on 24 June 2017
Just what I wanted
on 6 December 2014
service
on 10 December 2014
The first half of this book resonated strongly with my own recollections of growing up in the fifties and sixties, marrying and bringing up a family in the seventies - but then came to a juddering halt with Mr Feeney's adulation of Margaret Thatcher and Thatcherism more generally.

By the time we reached the 21st century, he had completely lost my sympathy and interest due to his maudlin and sentimental regret for the lost age of innocence - destroyed, so it seems, by IT, immigration and the EU.

Rather than seek to turn the clock back, he would be better advised to embrace the cosmopolitan and diverse world we now live in and try to share its benefits with our children and grandchildren. But of course that's a liberal view which is becoming increasingly unfashionable amongst the Faragistes of our hopeless generation. What a shame, when there is so much to celebrate in contemporary humanity and civilised society - despite the terrors of the unknown!
on 19 March 2013
I well written book that simply takes you back to your 1950's childhood and teenages and then the rest of your life to date. It is a book that you find yourself saying, "oh yes, I remember that!" The downside is, it reminds us of just how old we are getting!! Thoroughly recommended and a reminder of just how great the 1950's were. We 'baby boomers' are very lucky in that, I very much doubt, the world will ever see such a wonderful decade ever again. It was a period of true history.
on 30 October 2012
Paul Feeney certainly knows how to revive old memories. An excellent read, especially for us post-war baby boomers as the author describes us. Would definitely recommend.
on 9 November 2012
I chose the rating because it was well written, and factual I have also bought one for a friend for Christmas
on 16 February 2013
I LOVED reading this book! As a child of the early 1950's by the time I was born rationing was just ending. However it was a very memorable time for my Mother who was a young wife and Mother to be. As she is registered blind I found myself reading passages to her from the book. The first half of the book it was HER smiling, nodding and saying "oh yes I remember that"
The second half of the book it was ME! Beautifully written, what a talented story teller Paul Feeney is. Only wish I had a picture of the book cover to go with it as it is a perfect picture of children of the day. I know I shall be reading this book many times.
Highly recommend.
on 26 December 2012
Its lovely brings back a time when things werent so available and life was much more simple a more relaxed time.
on 3 May 2013
Superb book which took me back to my childhood. Have already loaned it to a few of my friends. Will look for more in this style.
on 27 October 2013
I enjoyed this book, it brought memories of my life to the present day and reminded me of what has happened during my 70 years