Customer reviews

on 24 May 2010
I bought this although there were no other reviews at the time - just to see what it was like. I also bought another GIMP book at the same time which I really like, but this one disappoints me.

It's hard to be hard but ...

The illustrations are in B&W which is ridiculous for a book about colour image processing; in many cases it is impossible to even imagine what the authors are trying to illustrate.

The links to the web site which supplements the book don't work!!

The style is dry - it's hard work and doesn't make you want to keep reading. I believe that this is because the authors have fallen into the trap of describing/explaining what the software does rather than how you can do what you want to do _with_ the software. Sadly, I have written several software instruction manuals that also fell into this trap - and I was told by my customers how unhelpful they found them.

The book is detailed and contains plenty of information and I am sure I will find it useful for reference, but I cannot recommend it as a first book on GIMP or to learn how to use GIMP.
11 Comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 October 2012
This is an excellent reference book. I can't imagine that anyone would read it cover to cover, but every function in GIMP is described an explained in detail, in an easy to understand language.
on 18 October 2010
This is a very thorough guide to GIMP containing both theory and tutorials. The tutorials could be better explained and illustrated and it is not an easy slog, but perhaps that's more the result of GIMP's capabilities. There are not many GIMP guides available and this is certainly the best, and best value, I have seen.
on 14 February 2014
This is an excellent reference book for GIMP. It does what it says on the tin what more could you ask thanks KM
on 6 June 2010
I have been using GIMP to edit photos for my web applications and for our families to enjoy.
In the past I ave used Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro, but moving to Linux, Ubuntu and Mandriva Power Pack, I became acquainted with GIMP's ability to edit and create high quality images in Linux. This then persuaded me to use GIMP for all my cross-platform needs.
I did a search for books and found the GIMP Bible which was what I needed to help me use GIMP more fully. The other reason is that I already use another Bible the Linux Command Line and Scripting Bible, its a massive 809 pages and has increased my Linux skills more than I could have done unaided.

The GIMP Bible's 722 pages is a comprehensive and worthwhile investment for my cross-platform needs.
on 15 June 2010
I bought this book as a back-up reference guide to Akanna Peck's book "Beginning GIMP".
So far I have found it exceptionally useful and I look forward to using it in the coming years!
on 20 March 2015
Arrived as required. Thanks.
on 2 September 2015