Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 2 July 2014
these are great times for all those with an appreciation of reggae, with many available volumes of 'trojan presents......', 'island presents....., and now, most recently, the turn of virgin front line to furnish us with superbly selected compilations that are available for entirely reasonable prices.
this volume is a crucial selection from a vast catalogue of material, illustrates perfectly the 'front line sound', whilst avoiding the most obvious choices and maintaining a level of excellence over the 37 tracks. starting with big youth's blistering 'house of dread locks', a balance is achieved throughout, between singers, vocal groups, djs, etc, and although all the 12" mixes are by the twinkle brothers, they are all cracking, particularly 'keep on trying'. most artists you'd expect to be included, are, accompanied by tracks chosen as much for the way they fit into this collection, as for their quality, so a shout for the compiler(s), who've put a compelling slant on the way this album plays through.
suffice to say, whether you're looking for a good place to start with an interest in reggae, or a long time aficionado replacing vinyls, this makes for an essential compilation.
on 12 May 2017
Bought on strength of selections on disc 2 with the majestic opener by dulcet tones of Johnny Clarke's version of enduring Abyssinians "Satta A Massa Gana " classic.Will We ever hear the likes of the MCs U-Roy or I-Roy or Prince Far I again?--or groups like The Gladiators and The Abyssinians? not forgetting "The Cool Ruler".Forever relevant powerful messages in these Roots...keep feeding it to keep it alive. Peace and love
I can't believe my luck in that I came across this album as an mp3 download a couple of days ago for an amazing £1.28. 38 quality tracks. I've listened to them all and I'm delighted with the selection in this compilation. Laid back and relaxed and for me, at least half a dozen which brought back happy memories. This is what it says, original Reggae sound. It's calming and cool. At full price, it's still incredible value. Looks like I'll be adding to my Trojan and other label collections if Virgin keep this up.
on 14 March 2017
Great cd. With some of the best music ever made
on 11 July 2014
Decent compilation at a good price with many hard to find tracks. Wish they wouldn't print dark red on green... with my eyesight I struggle to read the track-listing. Highlights for me are the 10 minute Jahovia track by The Twinkle Bros which I've never heard before, Gregory Isaacs Universal Tribulation and U-Roy toasting The Gladiators Evil Doers. Too many Twinkles, Mighty Diamonds and I-Roy ... and not enough 12" mixes but great stuff nonetheless and a good companion to the Front Line Presents Dub which is very much part of the same trip.
on 13 July 2014
I paid £4.99 for my CD (plus £1.99 postage - thanks Universal!) and have (had) been raving about what good value that was, but £1.29 is mad. I can guarantee that there is nothing anywhere else that is better value than this. Even if there are only two good tracks on it, you are in pocket, but there are FAR more than that, trust me It's not perfect - as others have rather uncharitably pointed out - but it's pretty damn good.
on 10 July 2014
I really liked the Trojan and Island presents ... compilations but the Front Line presents Roots double cd has for me not the same quality. There are just too many songs by too many dj's: U Roy, I Roy, U Brown, Ranking Trevor, Big Youth, Tapper Zukie and Prince Far I. I Roy gets 5 tracks, U Roy 4 tracks but there was no room for Delroy Washington or Keith Hudson?

I wished they would have released a separate compilation of only dj's. Something like "Front Line presents dj's". Although they are deejaying over roots tracks, they lack inventiveness in their vocalline. That's annoying. And I don't care what they are saying. Some may find it genius, I don't. I like good singing and harmonies.

This could have been better!
55 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2014
excellent selection of roots reggae , featuring several 12" versions of mainly twinkle brothers soundsystem rockers .there are only a couple of weaker tracks but most are top notch with lots of tracks featuring Uroy or Iroy two of the best jamaican toasters .
on 11 July 2014
I had two virgin frontline complications on vinyl, which I picked up at Joes garage in leeds as a student, I am delighted to find this diverse compilation again as mp3. Takes me back.
on 30 October 2014
In the seventies frontline had great dub artists and this sampler is of the highest quality.