on 17 August 2011
Intuitive and easy to use GPS. First time that I have used sat nav. Have just used on an 800 mile round trip to south of France towing a caravan. Wonder now how I managed before I had one! Recommend this unit, especially if you've not used a sat nav before; if you have experience, then the following points may be useful to you: Recalculation on leaving planned route was impressively rapid. At times responds to simple navigation around traffic islands which do not correspond to going off the route! Had difficulty downloading update to Europe map since requires 8 GB free space on hard drive. Good choice of voices but pronunciation of foreign names can be eccentric (e.g. 'St Jean' becomes 'Street Jean') and, at times, incomprehensible! In remoter parts of France found that some very local tarmacked roads were not marked but farm tracks were so that the calculated route was effectively impassible with caravan. Not really a problem as we 'boxed' around the co-ordinates until a sensible route was found (rapidity of recalculation was helpful). Co-ordinates are input in degrees, minutes and seconds, which meant that we had to convert from decimal co-ordinates given in the Michelin camp sites guide that we were using - recollection of school era maths proved helpful! Ability to switch input modes for co-ordinates would have been useful. Prediction of speed cameras was really useful.
on 30 July 2012
Having owned a number Garmin handheld GPS I had great hopes for this device.
It is RUBBISH!
(1) It won't connect to Windows 7.
(2) The Spain and France maps are well out of date (UK is OK AFAIK. Haven't taken the thing anywhere else).
(3) It tends to go ignore by-passes and go through the town centre. Yes, it is set to quickest route. Itll take you off the main road and on to some farm track. A paper map is essential.
(4) The route planner is rubbish. Eg Dover to Brighton goes via the back roads. If you ignore it and stay on the motorway it knocks 15mins off the time. WTF??????
(5) It wont offer an alternate route.
(6) Pings incessantly whenever there's a possibility of a speeding camera; even though you're well within the speed limit.
(7) You have to accept the terms and conditions every time it comes on.
on 10 December 2013
I am not sure how I survived without a SAT Nav before but Its worth its weight in gold. Great if like me you like to drive and find your lost somewhere, you just plug it in and it will get you home, also great for finding addresses etc that you haven't been too before.