on 4 January 2015
This is my 3rd Garmin Satnav, and is a great improvement on previous models. The attraction (apart from the fact that it was on a lightning deal!) was the free lifetime maps. The problem is that in order to register the new device and download new maps you have to install "Garmin Express". Like thousands of other Garmin customers I tried to do this on my Windows based laptop only to find that installation repeatedly failed. Searching YouTube revealed this to be a common problem, with loads of supposed solutions that involve tinkering with the OS of the machine. Wasted nearly 3 hours on this, then rang Garmin UK - on hold for about 30 minutes, then eventually got connected and was told that this was an acknowledged fault, but they would email me a solution. The solution arrived but didn't work. More waiting, then connected again - and then was told that the problem was down to Microsoft, as they had supplied a Security Update back in August 2014 which prevented Garmin Express installing. Was sent another email, telling me to uninstall this update, then reboot the computer and start all over again. Did everything as instructed and again failed to install. Eventually got a link from the U.S. which enabled me to bypass the Security Update and install Garmin Express. About 5-6 hours wasted in total, and the failure to deal with this issue back in August speaks volumes about Garmin's Customer Service. Once I connected the Satnav via Garmin Express, upgrading the firmware was quick and straightforward, but the maps took 3 hours to download and install (even over a 100mb Fibre Optic connection). The machine works well, seems to be better made than the previous model, and the method of fixing to the screen is a great improvement - the ball/socket/rubber cup is fitted together as a single unit and attached to the screen, and a new simple "click on / click off" coupler makes the process quick and straightforward. The screen is clear, traffic system works well, and overall it is a good machine. However, given the Garmin Express problem - still unresolved as far as any new purchaser is concerned - I cannot recommend this unit (unless you have an Apple Mac, in which case Garmin Express should work).
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 August 2014
It seems Amazon are lumping together reviews of several different Garmin models - this review relates to the Nuvi 2598LMT-D EU.

We decided to buy a new sat nav largely because it was going to cost a fair bit to update the maps which made this model, with its lifetime updates and useful features which weren't available when we bought our last sat nav (also a Garmin) five or six years back, an attractive proposition. We also wanted to have all the European maps on the device and not have to fiddle around adding and removing maps because of capacity issues. We didn't buy it from Amazon because it was cheaper at a well-known car accessory supplier.

Set up was quite simple although downloading map updates took an age but this is more to do with our appallingly slow broadband connection than with Garmin. We tested it out on a few UK journeys that we are very familiar with to ensure it was working satisfactorily before we headed off to Europe on holiday. I have to say it is much better than our old satnav (which was a highly recommended one at the time of purchase). Routing was quick and delivered the appropriate route. We were delighted to find that if you divert from the route there was a much quicker re-calculation than the old machine, and without the 're-calculating, recalculating' chant that used to drive us mad. We also noticed how much better directions were - useful stuff like 'turn left at the traffic lights'. There is also a distinct improvement in instructions compared to our old model which seemed to notify turns far too early sometimes leading us astray and invoking the 're-calculating, re-calculating' chant. The lane direction split screen is also very useful - it doesn't appear for every junction (and frankly isn't needed most of the time) but it made life a lot easier going into Paris. The screen is very clear and immediately reacts to changes such as entering tunnels when it switches to a style more suited for night-viewing. It was also useful to know on the motorway where the next fuel services or roadworks were coming up so we could plan ahead.

The only problem we had was with the directions to a supermarket in Beaune chosen from the menu - we got there but to the delivery bay and had to re-trace our journey round the block to the customer entrance. On another occasion the map was out of date but in fairness the road had only just opened so I imagine that the next update will take care of that.

The one really irritating factor on this one was the English speaking woman (the default on our machine). To put it mildly she struggled with pronunciation in French. Initially this was very amusing (an Avenue Neuchatel was pronounced 'avu neighchaaartel' - it took several attempts for us to work out what she was saying and it only became clear when I noticed the road name on a wall!). After a while the joke wore thin and we chose to have instructions read out in French - I can confidently give directions in French now having listened to this for three weeks!

