge touring into a computer you can clearly see the GPX folder and new files folder in the devices memory card but once downloaded it is very difficult to find on the GPS itself and once you do it again takes hours to calculate the route.It seems to me that the Edge touring is designed for shorter rides not long tours and functions nowhere near as good as my 7 year old Satmap Active 10.The only advantage the Garmin has over my previous GPS is it is better built and the mapping available is much cheaper but this thing is so tedious to use I am contemplating either sending my unit back for a refund and trying a different GPS or going back to using a map and a compass.
on 17 March 2016
If I could give a negative score I would. I really really really dislike this gadget. I wish I had never bought it and just stayed with my phone. I bought the Garmin because Google Maps doesn't allow round trips, which for weekend rides is quite handy and I can't hear the instructions and I don't like to ride with earphones. In short: it is not easy to use, it is not self-explanatory and to get maps uploaded is just a pain in the rear. And don't get me started on the actual ride function. The only positive here is that it beeps when you're coming up to a turn and then double beeps when you're at the turn. The negative is you have to read the instructions at the top of the screen which tells you if you are turning left or right and the name of the road. During the day it is not a problem, but at night the back light dims after about a minute and you constantly have to touch the screen to bring it back on.

However, the biggest problem I have with it, is it always wants to take me on the big A roads - I have the A10 near me and every time I cycle home from work it wants to take me off the A501 and get me on the A10, which not only is something I really don't want to do, but it is also a massive detour adding on 4-5kms to my 1:30 journey. If I then continue on my normal route, it keeps telling me to turn right and eventually switches off. I managed to upload a round trip on to the Garmin, but it didn't pick up on one way roads so of course during the ride, I would then have to take a different route. The Garmin then has a "tap to go back" function which effectively makes you backtrack to where you went wrong - which if it's a one way system makes life a bit difficult. If you don't "go back" the uploaded route then disappears and it stops giving you instructions. Luckily I had my phone with me so eventually got to my destination. At least my phone it picks up that I have made a mistake and then either gets me back on track or recalibrates a new route rather than taking me round and round in circles.

It took quite a bit of googling and reading of forums to figure out that I had to turn off the automatic functions on the Garmin to prevent this. I turned it on to prompt, but then didn't realize that if I said "no" when the prompt flashed up that the Garmin would then just become a really expensive bike accessory. Thankfully the phone once again got me to where I had to go - with one headphone in so I could hear the instructions. On my last cycle, I put in my home address and then pressed "yes" to the prompts. That at least worked in that it then re-routed me if I missed a turn. Until of course it tried to once again steer me on to the A10 and again switched off so I couldn't save the route!! A total waste of money. Will give it a bit longer to see if I can work it out, but at this moment I don't trust it to actually get me anywhere and am on the verge of selling it.
on 16 May 2015
I've owned my Touring Edge Plus for a year now, and feel I understand pretty well its good and bad points, though it's difficult to find the good points. A few days ago I used it again on a long ride and, not for the first time, found the ride largely spoiled by the idiosyncracies of this expensive gadget. The worst thing by far is this: you plan a route, however you want to do it (I do it on the computer and download to the Garmin). You set off and all is well until, inevitably, it suddenly say "Off course" and then the dreaded word "Recalculating". "Off course" can happen even when you've done precisely what it told you to, and so (I learned eventually) just keep going and it might quickly say "Course found" again. But it might say Recalculating, and certainly will if you've done an intentional deviation from the route. Now the fun starts: If the intended route is anything other than pretty much straight line i.e. it's a loop or an arc, the Garmin calculates a new route directly to the end point while completely discarding whatever the original route was supposed to be. So while I wanted to do an arc-shape on cycle track, the Garmin recalculated a new direct line resembling in no way at all what I originally intended. And lacking a proper map, I was totally reliant on this useless and frustrating gadget. Once I was less than 10 miles into a 60 mile round trip, it Recalculated, and tried to send me straight back home. Unbelievable. I could go on about the terrible colours used which make it difficult to distinguish anything on the display, battery life nowhere near what is stated, and so on. Verdict: fundamentally flawed.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 January 2015
The GPS basically functions well, with a nice clear display, but the rides I've done so far highlight a few annoying 'features'.
In putting an address in it REALLY wants to know the full address of the specific house you want to go to. The name of the village is not enough. Does this village have a Main Street? A Church Lane? Faff to find it. UPDATE: This was me failing to understand the options. 'Address' does demand an exact address. 'Cities' gets you to a place. Bit useless if you wanted a genuine city, but perfectly functional when given a village's name.
It's really sold on the idea that when asked to navigate home it should take the same path as it took to get there. Out on Sunday, it told me that it was 17.6 miles to home, but sent me the 32 mile route I'd taken to get there instead of just doing the business. For about 5 of those miles, because I'd missed out a small turn to see if a pub was open, it was continually pleading with me to make a U-turn so that I could go by the closed pub again. I think it's very sold on the idea that users want to do the same routes over and over to see how much faster they're getting, which some people surely do, and more power to their elbows, but I don't.
It does record the details of your ride, but is awful keen on ditching one journey to start recording another. My 30 mile return trip was accidentally deleted because it wanted to record the 20 yards from my shed to my back door! You MUST conciously save every ride every time.
22 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 May 2017
Simply put; randomly shuts down without warning, insanely bad routing calculation (eg, I asked for a route to a local destination I know is approx. 9 miles away and it comes up with a 25 mile one), takes hours (I kid you not = 3 hrs +) to update maps and then it told me nearly every time I connected afterwards (3 of 4) that the maps were out of date! I'd seen a lot of the bad reviews and most were quite old so I figured now the Garmin Edge Touring has been around for a few years that the firmware updates would have ironed out all the bugs. That'll teach me!
on 3 April 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
'Tis is hard to rate: on the one hand,it does a great job, on the other hand, another £20 buys the touring plus model, which has so much more to offer that there really isn't any way I could recommend this version. Anyway, in more detail:

