Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Sep 2008 11:20:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Sep 2008 11:32:05 BDT
Misza says:
hello hello,

so far we are rather unhappy bunch of players in the EU. GOA messed up again. No open beta per say - their system crashes every few minutes, its really hard to open acc's etc. some of those killed DAoC. Add bad CS and you will have a full pic. Hopefully Mythic/EA will step in and tidy up the mess. I am seriously considering to cancel EU WAR order and move to US. Had enough of those amateurs from GOA.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2008 12:14:34 BDT
S. Smith says:
I'd advise anyone thinking of getting the game to check out the many, many posts over at warhameralliance about GOA

The game has promise, I won't deny that, would even like to comment on it but as I'm one of the many thousands waiting to try open beta, something I paid for being a collectors edition pre-order customer, I can't.

Read up on it for yourself, make an informed decision about whether to wait or not.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2008 12:48:30 BDT
M. Maynard says:
I agree totally, I've put up a review of this item - it doesnt seem to have appeared yet on the item page. IMHO when a person buys an MMO game it is perfectly legitimate to review the game based on the customer support they are likely to recieve not just the game itself. Why then is there only one review on the product page? why are people not being allowed to know the car crash that is GOA customer support before they shell out their hard earned on this product?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2008 18:26:26 BDT
A. Geraghty says:
I also agree. GOA have mishandled the release of yet another European version of a US game. If you want to buy and play this game ensure you get the North American version.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2008 13:06:28 BDT
M. Scott says:
Ok, GOA has severely let everyone down in the EU, but people giving the game 1star based on something that has nothing to do with the game itself is just pathetic! It is Beta, hence it is still in a test phase....so this means finding and fixing bugs like what has been experienced.

Unfortunately people seem to be under the misguided impression that an open beta just means they get to play it free and before anyone else....wrong i'm afraid. If people stop complaining and work together with Mythic and GOA to try and solve these problems rather than giving a lot of grief because you can't immerse yourself in the game just yet then you may actually find that you get a better game at the end.

There is still 8 days by my watch until open release....Open Beta was just a way of getting people to pre-order and a last minute chance to get the game and the infrastructure tested before release. Clearly there are issues but bad reviews based on something that is still technically under development is just showing your immaturity....."But I want it NOOOOWWW!!!!!" attitudes are not the answer!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2008 14:30:08 BDT
NATAS.k says:
Here, here. Couldn't have said it better myself.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2008 14:32:34 BDT
S. Smith says:
I wouldn't say any of the negative reviews are of the "wants to play now" variety, it's more to do with what many feel to be a completely sub-standard and offensive approach to customer service from GOA, hence people advising get the American version.
There's no visible timeline for when they expect things to be fixed, there are apologies and blessings and people asking us to be patient, but surely the launch is one of the most important aspects of a game, and as such they should have been better prepared. The experience thus far hasn't been reassuring.

The negative reviews are just the only way people feel they can fight back

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2008 15:24:48 BDT
Yet giving a beta game 5 stars when the launch is so badly flawed ?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2008 15:30:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Sep 2008 15:31:52 BDT
D. Whitehead says:
I said in my review that it's probably a good game, and I firmly believe that - it probably is.

Having said that I think you have missed the point, GOA were advised on several occasions that opening account management facilities on the same day that the beta was opened was a bad idea - this was made a point of several times *by the beta testers*, those people who GOA are supposed to be working together with - your own words (paraphrased), and GOA chose to completely ignore them and arrogantly profess that their systems would hold up under the strain with no problem.

The testers spoke, GOA didn't listen, chaos and incompetence ensued, people got upset - all of which could have been avoided if GOA had listened and taken aboard what the testbase had warned of, therefore a completely avoidable situation.

Without an infrastructure upon whic to provide the game, there is no game, therefore giving my experiences so far one star is entirely justified, albeit not the fault of the hard work of the developers themselves. to purchase the game is to buy into the whole experience, that is what my review is based upon.

As for the immaturity comment, the comment unfortunately cheapens the rest of your 'counter-argument' which is a shame, regardless of how wrong you are.

Edited: for my bad grammar.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2008 00:53:11 BDT
A little story:

A friend was absolutly mad at GoA, cursing, threatening every minutes for 2 days...then his OB code got accepted, he logged in and he magically completly forgot he was mad during the 2 previous days.

