- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
The UN Gang: A Memoir of Incompetence, Corruption, Espionage, Anti-Semitism and Islamic Extremism at the UN Secretariat Hardcover – 20 Sep 2005
|New from||Used from|
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Waste and incompetence are the least of it, unfortunately. Drug dealing, theft, nepotism, large-scale corruption, espionage, the selling of weapons and the manufacturing of propaganda against the USA and Israel are some of the other activities observed by the author. Sanjuan mentions the names of certain individuals and the figures involved in some instances of corruption.
In the 1980s, the Secretariat was dominated by Soviet spies who also completely controlled the UN library. Since the end of the Cold War the influence of Islamic extremists has increased. He suggests that attacks against Israel and the US might even have been planned at the UN. It seems plausible that UN employees helped to gather information for the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. On 9/11, certain staff openly gloated about the atrocity.
Most disturbing of all is the rampant Antisemitism that permeates the organization at all levels. Shocked by what he observed, the author made it his duty to try to combat and expose this sinister obsession of the UN. Sanjuan deals with Waldheim, Perez de Cuellar, Boutros Ghali and Kofi Annan. The Oil For Food scam is discussed in detail and it becomes clear that Annan knew more than he has acknowledged up to now.
The author concludes the book with 10 proposed reforms that may bring about transparency and efficiency. Of course, nothing will come of this. This irredeemably corrupt and loathsome organization cannot be reformed. One can only hope that the American taxpayers who are funding these parasites will one day decide that enough is enough. The best outcome would be if the USA kicks the ghastly institution out of the country.
For further information, I recommend Tower of Babble: How the United Nations Has Fueled Global Chaos by Dore Gold, Inside the Asylum: Why the United Nations and Old Europe Are Worse Than You Think by Jed Babbin, Global Deception by Joseph A Klein, The Beast on the East River by Nathan Tabor and Nations United: How the United Nations Is Undermining Israel and the West by Alex Grobman and The UN Exposed by Eric Shawn.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
1) During the Cold War, the UN was infiltrated with Soviet agents who used its library as well as other UN sources to effectively spy on the US.
2) There is much corruption in the UN. For example, to solicit business, private enterprises pay UN officials under the table for lucrative contracts.
3) Various of the global programs performed by the UN such as the Oil for Food have had funds stolen by UN officials, their business associates, or corrupt government members of other countries and the programs frequently don't benefit their intended recipients.
4) Much anti-semitism exists in the UN and both Jews and Israel are heavily discriminated against.
5) According to the author, the UN also serves as a place where terrorist sympathizers congregate to denounce and plot against their intended victims.
Although I recognize that all nonfiction books are to some degree one-sided, I enjoyed this one and learned a good deal from it.