Customer reviews

on 4 April 2015
How good this book is depends greatly on your photography level and expectations. If you are relatively new to photography and maybe the X100S I'd suggest this is an excellent guide. It really gives you an idea about composing images, depth of field, what the various modes are, aperture, shutter priority etc. If you are a more experienced photographer, therein lies the issues I have with the book. I'd suggest only about a third of it is really about the X100S and that is mostly only because the camera is referred to frame the information. Much of the book is about photography, some quite largish images of Kevin's work used as padding and very generic and could be used in any camera book. The bit about the X100S is useful but to be honest if you have had the camera a couple of weeks and read the manual there is even less information that is useful, you have probably figured it out anyway. Without trying to sound like a know it all, but this book gives very little to the photographer who has already read all the basic books and been at it a while, it adds even less if you know your way around the X100S. I was hoping that a pro like Kevin would somehow give me lots of features and shortcuts about things I didn't know, maybe take me into territory that isn't very clear in the manual like explaining how the dynamic range adjustment worked, or using flash off camera, fill flash with the huge advantage of the X100S's flash sync at high speed. Very disappointed from that aspect of it as it gives nothing like that in any detail. The book looks nice and is clearly written, it has some nice street images and a few projects to try, but if you already understand the technicalities of photography and you have played with your X100S a bit I'd seriously consider if this is the book for you. I'm not trying to be clever, I'm not a professional like Kevin, I don't turn out images at the rate a professional has to, but this book really didn't give me anything much more than many will know if they have been at it a few years...and ;lets be honest, if you are shooting with a camera like an X100S, the poor mans Leica, you are likely an experienced photography enthusiast looking for a break from a ton of DSLR equipment.

** I'm updating my review. I initially gave this 2 stars. I think this was unfair. I still don't find this book has as much depth as it could, and it still has a lot of 'padding', material that could fit in any book, but I probably looked at the book unfairly. The two elements together do fit together well to make a decent illustration of how the X100S works, particularly in an urban environment. If you don't own many photography books, this is pretty good, if you do, then you will find a fair amount of material you have seen before, composition, lighting etc.. I'd recommend the book, probably the best there is for the X100S, but I doubt you would buy anything similar for another Fuji camera through duplication.
44 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2017
I've bought the X100T as opposed to the S model, but that makes no difference regarding the content. Easy to read and very useful, full of information that will help anyone using the X100 series cameras. I've read my copy twice now and feel well able to get the best from the camera. Recommended!
on 14 July 2014
An excellent book, written in clear, concise language with plenty of example photographs and 'screen grabs' to accompany the text. The author has a thorough knowledge of the X100s and has been using it professionally for some time, therefore the advice is coming from a 'real world' perspective, not a purely academic or theoretical one.

This is both a book you can read from start to finish, or 'dip' into when required and contains a wealth of information on what can be a slightly complex camera to get to grips with. Suitable for seasoned pros who are looking for a reference source and amateurs who need a good all-round introduction. Thoroughly recommended!
on 23 February 2015
Great book. Love the honesty and personality of this book. Very much Kevin's take on the camera and he clearly really knows this little camera well and exactly what it is capable of producing. I only recently bought the X100s and it is so very different to my Nikons I use professionally. Reading this book has not only given me a fast track on how to get the most from the camera (no offense Fuji but the manual, like all camera manuals is very lifeless!), it has also inspired me to make use of the X100s' discrete nature and features and to step forward confidently to expand my skills in street photography. Highly recommended.
on 14 July 2014
I was struggling to get my head around the X100S as it's completely different to my previous camera, so I ordered this book.
A brilliant, easy to understand guide with great photos as examples. Not only has this helped me with the camera itself, it's also inspired me to take better photos.
on 4 July 2014
I have really been enjoying From Snapshots to Great Shots. The x100s has some significant differences from other cameras I have used and it has been a steep learning curve getting used to it. Kevin Mullin's book has been excellent as a way to get back to basics with the camera, and has started me thinking about taking photos in a different way.

It is a well written book that is easy to read - you can either read it straight through, or dip in and out. It covers the basics without being patronising, and also gets you to think more about how to move your photography on, with some inspiration and ideas about how to get more from the camera.

Kevin Mullins is very well regarded within the Fuji 'community' - he is one of the official Fuji X-Photographers, and talks and writes extensively on the subject, and this book is a great way to get more out of this great little camera.
on 4 April 2015
Book arrived promptly and in excellent condition. I really wanted a book about the Fuji X100T but there isn't one yet. This book concerns the 100S but the two cameras are sufficiently alike for it to cover everything I need, supplemented, as necessary, by the not very user-friendly camera handbook.
on 5 July 2014
I recently bought a Fuji x100s and shortly afterwads came accross this book. It is clearly laid out and it is clear that Kevin Mullins is a passionate Fuji user. It is great to have instructions from a working professional who actually uses the same kit I have, rather than just a dry user manual. The setting up pages have saved me hours of trial and error and I am now ready to get stuck into enjoying this camera, in the hope that I can recreate some of the inspring pictures in this book.
on 12 June 2014
I bought this book as I was struggling to get to grips with my X100S. This book is what every manual should be - in depth, informative and VERY thorough. I'm now finding features within the camera that I wasn't aware of and am a lot more comfortable in using what is an excellent camera. Kevin is an expert on all things Fuji so you won't find anyone better qualified to guide you through one of their cameras.
on 10 July 2014
All I can say is thank you Kevin - this is superbly informative. So happy I purchased this book