Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Edition - Sgt. Pepper Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Jul 2011, 12:17:28 BST
Help me out here ? my 14 year old son is looking for an Intel 17 750 Quad processor, and has identified crystech as a possible source GX3. I don't understand all the components and what he needs, but we do need to get the price as competitive as we can !!. He is heavily into gaming and wants to be able to edit. I don't know whether we might get the price down by having it built or whether to go for a package such as Crystech ?

Posted on 13 Sep 2011, 18:01:27 BST
Lisha says:
Sorry there were no replies. Did you sort out your son's PC? I've just built my boyfriend an Intel i7 950 machine with good cooler, LightScribe DVD burner, 8GB DD3 memory, 500GB hard drive, 700w power supply, etc. - and you can get all that for around £600 (if you already have your own graphics card). It's far, far cheaper to build your own system or get someone to make it for you (of course, there would be labour costs on top, too, though).

I'd offer to help, but I suspect you've already bought one.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2011, 05:08:30 BST
Last edited by the author on 8 Oct 2011, 05:19:01 BST
D. Birkhead says:
If you want to save a few pennies the i5 processors are just as capable in terms of gaming aspects and run as well as the i7 chips in most circumstances, although I suspect hes very fussy about the system.
Speaking as an IT technician and a computer science student, you will also need a good power supply, were talking Amps aswell as Wattage here, as many graphics cards ask more of cheaper power supplies that have lower Amps. He's also likely to go through a few graphic cards before that system becomes 'old' as theyre the simplest way and most important part to upgrade in order to get a performance kick gaming and graphics wise. I'd recomend atleast 750Watts minimum, with 60 Amps on the 12V rail for the Power Supply (this should be listed under the details of the power supply). Good brands to go for that I would recommend are; Coolermaster, ThermalTake, Corsair, and OCZ. If the motherboard supports more than 1 graphics card and hes hoping for that kind of setup add about 150Watts. It's always best to have some headroom with Power supplies, as they dont use the full rated amount unless its required. eg. If a system only asks 500W of a 750W power supply it will simply draw the 500W and have an easier time doing it than a 550W power supply would. It should have an longer life and will run much cooler too.

As the above poster says I suspect you have already bought the system too, but if you need anymore advice I'll be happy to help, just post back here.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  21 Jul 2011
Latest post:  8 Oct 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers