Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 26 December 2007
The title of this book is really misleading, because Belle is only a call girl for the first 50 pages of the book and then she `goes straight'. Unfortunately she also turns into a whining dull Bridget Jones type in the process as she obsesses about her boyfriend seeing other people behind her back.

Save yourself the bother. If you were thinking of buying this for titillation then save yourself the bother, there is hardly any sex in it, and she really isn't interesting enough as a character / protagonist to carry a whole book of moaning.

Woeful.
on 8 June 2013
I love the style of writing, you would think it would be all about sex but it really isn't, it is more about her and what she does in her life. It is very interesting
on 27 December 2006
What a let down! I loved Belle's first book. This one, was simply awful. I kept forcing myself to turn each page, hoping desperately that the story would pick up, that it would get interesting. It didn't. This book is boring and self indulgent. Belle talks for 322 pages and somehow manages to say nothing at all. I had hoped that when I got to the conclusion, I would discover why Belle thought her ramblings important enough to be published. There is no conclusion, she simply stops talking. I feel angry and cheated.
on 5 October 2007
I wish I had read the other reviews before I bought this book but I had enjoyed the first one so much it never occurred to me that the second would be anything but briliant. How wrong I was. The Belle of the first book was a strong confident admirable woman that I bet a lot of women secretly wish to be, call girl career and all. I loved her open minded attitude to people and found her a thoroughly likeable peron.

SO!! what happened in the second book? Well her first mistake was giving up "the business". Turning herself into a normal girl was the worst thing Belle could do because with that came the boring dull life and a personality to match. It is hard to believe that this is the same girl. She has turned into a pathetic sap, letting 'the Boy' treated her like garbage and making excuses for his childish bevahiour. Please!! I can get that kind if drivel from the stupid girls at work.
My advice... Get your sexy knickers back on and go back to doing what you are best at. There's no shame in that.
on 26 February 2017
Great. Lots of room for discs and a handy wallet with a handle for transportation.
on 15 February 2010
I only picked up a copy of this book recently, and having read the original "Belle de Jour" a few years ago, I was hoping this would be an equally entertaining read.

Huge mistake.

The original Belle was feisty, clever, witty and funny. In the second book however, Belle decides to give up the game and go on a long holiday, somehow leaving her personality behind in the process to become an exceptionally boring person. She hooks up with the Boy again, and upon learning that he is unfaithful, starts obsessing over everything he says and does. I wouldn't have a problem with this if the subject was over and done with in the space of one or a couple of diary entries, but the moaning goes on, and on, and on, and then some more for literally hundreds of pages. It's about as entertaining as watching paint run dry.

There is no story whatsoever to this book; it's just a big, dull, bitter whinge-fest. I wish I had taken notice of the reviews on here before I started reading what must be one of the most boring books in recent history.
on 16 June 2011
I really enjoyed the first book by Belle de Jour and (wrongfully) expected more of the same in this book! "Further Adventures of a London Call Girl" - she gives up her job as a call girl very early on! I feel cheated even by the title!

The book just goes on about her friends, family, relationships, trying to do a `proper' job, etc. This could be like any other novel about a woman juggling the various elements in her life... when it could have been so much more (the unique selling point is that she is (was) a call girl!).

Her character comes across as quite weak and feeble in this book (whereas in the previous story, she seems quite strong-willed, dominating, knows what she wants etc). But the way she keeps going back to `the boy' when he treats her the way he does (don't get me wrong - love makes us do funny things!), I'm really quite unsure about the whole thing. And this story-line makes up about 70% of the book.

I continued reading, just to see if it would (somehow?) improve towards the end - don't bother: I can tell you now that it doesn't.

My advice - if, like me, you watched the TV series with Billie Piper, enjoyed it and decided to read the book... READ ONLY THE FIRST BOOK! This one just disappoints :(
on 21 June 2007
If you enjoyed the first book then save yourself the hassle with the second. Gone is the sassy confident call girl Belle. Obviously a certain amount of it had to be a veneer but ALL of it?

Instead she is replaced by a normal girl. Ordinarily this would be fine except she has been replaced by THAT girl. The one you have to hate.

Whining about a cheating boyfriend but never bothering to do anything about it, bitching about other girls behaviour as if her own is exemplary and acting like a 12 year old over her parents divorce...

It's like she has become a nasty version of Becky from the Shopaholic series... the difference being that Sophie Kinsella is well aware her heroine is a bit of a joke.

I spent the whole book skim reading and wishing Belle would put back on her working knickers as that's obviously where her backbone is. *pout* I just really hope it was a bad year as I'm pretty sure she deserves better and am damn sure she can write to a higher standard.
on 7 September 2010
I bought this book after I read the first one as I felt it was only right to read the second. I have to admit I am hugely disappointed, it isnt as good as the first one, but the first one wasnt good in the first place.

I found this one dragged alot and some events were a little unbelievable. In some parts, the quick wit Belle from the first book pops up in some areas, but then seemed to die down again. If I didnt know it, I would of thought someone else wrote this book compared to the first one. She seems like two different women. In her first book she was a call girl, who loved the money, in the second, she quits over night, gets an office job, leaves it, and flies to America. It just all seems a bit unrealistic.

I got a little bored of hearing about "The Boy", and the things he was doing to her. Whether it was love or not, I know if I found my boyfriend, searching through my things, or seeing other women, I would of done alot more than ignore it. For a woman who seems so confident, and even more so because she is a call girl, does she really think that little of herself to be walked over, or is this just made up and dragged out, because she had nothing else to write about, and it just made more of a story?

We dont hear as much about the A's in this one, and they pretty much seem to disappear once she goes on a very long holiday to see her cousin in America. Spends more time ringing "The Boy" and never seemed to ring any of the A's or N, I was shocked, considering these are her "best friends" and always been there for her.

The way she talks about some scenes, I find it hard to believe. I have male friends and I am not easily embarassed or shocked when they describe what they want to do to a woman in the most explicit ways possible. But hearing "Belle" say it, made me feel like maybe a man wrote these parts? Even down to how she met people in one scene when she goes into a club and picks up a woman and instantly goes home with her, showers and takes her to bed. I felt this is probably more of a man's fantasy than reality. Hand on heart, how many of us, know people who can pick up men or women as easily, quickly, and daily as Belle? Seems too good to be true.
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2006
Having enjoyed the enigmatic Belle's first novel, I was hooked and immediately hoped there would be a sequel, which there was. It's a very different book from the first, because it details the tail end of her career as a call girl. Belle's wit and intelligence leap from every page, but I must confess to becoming a little bored with her relationship with 'the boy' by the end of the book. Her observations are still as sharp as ever and she's summed up the horror of having to deal with office politics rather nicely. All in all, a well written book, but it will probably disappoint readers who had hoped for a continuation of the first novel.