on 3 January 2018
The show was great in London and the DVD recording is good but I was disappointed with the CD. To start with it only totals 65 mins, so easily fits on one CD. Spreading it across two CD's of half an hour each is a joke, just to make it seem like you are getting more for your money. The editing is really harsh and amateur. After each song the applause is abruptly is faded out to zero in space of a couple of seconds, then the next track starts, it sounds terrible. Every other live cast recording manages to properly cross fade between the applause and the start of the next track, anyone can do a better job than this on their laptop with basic music programs. It is like they have just taken the sound track from the DVD and done a quick hatchet job on it and bunged the CD out. It would have been nice if they can included some of the dialogue from the introduction/linking scenes as well, there was plenty of space on the CD's after all. It doesn't do the show justice, and the price everywhere is still high at the time of writing. You are better off buying the DVD with your money.
on 9 August 2014
I have been looking forward to receiving this CD as I was lucky enough to see the original musical in London last year and this is a live recording of the show. It does not disappoint as the music and songs are instantly memorable and moving, portraying two doomed love affairs set against the backdrop of the US army in Hawaii before and during the Pearl Harbour attack. Favourites include More Than America, Ain't Where I Wanna Be Blues, Something In Return and Almost Perfect Lie. I'm now looking forward to the promised DVD of the show!
One person found this helpful
on 31 August 2014
Loved this show and thought as it closed after afew months there wouldn't be a cast album. The cast was perfect and the music and lyrics brilliant. Bought this as Simon as it came out and its lovely to know I can now hear it whenever I want. Already been played many times. Never reviewed anything on here before but had to for this.
4 people found this helpful
on 2 October 2014
was privileged to see this musical in its last month and again for its last night - never heard applause like it! If you saw the show, you will love the CD but if not, might be worth waiting until Nov and getting the DVD (which I will also be purchasing). Sir Tim RIce penned a corker of a musical and it was acted by a magnificent cast. Particularly brilliant was Robert Lonsdale - Fight the Fight is a stand alone track.
on 11 November 2014
When I was in London in May of this year, I checked into this musical. But it had already closed. So when my friend in NYC says that she wants to take me to the screening for the stage production in the movie theater, I was thrilled. I recognized the story knowing the 1953 movie version and the book. The music is good, but it does not have a show stopper.
on 17 February 2015
I was a big fan of the show and saw it multiple times in the West End. I am so happy I can finally listen to the music over and over again! Highly recommended.
on 8 December 2014
This musical is definately one of my all time favourites. From listening for the first time all the way through tells a great story i was hooked from the start
on 4 September 2014
Quite enjoyed the CD and bought it after seeing the show in the West End. A lot of good songs and the usual recurring theme throughout.
on 6 September 2014
I was see the show in London and know the musical, receibed ok, thanks
One person found this helpful
on 18 January 2015
Great recording of an absolutely brilliant show!