The "I want everything NOW" syndrome at its best. I like my friend, I really do, but I found his reaction to be extremly immature and childish, especially when I told him it was an Open Beta and some issues might arise.

The problem as I see it and as has been pointed out is that too many people expected to test a released product for free when in reality it is still in its server infrastructure final testing phase. Negative reviews solely based on a stress test where it IS the goal to push the servers to their limit and even kill them are a joke and not objective at all.

The game is fun and its servers, be it EU or US are perfectly stable with thousands of players online, no crash, minimal lag in big fights which is why people forget the previous days madness.

To be honest, I'm sure some nerds would have killed me in cold blood to get access to my OB account that worked right off the bat. That's how extreme some people are on the Internet.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2008 09:39:40 BDT
I agree to a certain extent that people should be lenient about Beta stages, they are after all there to test and find flaws with the game. I think where people are frustrated is the fact that they have paid for a preorder of the game, to guarantee access into the Open Beta. Now the price paid for that edition of the game is a lot of money, and you do get other benefits to the CE but I can understand and sympathise with people who are frustrated with this.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2008 11:00:59 BDT
R. J. Lister says:
The game has not been released yet, so all reviews - 5* or 1* - should be ignored until 14.09.08, which is when the game goes live for those who pre-ordered the Collector's Edition. It is NOT live now, so I implore all beta testers to do their jobs and provide their feedback directly to Mythic, who are still programming the game prior to its release. I implore Amazon to remove all reviews, too, as they're not yet valid.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2008 02:27:31 BDT
Mike Smith says:
Don't hold your breath waiting for EA - everything they touch goes horribly wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2008 12:12:11 BDT
Ian Palmer says:
Yeah I guess that's why their such a successful company, I am tired of the "its cool to hate EA thing"

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2008 03:45:53 BDT
Mark Twain says:
No. Just, no. Yes, it's in beta, and yes, beta tests are indeed tests, and so there are bugs and problems discovered/fixed frequently.

But! The issues experienced by so many players trying to get into the open beta are not bugs, they're the result of a horrifically mismanaged company. A bug is when an ability doesn't work as it should, or a player model falls through the world when running over a certain bridge, or an NPC paths into a wall and stays stuck on a pixel. Leaving tens of thousands of registrations/validations to the night before an open beta launch isn't a bug. Giving all those tens of thousands of people minimal time to download a 10gb client isn't a bug. It's just stupidity.

It could maybe, just maybe, be argued that maybe, just maybe, the massive rush on servers the night before the launch was an intended event, that GOA wanted to test their servers. That is, as we've covered, what a beta is for - testing. But then, don't charge people for it.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2008 16:34:59 BDT
Open Beta was free for anyone quick enough to grab a key. You just had that key by default. You paid for the Head Start and bonus items.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2008 18:21:15 BDT
Mark Twain says:
Which (the head start) I also haven't got.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2008 19:50:39 BDT
R. J. Lister says:
I think they're holding back on handing out the head start codes 'til the last minute to prevent people pre-ordering, getting the code, and then cancelling their pre-order. Just a guess...

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Sep 2008 02:49:07 BDT
Mark Twain says:
Sorry, to clarify; I've had the key for a few weeks now. I've just been entirely unable to validate it, or even download the client.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Sep 2008 19:47:42 BDT
There has'nt been any problem with key registration for almost a week now. I'd call GOA to check if your key is valid.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2008 13:05:30 BDT
Misza says:
To all who thought that I was one of those who gave 1*

You are wrong. I wasn't posting any comments regarding game. I was trying to sum up my experiences with GOA. And I am not a person who has no experience with them - I have played DAoC for a few years (first on EU-GOA servers then in the US). Why I moved? Well - GOA's (mis)understanding of the term of "customer service" caused many great players to leave for WoW and other titles. We were all the time behind the US when it came to patches and upgrades, and the best was situation when GOA lost lots of our hard earned cash and many unique items when Prydwen crashed. Thats what I call amateurism. And it has nothing incommon with the game itself. Somehow English EU servers got in total something of 70 ppl in prime time, whereas on US servers we had over 1000. Hope you can see the difference :)

As per game - I can't wait for my full game to arrive.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  9 Sep 2008
Latest post:  17 Sep 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about