on 17 February 2018
I owned the complete DVD version of the serie but owning a 4k tv i thought i could maybe try out the blu ray version to get a better quality image and sound. BINGO! as a big fan of the serie for long time i couldn't be more happier: the sound is excellent, dialogues are clear and loud, the image fits my 16/9 screen and is far much sharper than on the dvd version. No distortions for exemple. While i am actually watching the whole serie again with totally new eyes.... I totally recommend it!
on 11 August 2017
My girlfriend was nagging me for ages to watch all of friends with her but she only owned the DVD box set. Being a bit of a snob I refused to watch them unless they were the blu ray versions. I ended up getting this for her as an early Christmas present when it was on offer on prime day for £45. I’m so glad I didn’t give in and watch the DVD edition as we did a side by side comparison and there is a night and day difference. If you love friends as I’m starting to then this makes for an excellent upgrade over the DVDs. Also comes in a very nice box set with 10 blu rays in each case which overall has a much smaller footprint than the DVD collections.
on 31 May 2015
Got this for my mum for Christmas and she raced through them in about a month. It went down even better than expected! She loved reminiscing as she had watched all of the episodes as they aired, and unlike me she doesn't binge watch Friends on a Sunday on Comedy Central. She loved the extra features on the DVDs, too, such as outtakes and interviews etc. You don't get that on Comedy Central!
on 26 April 2013
I bought this for my mum's birthday and we've been watching this through a DVD every time I pop round. I assume if you're looking at buying this then you have an opinion on Friends, I'll limit commentary on the comedy itself and mainly comment on this boxset.

- These are extended episodes, I have a very good memory and know where scenes exist that didn't before. I'd like to watch the originals back as I'm sure one entire ending and one entire intro are completely different. Some of the "extras" are good, others taint the series a bit. "The One With The Football", one of my favourite episodes, has some very unneccessary additional material that doesn't make it funnier. But that said, the ending where Monica and Ross throw the "Gellar Cup" down the trash chute, Phoebe is at the other end and then Ross has run down there is quite a good ending.

- Picture Quality is unfortunately a bit grainy, it might not be helped by a high quality TV picture. This may be, as others have suggested, trying to squeeze 5-7 episodes on a DVD and other features. It depends exactly how long each episode is, hard to say with the extra extended bits, but anything more than three hours to a DVD is bound to have quality issues. I'd rather have paid a bit extra and got more DVDs, but can you tell if something at this price is just a bargain or that price for a reason? Paying more doesn't necessarily make it better.

The comedy itself is brilliant, although I'm always apprehensive when it comes to different versions of series/films I'm used to. The main leads are all good, Ross and his sister Monica, Chandler and his room mate Joey, Rachel who knows Ross and Rachel from high school and comes to live with Monica, and Phoebe their weird and wonderful friend who busks, massages and is generally 'different'. The secondary characters are good, although there are some worrying inconsistencies within the 'history' and indeed different people play the same part - although they don't really spoil the series as much as a change in the leads would have.

If you want cracking episodes some if not most of the Thanksgiving episodes are brilliant. "The One With The Football" where Ross and Monica can't play because their mom told them they couldn't, or the one with Brad Pitt, or the one with Christina Applegate as Rachel's unwelcome guest of a sister. There are some fairly ordinary episodes, but not that many and all very watchable nonetheless. My biggest worry on this was watching 10 series and around 240 episodes, not something you can do in a hurry.

If you don't buy this boxset, buy a Friends boxset.
on 20 May 2012
I love Friends and miss my daily dose on E4, so had no choice but to invest in this box set! I was a bit worried because of some of the other reviews on here, but I can only assume that people have bought different versions to the one that I have.

The box set is as pictured and contains ten cases with six discs in each. The discs are all one sided and have between five and six episodes on each. After watching the series time and time again on E4 it is actually weird watching them on disc because there are so many extra scenes that were edited out of the TV versions. There is even an entire episode that appears after Ross gets married to Emily that, as far as I know, hasn't ever been shown on E4.

There are loads of extras throughout the box set. There is a commentary for one episode on each disc, but the bulk of the extras for the series feature on the last disc of each one. Some are a lot better than others. There are quizzes that are OK but a little clumsy to do and pretty easy for most fans. The gag reels are pretty good and some of the behind the scenes and cast interviews are worth a watch. There is also a book that accompanies the whole thing that has a summary of each episode and some pictures in it and is actually quite a nice addition to the set.

Overall I would totally recommend the box set to all fans - it's good value for money and worth it just to see all of the extra bits in each episode that the TV series missed out.
on 17 June 2017
It's Friends on Blu-Ray. Pretty simple buying decision, if you don't like the series, don't buy. If you've got Friends on DVD, probably don't buy, Friends doesn't really gain much from HD.

If you like/love Friends and don't already own the series, this is a great way to own it.
on 14 February 2016
As expected, this set contains all 10 series of Friends, and instead of deleted scenes as extras, the episodes are longer and have the deleted scenes included when you play them.

The only (minor) thing about this set is that each series case and discs have a colour, but the colour on the DVD menus does not match, and are identical to another DVD release: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Friends-Complete-Season-New-DVD/dp/B00004TIZG/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1455480421&sr=1-4&keywords=friends (So for example, the season three case and discs are purple, but the menu is turquoise, season 2 case and discs are yellow, the menu is red). If the colour mismatching does not bother you, then you will love this box set
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 December 2013
I picked this set up when the price was around £30. That works out at £3 a season! I grew up with Friends and am a big fan obvious as I bought the box set). Having said that I can understand why people don't like it - during season 4 the writers seemed to run out of ideas and pushed a lot of jokes to rely too-heavily on the characteristics of the main 6. Thus Ross became overly whiny and annoying, Phoebe became too 'kooky', Monica became the kind of nut-case people go out of their way to avoid and Joey became almost unbelievably stupid. Things pick up again by season 7 or 8.
The package is also a step up from the old series releases. The sound is now 5.0 surround rather than stereo and the episodes are the extended editions that were found on the US DVD releases. This can be a bit jarring if you know the episodes well (above and beyond the risqué jokes E4 used to cut out) and a new scene is in. They are mostly just the odd extra line but occasionally there are new B and C-stories such as Rachel's love of dining alone in restaurants. There's not much in the way of extras and the picture quality of the early seasons is very fuzzy but I get the feeling this is just due to how they were filmed and the low initial budget.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 August 2017
Anyone who doesn't like friends needs a checking over. And on blue ray you don't need to change the disk as often, I don't know if I can tell that It is remastered in anyway, so don't know if it warrants being on blue ray. But it made me feel better buying the blue ray and that's all that matters
on 10 August 2016
Excellent set, all 10 series in remastered hd.
They are mostly the American uncut versions, and friends to be honest never gets old or Boring.

Widescreen versions across the board, lots of extras including funny outtakes.