on 13 June 2017
This book could have been so much better, as the idea is great but not well executed.

I feel that the first half of the book is extremely rushed. I really wish that the author had taken some time to go into more depth about the village at the beginning. It just seems very rushed to go from doing a crime to being on the run.

The first half also has quite a number of irritating repetitions.
The word "watcher" and how the males in the story always seem to stroke her face or tuck her hair behind her ear.

As well as this the ever changing nickname for the main character and how her mood/feelings for other characters changes quite erratically. It makes it very hard to build any connection with her.

However, I think the book greatly improves with the introduction of Ruby and the story within the story. This I enjoyed most and it seemed to me that if this had been the main story and not a side story this book could have been so much better.

Some of the other characters though bring very little to the narrative and I wish they had been given more read time.

Overall, if you can make it through the first half, the second half is a whole lot better. I only made it through due to the fact I don't like to not finish a book once I have started it.
5 people found this helpful
on 28 December 2016
I read this in the space of a couple of hours largely due to the fact I skim read most of it. I would say I enjoyed it overall but if you asked me what it was about without giving away it's ending I couldn't be very specific and therein for lies the problem here.

I feel a little cheated because it is literally only the last chapter that really sparked my interest. I did warm to the heroine Elfreda and early on in the novel had felt intrigued by her sudden onset of power and lack of knowledge regarding her abilities. However, the ensueing journey she goes on just seem liked one psychodelic episode after another. She trains, she passes out, she lusts after Chevelle, mister not so chatty, she trains some more she finds a book with a weird love story, she passes out again and again and everyone checks on her.

Like I said the end made me want to read more, but having not exactly been enthralled by the rest of the book I wouldn't bother. What I will say is I thought this had real potential and I really liked the premise.
on 30 March 2016
The storyline here is nothing new from all the other 'teenager discovers hidden magics' books but the style is very different. The whole book is purely first person from young elf Frey's perception with no narrator expose or even hardly any peer group explanation of events. This means that we learn about the elven society and Frey's back story in tiny nuggets gleaned as the story progresses. This is particularly noticeable in aspects where elves are very different from humans and the characters behaviours or reactions might seem strange from our perspective. This approach gave a sense of mystery and discovery that kept me interested to the end and I look forward to reading more.
on 7 July 2013
This is pure fantasy, and immediately plunges you into a world of elves and magic - although our heroine, Frey, cannot work magic, and is shunned by her community. Frey's home life is equally dismal, as Aunt Fanny, a reluctant guardian, makes it clear her niece is an unwanted burden.

The story opens with Frey's accidental discovery that she can work magic, although her first real spell is devastating and almost fatal. Frey's tutor and mentor, the one person she trusts, becomes suddenly secretive - then a stranger arrives in the village.

Mystery, sorcery, and danger - discovering who your true friends are, and discovering more about who you really are - a great introduction to the 'Frey' series.

Having thoroughly enjoyed the first in series, I'm delighted there are many more adventures to catch up with. I've already downloaded the next, and it's at the top of my "books to be read" pile. Very pleased to have discovered the world of Ms. Wright!
4 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2017
An odd story, I'm guessing that it is young adult. The whole story is told from the point of view of the protagonist who is kept in the dark until right at the end. I considered giving up several times but I'm glad that I didn't as it was strangely satisfying to finish even if I did want to shake her into asking some simple questions from her travellers. But I'm not going to jump into the sequel as I feel that I've already spent too long in her head.
on 10 October 2017
I think this book was intended for young adults , however I enjoyed it quite a lot even though I left that era of my life behind over half a century ago.Well thought out plot and a lot of magic.
on 25 June 2016
I really wanted to like this book but it seemed that a lot of information was really disjointed and seemed to miss bits. I did enjoy the whole idea though and it may be better explained in future episodes so please don't let my review put you off reading it.
on 12 February 2016
Read this one because it was offered free in the Kindle version. It's part one of a very big saga/series but I won't be reading any more of it. Quite well written if a bit cryptic at times. About Elfreyda who is assumed at the start of the book to be an elf but who discovers as the story unfolds that she's half-elf, half-human. All about the trouble she has accessing and using her magic.
on 14 January 2018
OK read, somewhat predictable plot-line in vol one. My main issue is that the author is not good at writing action sequences, they're short confusing and seem to conclude almost before they've begun.
on 17 February 2017
From the beginning this story grabbed me and wouldn't let go. You felt sorry for Frey but at the same time couldn't understand why she was being so dense! This however was explained and then you wanted Frey and her companions to succeed.
So bring it on!