Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

VINE VOICEon 14 March 2012
First, I need to say that this doesn't seem to be Season 5. It appears that Futurama (like Family Guy) is not released on DVD or Blu Ray in broadcast order. There are 13 episodes in this set, but it's not strictly "Season 5".

I hated Futurama when it first started. I was so excited for the first few episodes but it got boring after that, trying to coast by mainly on its irreverence while almost never expanding the range of characters. By Season 5, The Simpsons had a huge range of supporting characters, but Futurama rarely introduces new people. After a 5-year hiatus the show returned with 4 feature-length adventures before Comedy Central relaunched the show, this time not pandering to a young Simpsons audience, and it's much, much better.

With a few small hitches (mainly scenes involving Mr. Burns clone 'Mom') Season 5 (or what passes for it) features highly intelligent, sharp writing, loads of snappy dialogue, and some heartwarming moments. Even Hermes Conrad, a character I previously disliked, has improved. I just love his ludicrous catchphrases ('Sweet Kangaroo of Katmandu', 'Sweet Orca of Majorca').

Futurama has gotten better, a lot better. It's not a rival to The Simpsons yet, but the show can only get better and better if they keep this up.

Now animated in HD, the show is presented in 1.78:1 1080p with DTS HD-MA sound and loads of great extras. You absolutely must buy this.
on 2 September 2016
WOW! Season 5 is AWESOME 😍😍😍 I love watching this season! This is the first season to be the size of a proper DVD! I'm sad that there are only 13 episodes though.
review image
on 10 June 2017
Very happy this dvd box set
on 19 July 2017
kiss my shiny ^^^^^^ good
on 21 May 2017
Futurama at its best, what more can you say.
on 1 February 2012
I absolutely love Futurama no doubt about it! I quote it often on a daily basis!
So after the success of the 4 movies and continuous pressure from fans to bring it back Futurama has returned with great gusto!

What I love about the new Futurama is how the writers drop references and characters from earlier episodes back into these new episodes, showing a great deal of care and genuine affection they have for the franchise. My personal highlights of this Season 5 boxset have to be 'The Prisoner of Benda', 'Lethal Inspection', 'Proposition Infinity' and 'The Late Philip J. Fry', very clever episodes for the true diehard fans such as myself. I'm not surprised 'The Prisoner of Benda' was nominated for an Emmy. And Bender dressed up as Leela at Comic Con 3010 declaring himself 'Every nerd's fantasy' is the highlight of the whole box set. Plus Matt Groening and the writers poking fun at Futurama being cancelled with their 'new' series Futurella!
Futurama has definitely still got it!

I must go now. I feel like I'm coming down with a case of 'Circusitis'. What's this you ask? Just buy this box set! Simple.

Bring on Season 6! Hail Futurama!
on 15 August 2011
I've just received the discs today (not played the discs yet), and the thing that surprises me is the cardboard packaging. I don't like cardboard as it can more easily scratch the discs when they are slid in and out, compared to the plastic cases. Also the packaging just looks cheap compared to the other Futurama DVD products I have (all box sets and all the films).

Still, up until now I've been watching the series on Sky (at last...!) and it seems up to standard - in other words, it's good stuff! I look forward to watching the rest of the episodes without Sky's interminable advertising breaks and What's Coming Up Next stuff. That's the advantages of a Region-free DVD player, which is why I buy the box sets etc in the first place.

Hoping this Series/Season 5 gets a proper UK/European release very soon so more can enjoy the continuing adventures of the Planet Express guys.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 January 2012
As full as lovers of this series would hope of both things to amuse the kids, and adults. They are on such sure footing now that Fox gave up and brought them back, that they seem happy to take on all parts of the establishment, and pepper this with even more in jokes and asides than before. The writers have obviously been saving them up during the down times, just waiting for a new chance.

If you have never seen futurama, then this is basically a sit com animation about a group of delivery drivers, one of whom is from our time but sent forwards a thousand years by mistake whilst delivering pizza one night. His best friend is a rogue bending robot and his aging/ancient boss is his distant descendant. Together with a wide group of other misfits they get into and out of many scrapes and disasters, mostly of their own making. Not for the totally prudish (bite my shiny metal ass is Benders catchphrase!) but one I happily watch many times, and often notice things I hadnt spotted before thanks to the sheer detail of the jokes and animations.
on 17 July 2017
Bought as a gift!
"Futurama" has been a gigglesome hit in out house for years (especially amongst the teenagers) - running in tandem with/and as a close second to - "The Simpsons".

However British fans should be aware that when buying the BLU RAY - the 'US' edition on 20th Century Fox is REGION A LOCKED - so it won't play on UK machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' which most aren't.

Buy the UK version instead - it's a lot cheaper - looks stunning on the Format - and a quality space cartoon you'll return to again and again...