- Audio Download
- Listening Length: 7 hours and 24 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: Brilliance Audio
- Audible.co.uk Release Date: 7 July 2008
- Language: English
- ASIN: B002SQ47SU
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Furnace of Creation, Cradle of Destruction: Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Tsunamis Audiobook – Unabridged
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
The author also makes the material relevant by using the natural disasters across time to illustrate many points. There are over a dozen "Panels" that explain some of the most incredible natural disasters such as the New Madrid earthquake of 1811-12, the Pakistan earthquake of 2005, and of course the 2004 Tsunami in Indonesia. There are also many charts and diagrams explaining plate tectonics, ocean floor spreading, fault lines, "hot zones", etc. Add to that the many charts (such as the most devastating earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis of recorded history) - these all make the book an easy read.
If you were horrified yet fascinated with the 2004 Tsunami and the science surrounding our understanding of the events, then this book will definitely keep your attention.
The only minor criticism I have is that the author mentions the "shackles of religion" holding back modern science and seems to think that modern science has made religion and/or faith redundant. I would strongly disagree with this. But, that is a VERY minor criticism.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geology
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geophysics
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Applied Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Geology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics > Applied Physics