on 22 March 2017
Well, in terms of reviewing the product, This was a kindle purchase so instant delivery and no faults in the coding. Regarding the product itself, if you are reading this you will no doubt know it is a now one of the best loved TV franchises ever so I wont delve too much into the plot but my experience of reading is as follows;

I bought this on the back of loving the TV show and have found that the show follows the book quite closely. I thought there may be a wealth of back story and sub plots that the series hadn't picked up on but if i'm honest, there wasn't a great deal. There is some good character development and if you are in the same situation as me I would say go for it definitely as when taken as a stand alone product, this is an enjoyable read, isn't too heavy and moves along at a good pace. It never gets boring, it is just a shame that having seen the series already, some of the visualization is taken away - Ned Stark is always Sean Bean in my head.

I wish I had read this before I watched the TV show so I could give a more impartial view of the book alone but being a huge fan of the show, I would recommend this highly and will be buying the next one in the series shortly. Very enjoyable.
on 19 October 2015
I fall into the category of watching the TV show before reading the books, which I'm going to guess gives you a different experience.

I absolutely loved the depth this book goes, a depth no TV series or film could ever manage to portray. I was hooked from the very first page and stayed that way through the whole book, all 800+ pages of it.

I really liked that each chapter was a different character's POV and as with the TV show, I enjoyed some characters much more than others. Tyron is even wittier and likeable in the book than the TV show, I found Sansa a little boring but found a whole new level to Catelyn that I didn't get from the show.

Jon and Robb remain two of my favourite characters and it was fantastic to get more of an insight into Jon and how Robb felt having to go into battle and grow up quickly when things changed in Kings Landing. You get a real idea of just how young these characters are, the Stark children and Daenerys especially and their storylines seems more brutal for it.

I took my time reading this, not wanting to rush through it and miss important parts, I don't think anyone should rush it, it's a story to take your time with. GRRM weaves and incredible tapestry with his words and paints a word so clear, you are sure it's real. Being as I watched the show first, I expected to picture the actors as I read rather than the characters GRRM created, this didn't happen however and I feel that is tenement to GRRM's writing.

I've just downloaded the next book and can't wait to jump in. Absolutely worth more than 5* in my opinion.
on 24 March 2017
Simply awesome!

The first book of the song of ice and fire saga gripped me within the first few pages and I couldn't put it down. I really like how each chapter is based upon the character's view point. This made me feel connected to the character and empathise what they were going through.

Lots of twists and turns, recommended to anyone who likes fantasy.
on 31 August 2015
**4.5 Stars**

I started reading this after season 5 had finished, so I already knew what to expect but that didn't take anything away from the story. Although I'm already a GOT fan, this had me hooked from start to finish. It didn't matter that I knew what was going to happen or to whom, I still found myself shedding a tear at certain scenes, getting angry with certain characters, and falling in love with others.

George R.R. Martin's writing is fluid, and I found it very difficult to put the book down. I even ended up taking it to work with me, just so I could read a chapter during my coffee break! The only reason I haven't given it 5-stars is because of the list of names that gets reeled off from time-to-time, when I know that they're not going to make a reappearance. I found them unnecessary and on occasion I became confused as to who was who, despite having seen the series.

This is definitely one of those books that is better than the TV series - you learn a lot more about the characters, a lot more back story and history, and I found myself becoming more attached to them. I've now started reading Book 2, and would highly recommend any historical fantasy fan to pick this series up.
on 8 March 2017
The first TV series followed the book quite closely so to an extent I've had spoilers. However if anything it helped. In normal circumstance I would have had to make notes on who is who so I could follow it, but the TV series made it a lot easier.

The style flows smoothly, adding a fair bit of depth to the story. I am surprised just how much I enjoyed reading it.
on 28 May 2012
I bought this book because it was on offer from Amazon for £1.99. Good move by Amazon as I have now bought the following three books for around £22! It took a while to get into it; the main problem being the huge number of characters and the overall complexity of the story. I started off looking for family trees on the internet and that got me off to a bit of a start, and then I installed a couple of apps for my iPod Touch, which covered all of the characters, the houses, the religions and so on - and I was away! So, if you're going to get into this series you need to put in a bit of work at the beginning to get on track, and of course save your pennies to buy the rest of the series, because you will. You definitely will!

For info, the apps I installed were were "Game of Thrones Wiki" - needs connection to the internet and "Game of Thrones - Companion" - works offline.
on 9 July 2017
If like me you are a fan of the Game of Thrones TV show then I highly recommend you read this book. I started to read the book during the long break between season 6 & 7 and I'm so glad I did. There is so much detail it is not hard to imagine the scene being written. There are the familiar characters and events but the book includes so much more information that they would need to make a seasons 30 episodes long to fit it all in. I also like the appendix (normally a section I would skin over) as it gives you a breakdown of each of the prominent families and who allies with whom. A very good and imaginative read
on 18 May 2017
When your completely obsessed with Game of Thrones, have watched all the series 3 times over, bought the book but are too Lady to read it, this is perfect....you can say 'Tyrion doesn't look like that!' and 'That's what happens on TV!'. All 4 books cover Season 1.
on 30 April 2017
This is one of the best books I have ever read, the tv series has hardly varies from the book. Therefore one can picture the characters as if they were real. Can't wait to read the other titles. A very talented author indeed.
on 30 March 2017
I'm not a man of words. George R R Martin is. Gripping story, fantastic scenes, easy to follow storyline. I'm not English and have learnt some beautiful, unique and old English words.
Maybe a bit too many characters and names for my liking :)
I recommend this book to everyone who likes medieval topics and fantasy.