From our point of view, aside from a couple of minor niggles, we think the upgrade to the new model was worth it, providing lots of useful features, a better screen and faster directions as well as lifetime map & travel updates.
on 2 August 2014
Much improved over my 5 year old Tom Tom as you might expect. the interface is especially good and the screen crystal clear. Large screen means easy to see from both driver and passenger perspectives, very important as my wife argues with the woman in the satnav about directions.
This unit exceeded my expectation and I recommend it.
on 10 January 2015
This was my 2nd Garmin from new generation...and worked well initially on the outskirts of my city....until I travelled to Nottingham recently ..and got totally lost, as Sat Nav..road map turned itself sideways...and all street names and voice directions disappeared...Had to stop several times to see if it would work properly and resolved to using my phone GPS to finish my journey and get me home...Hence it went back to Amazon...Old Garmin Sat Nav of 4 years is still doing what it should do except got to buy expensive map updates....Not sure what's going on with new generation ones...Now brought another Garmin model...and if this fails will definitely be my last. ...
on 11 January 2014
Have just completed a 1500 mile journey across Europe having just acquired it .The problems I encountered were.
1) In planning the trip I tried to download Garmin Basecamp to my computer but this failed repeatedly.
2) Voice-over commands were frequently incomprehensible. In France she neither spoke with a French accent nor an anglicised phonetic rendering she just got the names wrong. This did not matter too much because :
3)She gave the street names you were turning into . Not very useful because you usually do not know the name of the street anyway so it does not provide a check. It would have been better to give the direction stated on signpost..
4)S lightly unreliable on roundabouts. Method was to tell you to take a numbered turn off eg 'take the third turning off' but would fail to include one of the minor turnings. Great care was needed
5) Once directed to a dead end. On the other hand once directed on rutted track through graveyard which was just fine!
6) Trip -planner quite hard to use because you could not enter where you want the journey to end only intermediate points. What you have to do is go to 'Edit journey' then 'optimise route' then 'Done' then 'Save journey'. Odd glitch as it is such an obvious one.
7) You have to provide an address for the place you are going to. You must enter one of the addresses provided and it might be some way from where you want to go. Perhaps this is the most annoying thing about the device.
By and large an excellent device and I would recommend it. Don't bother with the travel pack if you are offered it.It comes with a case which does not fit.
33 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 March 2015
I've been using the Garmin nuvi 2598LMT-D Sat Nav for a little while now and I have to say that my confidence in this device is very low. I've set it to fastest route but it regularly diverts you off main roads for no apparent reason and most definitely isn't using the fastest route on many occasions. I am intending writing to Garmin to complain about this device as I've found myself reverting back to my 10 year old TomTom! As an example, we recently visited Devizes and decided to explore Chippenham, which is 24 mins and 12 miles away along the A342. The Garmin Sat Nav very quickly tried to take us off this route onto the A350, which is 31mins and 15 miles away. Even worse still, when comparing a journey from the Limoges region of France to Calais on both the Garmin and TomTom, there was an hour's difference in the fastest route shown by each device. We stuck to the TomTom and gradually the Garmin recalculated to match the journey time as we went, although again, it kept trying to take us off the main roads for no apparent reason. This device has definitely cost me time and more fuel than my old and very out of date TomTom and I don't trust it at all, which is disappointing when you consider I thought I was upgrading to a better device! I think Google should bring out a Sat Nav!
on 1 November 2013
I actually bought this elsewhere (as Amazon didn't sell it), but it was very recently and I ended up taking it back so I wanted to share my experience.

I really wanted this to be good as it should be perfect for me. My main requirement was a sat-nav, with good traffic that I didn't have to connect to my phone and that I didn't have to update too often and this ticked all the boxes. The digital traffic sounds great, as do lifetime maps and traffic plus Bluetooth, voice activation and lots of other goodies. However sadly it lets itself down quite badly.

Firstly the good bits:

It does look and feel nice, stylish and the menus are nice, clear and obvious. There isn't a manual which I know some people won't like, but the help on the device does work well and is fairly intuitive.

The voice command worked well, although I did have to repeat myself occasionally.

It recalculates quickly and the screen and voice prompts are clear, it will get you there and it is easy to use.

The traffic works quite well, it seemed pretty accurate, updates quickly, offers alternative routes and gives good information.

And now the bad bits:

There are a few minor niggles, the hands free phone worked, but when the voice directions were set at a reasonable level I had to increase the volume when I answered the phone or I couldn't hear it...not very handy or safe when driving along (although this may have been changeable in settings, but I couldn't find it).

The active lane guidance is a nice feature, but often the picture of the junction is the actual junction rather than the lanes leading up to it. What this means is that to be at a point o recognise the photo then it's too late to do anything about it. So i do wonder how useful it is.

A slighlty bigger niggle is that the time estimation is very poor and overestimates, specifically on non-motorways. It may be because that it uses `real' journey data, but it seems that it allows approx 1 min waiting at every junction or roundabout. To give you an idea, my local supermarket is 6 mins away (which is what my old `basic' garmin sat-nav said) but the 2598 reckoned 10 mins. Another local journey in perfect conditions (i.e. my old sat nav) is 30 mins, it took 32, this unit estimated 41 (and it didn't think there was traffic, this was just bad timing). In case you might think this is me driving super fast etc, I don't (my wife says I drive "like a granny") and I was always late base on old sat-nav.

But the really big one, the one that means I've given it a low score and the reason I have taken it back, is that the unit doesn't find the best route to your destination. It seemed a bit odd on my first long journey, it said use the motorway when I thought cutting across country would be better. I ignored it and cut across, the unit initially added 10 mins, but then as i drove took off 25 mins, on a 1 hour journey, so my way was quicker. Odd, so I checked the trip to my parents (a 1hr route I know well). There are two options; M6 or M5 (round Brum). Perfect traffic (i.e. old sat-nav, online route predictors) M6 is 6 mins faster, but in reality the M6 takes longer (there is always traffic and roadworks). This unit added 20 mins to the `perfect' M6 journey (with no traffic)...this is presumably allowing for the `realistic journey times' mentioned above, fine, the M6 does take longer...so why doesn't it send me down the M5? (Incidentally I tried this on the TomTom real traffic web page and it did send me down the M5!)

I tried this on a couple of other journeys i know too and it seems to do the same thing. Pick the best route under ideal conditions and stick to it, even if it has the information telling it other routes are better.

I am sure that the unit will get some good review on this site, because if you didn't know any better then it will get you there in the time it predicts (probably faster), but based on my tests I just don't trust it.

I have given it 2 stars as it will do the job (if badly) and has lots of goodies for the money.

The extras are nice, but the bottom line is that I want it to pick the best route to get me from A to B and it doesn't. A real shame as it was very close to being a great bit of kit.

ADDITIONAL:
Since writing this review I have purchased a TomTom 1005 (I agree with other reviews that the very latest TomTom's seem over priced and underspec'd). I agree with other reviewers that this Garmin Unit is much better, looks better, simpler to use, faster and is in general a much slicker piece of kit (i.e. you seem to have to press things on the TomTom to use the voice commands...which kinda makes it pointless). However the TomTom gives me accurate (to within a min or two timings) and better routing (it also tells you where the times have come from i.e. total time = best time +traffic + guessed busy route)...I guess it boils down to what is important to you in a satnav
99 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This review refers to the Garmin Nuvi 2598LMT-D EU 5" Sat Nav with UK + Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Digital Traffic Alerts.

We bought this Garmin 2598LMT-D to replace an aging Garmin 1690 and use it in an Audi A3. As I see it these are the pros and cons of this device.

Pros

- Neat, slim, profile and the 5" screen is significantly clearer and bigger than the 4.3" screen of our previous model.
- The mounting hardware is effective, although, I recommend buying a Garmin Friction Mount if you don't want to stick it on the windscreen.
- The touch screen is clear and responsive - the voice is crisp, capable of significant volume without distortion, and there are male or female options.
- The device is intuitive to use and the settings are clear - entering a postcode or finding an address is easy.
- The maps, digital traffic information and speed warnings are effective - you can still have speed warning tones on even when the voice is muted.
- When properly set up routing seems good and the unit re-routes effectively if you take a wrong turn or there is a significant hold up.
- There's plenty of warning and clarity about your next turn which is displayed in a window at the top of the screen, for example it will show in 17 miles bear left at exit 7 onto the A217 plus, closer to the junction (but in good time) you get a "photo-realistic junction view" which clearly shows you the correct lane to take up.
- There are hundreds of "points of interest" installed including petrol stations, hospitals, service stations etc.
- Voice recognition is good and a genuine safety bonus - it works extremely well and apart fro routing it covers lots of system functions including screen brightness etc.
- Garmin Lifetime Digital Traffic that is included is a gift - it works very well and shows the problem plus more detail if you want and can suggest another route. We were paying £65 a year for Garmin Live Services and this will save us the fee - it's £16 a year for the speedcam updates (you get a free 30 day trial with the unit).
- The Bluetooth handsfree phone facility works very well - it is easy to pair, clear in use and easy to manage while driving.
- The power cord is of sufficient length and doesn't protrude too much from the power socket - this is a consideration in our car because the power socket is right next to the gear stick - a blue LED denotes the power is on.
- Battery life seems okay at between 2-3 hours.

