on 2 September 2015
I found the book to be a useful checklist on things to consider when starting, growing and selling a business but nothing more than that. Any standard business academic books cover all of these content of this book. What would have been really insightful would be more real-life examples of experiences from leading entrepreneurs - it seems that the author only considers members of the UK's Dragon Den BBC TV series to be suitable subjects. Of course the book has been endorsed by James Caan (a past Dragon) presumably because he is regularly quoted in it! There are so many more high profile and interesting entrepreneurs worldwide who could have told us their experiences. I was also misled a bit as I thought Luke Johnson wrote this, but he only wrote the forward.
on 9 March 2017
I was really fortunate to meet the author Guy Rigby in person. The book has steered me in the right direction ever since. The is the only business book you'll ever need, it guides you on what to do and when, using the years of experience that Guy has built up to your advantage.
on 1 June 2012
As an aspiring young businessman, I read this book with considerable interest. I used to be stuck in a rut, working in a dead end job for a joke of an organisation. I'd get into work hungover and slouch at my desk before sinking into a day-long slumber. Then one day I decided I wanted more from life. I wanted to be my own boss. I wanted to be my own master.

I consulted all around me for ideas. I spoke to my colleagues. I spoke to my friends. I spoke to my brain trust. None of them could help me. None of them had the ideas, the passsion, the know-how. I didn't know anyone who could help or who had been in that sort of position. Not all of us are friends with a Steve Jobs or a Tim Adams.

And then I read this book and everything seemed to fall into place. It made me think about what I needed to do to get ahead. It helped to give structure and detail to my nebulous thoughts. I quit my job and started up a boutique television company. It is thriving, so am I, and so is my colleague Peter.

This book truly is a remarkable guide to how to succeed. Bravo, Guy!
on 24 July 2012
This is an excellent businessbook for aspiring entrepreneurs, entrepreneurs who have hit a plateau and entrepreneurs specifically preparing their companies for exit. From Vision to Exit takes you through all aspects of running a business - from the heady highs at the start, through the growth stages and finally onto the perfect sale.

The book is well-written, clear and contains valuable information, case histories and helpful tips. It is a real compendium of everything you need to know at every stage of the life of a business and the comprehensive text, as well as being informative, also works as a reminder of the areas of your business that you might need to specifically work on at various times.

Although the basic principles of running a business are always unchanging, nevertheless the speed of progress in the 21st century means that more entrepreneurs will become serial entrepreneurs rather than hold on to their businesses for many years. Because it is harder to obtain funding from banks and because many more VCs and angel investors are taking stakes in companies at earlier stages, there is now much more pressure on entrepreneurs to grow their companies very fast and exit within a few years so that investors can take their money out. More entrepreneurs will be selling their companies for valuable sums at earlier stages and will then use their new money and expertise to go back into the fray. This alters the perspective for many startups who are having to think about their exits at an earlier stage than previously. From Vision to Exit makes this point very clearly and explains how to pitch for funding and what it really means to give away equity in your company.

From Vision to Exit is a valuable tool for all businesspeople, a useful store of essential information covering all the important stages in the life of a business. Highly recommended.
on 15 August 2012
The best thing about this book is that it is extremely comprehensive and yet at the same time a very easy read.

This country needs more entrepreneurs and I cannot think of a better guide for them to take on their journey. It is full of practical tips and also helpful quotes from those who have been there, done that and got the T shirt.

The plaudits from the many successful builders of business say everything that needs to be said about this book.
on 19 July 2016
Guy Rigby has written a highly practical book for any entrepreneur seeking to grow and scale their business. From the first couple of chapters which are focused on developing a powerful vision and differentiated strategy to advice on how to raise equity finance. Each chapter is supported by various case studies from entrepreneurs who have already walked the talk and have their very pertinent experiences to share, as well as a good "Top Tips" summary at the end of each chapter which helps to re-enforce the learning.
The Book will provide an excellent text book to refer back to whether it be considering the need to determining the right time to bring in the right trusted advisors to how to you attract and recruit top talent to finally achieving a successful sale of the company when you have made the decision to sell.
on 20 June 2013
The problems with most books about start-ups is that the authors are either so close to the business that they don't have a clue about how they actually succeeded or they are academics who "study" small business start-ups. Guy has had a great vantage point to watch what works and what doesn't. The book is an easy read, even through it gets into some technical points about what you need to do and why.

As a founder of many start-ups, and Cisco's 4th employee here in the UK, I can tell you that if you are in a start-up, you need to read this book...

David Allen
on 7 March 2013
Starting a business is the easy bit. Building it up, running it, and managing the growth is where skill and experience are required. Many will stumble or lose their way in the process of building their business: this book offers both the first-time entrepreneur, and the seasoned owner/manager, an invaluable step-by-step guide through the process of building a successful and valuable enterprise, to increase the chances of securing an attractive exit. A must read for those setting out on their commercial journey or those looking to take their business to the next level.
on 10 October 2011
This is much more than a guide to starting a business. It's a rich seam of wisdom and information to mine if you are in the business of running a business. Guy Rigby gives an uncluttered set of principles on which to base a company structure - and some practical advice on how to go about building your own entrepreneurial venture and taking it through to exit. Packed with specific examples and comments from some of the UK's most successful entrepreneurs, this is certainly one 'How to' book on the subject of being an entrepreneur worth reading.
on 15 November 2011
As a chartered accountant working with entrepreneurs for the past 20 years I have been advising clients on many of the issues which Guy addresses in his book. However, having read this book and been so impressed by the clarity of thought and the gems of wisdom laid out in each stand alone chapter I now ask all my entrepreneurial my clients to read Guy's book. As a result my clients are more enlightened and enthused than ever - which means that I am busier than ever. Thank you Guy!