Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 4 November 2016
Unnecessarily wordy and yet repetitive, as a lot of the same info is given more than once in different sections for both cities. Also (and a worse offence really) the hotel I stayed at in Memphis was grossly misplaced on all the Memphis maps in here, out by over 3 blocks which was very misleading when I was planning sightseeing around the Beale St. area, as I thought I had much further to go than I actually did.

This is the first, and last, Frommer's guide I will get; I only got it because there wasn't a Berlitz guide to either Nashville or Memphis available. Avoid like the plague unless you want to be told the wrong thing over and over.
on 19 October 2011
Well at least one. I only visited Memphis but I assume the guide to Nashville is as good.

Memphis is a great place to visit and the guide was an excellent help in finding the best there. The reviews of places to visit, restaurants and hotels are excellent. Even the explanation of the difference between dry and wet ribs helped - we visited Rendezvous, highly recommended in the book, to enjoy the dry along with some barbecue pulled pork (explained in another good section). You don't go hungry in Memphis and follow the book to eat especially well.

It's also good on the different museums, both music and non-music. Memphis is not just the former home of Elvis (you don't need a book to recommend a visit to Graceland) and the blues (or Beale Street). It's also the place where Martin Luther King was assassinated and now the site of the superb National Civil Rights Museum.

All in all, extremely helpful and I recommend both a visit to Memphis and taking this book to guide you around there. Just a shame that I didn't make it to Nashville!
on 9 August 2010
Good basic information about Nashville & Memphis: the sights, things to do, hotels, restaurants, shopping -- even short historical stories of the cities and the main attractions. Mostly missed photos; hundreds of pages of text without photos makes reading really boring!! The street maps could be a little better, I prefer the way they are presented in Eyewitness Travel's Top 10 series.
on 26 May 2009
This book is well laid out and easy to read. I'm planning a 5-day trip to Memphis and it seems to be very thorough, whether you're planning a day trip or staying longer. No doubt I'll be in a better position to comment once I have been and tried out the various places! Good value for money from Amazon.
on 3 February 2009
Excellent guide book that tells you about well known and the more obscure tourist attractions. I especially found the pricing guide useful as it prevented the embarrassment of having to leave a venue due to unexpected cost.
on 11 July 2015
Useful guide. Good value for money. Looking forward to my trip.
on 8 February 2015
Perfect for my holiday in the Deep South.
on 4 May 2016