First up, I own an edge 800, which has more functionality, but is slightly older, with a less penetrable user interface. Largely, I think the interface on this is good, and certainly it is easier to navigate and plot routes than the 800. This isn't great praise, however, and as other reviewers note, this is a lot clumsier than a car satnav. There is one nice function, which is that the mapping can plot a random route round trip from your current location, to the distance of your choice. I think this works well, and haven't had the experience of others that the routes are cycle unfriendly, on the contrary, the routes proposed to me have all been interesting, have taken quiet roads, and offered a mix of terrain. There is also a whole screen dedicated to a compass, should this be desired by those truly off the map (you need to leave Europe for this, since the base map is a detailed, and Europe wide inclusion).

The unit's stand alone credentials are certainly nav-specific in isolation, but it works infinitely better when yoked to a computer, to plan routes using Garmin's Basecamp programme or the excellent bikeroutetoaster website, and to download data to Strava or Garmin's Connect website for post ride analysis.

Other than lacking in 2 key areas, the only shortcoming compared to the edge 800 is that there isn't any virtual training partner, but this is no big deal for most of us normal people, otherwise, it has most of the functions, with a great touchscreen, fantastic battery life (much better in practice than using a smartphone with GPS constantly on) good weatherproofing (if the rubber covers to the ports are closed, and a nice mounting system. The display is highly customisable, readable, and works whether wearing gloves of bare handed.

So, what's really not to like? Well, firstly the lack of ANT+ compatibility. this means that the only speed detection is GPS based, and this can become inaccurate when in even quite light trees. signal holds well enough to navigate, but not well enough for accuracy. it isn't a major issue if data is downloaded later, since the speeds over segments are calculated, but is a bit annoying on the bike. it also means the unit can't be used on an indoor trainer to log miles, and can't be used with a power meter or HRM. I can follow an argument that those who want this performance functionality can/should buy the Edge 810, but when the functionality can be had with the touring plus, just in case, why would you not opt for it? Secondly, the unit is much less useful for the lack of an altimeter. the "elevation corrections" that the mapping software attempts on download are usually inaccurate with the Edge 800, and the functionality of the unit displaying gradient is actually quite useful when is comes to pacing, and is a nice display option whilst on the road. Both are missing from this model, but available with the touring plus.

3 stars would be harsh because it is such a good device, but 4 seems over generous for something which is ultimately a hamstrung version of the device to buy.
22 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 July 2014
When I saw that Garmin had released a product specifically for touring cyclists, I couldn't wait to try it out. Unfortunately it fell far short of my expectations, with problems such as the following -
1. I like to plan tracks on Google Maps, then import them to the GPS as GPX files and follow the track I planned. This product does not support this, with constant attempts to reroute, telling me to do u-turns etc. It can't just follow the route I want.
2. It sometimes takes **forever** to load a track. This is particularly frustrating when you have to restart the device (which is frequently)
3. I like to simply display my track on the map, and follow it manually. This product cannot do it without a complicated workaround. Instead you are forced to endure the ridiculous turn by turn directions, which give you a closeup mode and you can't see the big picture of your track any more (so no idea when turn by turn is sending you the wrong way, which is frequently)
4. If you want to go out on road A, do a loop and then come back to the same start point on the same road A, it can't do it. As soon as you start it thinks you have finished. Ridiculous.
5. The unit is so focused on Garmin's idea of what they (wrongly) think a touring cyclist needs, that it is almost useless for any other purpose, eg, car, motorbike, etc
It seems this product wasn't tested by any actual touring cyclists. Due to their near monopoly of the GPS market, Garmin seem to have the same hubris that Microsoft had when they dominated the PC market. And we all know how that turned out. Anyway, I managed to sell my Edge Touring on a well known auction site, and invested the proceeds in a Garmin Oregon 600 which so far seems to meet my cycling needs much better.
22 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse