Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 April 2012
This guide is really useful. Not only does it gives you a full overview of the country, it's history and detail about all the different regions and areas, as you would expect from a guide book, but it also features a layout that actually makes it easy and useful to reference while you're out and about. Such as;
* a load of bullet pointed lists at the front to give you a quick guide of the highlights in various categories. There are page number references for where these highlights are explained in more detail if you want to find out more
* a list of "Dos and Don'ts" at the back.
* Travel tips
* a recommended route to explore the country
* an extensive collection of maps, including a pull out road atlas.

In the more detailed section of the book, each region/area is broken down into sections such as "where to stay" "food and drink" and "sightseeing". All these features make it a really easy read and great to glance at /reference while you're actually away to remind yourself of where to go etc, as well as when you're planning the trip. It's also compact enough to carry around with you.
on 7 February 2013
I found this a really useful guide and would look out for Marco Polo again when going somewhere new. Without this guide I wouldn't have known about the Hypogeum and the need to pre-book it as they can only allow 80 people in per day. It was well worth seeing and just this made it worth having the guide. I drove to Gozo and the guide took me to some fascinating places. I would totally recommend it. I also bout the Insight flexi map which I would recommend too as it also got a lot of use.
on 12 May 2012
A good value purchase. Well presented book and is nicely illustrated. The enclosed fold away map and plastic wallet are particularly useful. Contains useful information relevant to this particular area.
on 11 October 2012
Bought this before a recent trip to Lake Garda. There are 2 elements to this package - the book and the pull out map. I'll deal with the map first.

On paper, the map looks good. Nice size, fold up and comes with a plastic wallet attached to the back cover of the book. If you are travelling in daytime by rail, boat or train, it's fine. When you are travelling by car in the dark trying to make sense of random road signs, it is not the best. The main toll road is shown as a prawn coloured line on an orange background. Not easy to pick out under a 3 watt bulb. I bought a map in Gardone for 4 Euros which was much better.

The book itself was good. Insider Tips were in the main well drawn, however I was disappointed with one which stated a back street restaurant was well visited by locals for its pizzas. We went there, were served up a big cheesy affair which was fairly average, and watched other diners tucking into the biggest steaks I had seen in years. Bit of disinformation there.

However, some tips were really useful, like what time to hit the cable car for Monte Baldo, and which ferries went where. The book travelled with us wherever we went and added to the holiday.

I did spot the same book without the inclusion of the map selling for 12 Euros (£10+) in the same tourist shop I bought the map. At under a fiver on Amazon, much better value.
on 9 May 2014
I wanted a compact travel guide for our 7 day holiday to Lake Garda. Most travel guides covered all the Italian Lakes, were too bulky, and did not give sufficient information on Lake Garda.

One of the best travel guides I've ever bought. Unfortunately, postage cost me almost as much as the guide. I could have avoided this by buying at my local Waterstones.

The book itself is highly recommended.
on 10 October 2015
There are surprisingly few guidebooks concentrating on Lake Garda and I was prepared to make do with local tourist material until last minute research came across this small guide. It comes with an excellent pull out map of the lake and much of the information inside is up to date and very useful. The pull out map is replicated inside the guide's pages with much less clarity and it would have been better to use those pages to give a listing of the boat timetables, for instance. Being essentially a pocket guide, the book concentrates on sketching the major towns and picking out a few sights, hotels, restaurants in each but we found it ideal for the week long stay on the lake we enjoyed.
on 5 October 2015
Gave us a start as to what to visit on our holiday to Garda. But supplemented it with Trip Advisor reviews on places, restaurants and most importantly, gelaterias. Good map of the lake which helped us choose exactly where to stay with reference to frequency of boats and minibuses to Verona.
on 2 March 2014
In may ways this is a good book; it is well laid out and easy to navigate around and contains a lot of information about the Lake Garda area. The accompanying map is also useful.

However, I found it really odd that the book continually urges the reader to leave their car at the hotel and travel around by public transport, but it does not give any information about buses, taxis, ferries etc. in the area! You need another book or the Internet to find out about them! Information such as an indication of fares, where or how to get a taxi,how safe buses feel at night etc. would be useful to help plan how to get around.
One of the things I liked most about this book was its extremely simple but helpful layout. Colour co-ordinated for different locations including North, South and Central locations, whether you were looking for folklore dancing in Chiang Mai, or Pattaya’s floating market it is easy to search and read. Overall this is a simply laid-out book with many tips and secrets. We all know that Thailand is a world of alluring surprises distant and exotic, but this book condenses it perfectly into a hand guide that would fit into the pocket of any rucksack of any traveller. With the additional road atlas and pullout map you cannot help but think that the publishers of this book have not missed a single detail.

The aspect I thought was the most special was the addition of a ‘blogs, and apps, section.’ Sometimes the most important part of a holiday guide are the real comments made by real travellers and by having a selection that relate especially to the location you are travelling to, is extremely helpful when planning a trip. Additionally I couldn’t get over how extensive this book is as it really covers everything a traveller would want from a trip! I could not believe the detail and the depth that this book goes into. This is further seen in the ‘insider tip’ notes on some of the descriptions, these are extra special details that allow you to get the most out of your trip; these include secret, less known spots, and more extraordinary or unusual activities; so look out for them!

Overall this is a simply lovely book that really gets to the heart of what travellers want; tips and tricks fused with perfectly co-ordinated and organised travel destinations. If you want something that covers an extensive guide of a certain holiday destination I would not miss a beat in taking this trusty book with me, right away!

*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*
on 12 September 2012
This little book was of great help during my recent holiday to Corfu..... we took it with us everyday.... Gives really good information and is a 'must' if you are travelling to Corfu..... extremely interesting facts and 'honest' opinions!