Cons

- On this model the power input (mini USB) plugs into the satnav itself and not the mounting cradle which means that when you want to put the satnav out of sight or take it with you have to unplug the actual unit - this is more inconvenient and will result in wear and tear on the socket on the device.
- The instructions are okay to get you going with basic navigation, but I think a more detailed description of the 2598's features would be useful - Garmin actually undersell themselves by insufficient detail about what Digital Traffic etc. can do and it's left to your intuition to explore many of the features which once "discovered" are great.
- There seems to be a temporary glitch in that the Garmin plug-in (Communicator) for Internet Explorer which allows you to download the speedcam data won't load on any of our PCs - this isn't the main programme to update the unit (that's Garmin Express which works fine) but it allows you to update the speedcam data. I'll be generous to Garmin and say, I think this is because Internet Explorer has been upgraded in the past few days although Garmin should on top of these developments.

Other observations

- When you first get the satnav you should expect to install Garmin Express on your PC and update both the maps and system software plus the speedcam locations - on an average broadband connection this will take 2-3 hours.
- Invest in a case - it saves a lot of wear and tear on the unit.

I think this is a good value "mid-range" satnav - the Digital Traffic and Lifetime Map updates add significantly to the value. Overall, we're very pleased with this purchase so far. Recommended
on 3 August 2014
I bought this to replace a Garmin Nuvi 360 that I'd owned for about 6 years. By comparing the devices, you can see how far Garmin have come in that time. Finding satellites seems to be almost instant, digital traffic is excellent and appears to be very reliable. I drove from Surrey to the French Alps after buying this and the fact that it displays the current speed limit in MPH in Europe was a real plus for staying legal when not driving on motorways. The junction visualisations for motorways is also impressive and was again very useful on unfamiliar roads in Europe. The Up ahead function makes it a lot easier to find, restaurants and fuel en route. I thought the 5 inch display might be a bit too big, but actually seemed about right. Very impressed with this unit.
on 21 April 2016
I have had a garmin sat nav for 5 years and had no problems with it. But due to old maps and no more updates it it became redundant.

I was in two minds on whether to go for a TomTom or a Garmin. I thought I would stay loyal to them and began searching for a Sat Nav that would easily update its maps. So I went for this one from Argos. (nuvi 2598LMT-D)

I don't know if it is the norm these days but when I purchased it, the fact that it didn't come with a charger that would charge from the sockets of your house disappointed me. I liked my old one where i could charge it at home.

Ignoring this, I decided to keep it anyway as the free lifetime map updates was a huge bonus. The same day I tried the satnav I noticed that it had issues charging so I had it replaced.

The second one worked fine for approx 5 weeks but then when the battery went flat it took 20 minutes constant charging for it to turn back on again. I found this shocking! 20 mins without a satnav when u are heavily relying on it was a total put off! SatNav not switching on for 20 mins whilst charging in the car was not acceptable. Argos wouldn't take it back as it was out of the 30 day money back guarantee and I didnt buy additional insurance on it.

Once the device came on i left it on for it to fully charge. This lasted me a couple of months as i didnt need to use it as often. I hardly need a satnav and probably use it once a month or once in 2 months when i am going out of town. The next time the battery went flat, again it took 20 minutes of constant charging before the device came on. Again it made my blood boil!

Today I planned a trip an hour away and as soon as i got out of the house the battery died! Again I thought it would come on after 20 minutes of charge but it didnt. It took me near enough 2 hours to get to my destination due to traffic and lack of directions yet the sat nav did not switch back on whilst charging all that time. Took me one hour to drive back and it was still charging during that time and needless to say it refused to switch back on. When I got home i even tried several other chargers on it using the laptop and the usb main socket plug but the darn thing is totally dead.

The device itself does not have a light anywhere to let you know if it is charging or not, but the car charger when plugged in, lights up to let you know the charger is working!

I used this maybe 8-12 times for good several hours each time since last February 2015. 14 months is not acceptable. I am thoroughly disappointed and annoyed! When you pay nearly £150 for an item you expect quality and for it to last.

I wouldn't ever recommend it. I wish I didn't waste my hard earned money on it and learnt my lesson the first day when the device didn't work!

Totally ridiculous and discouraged from Garmin now.