Customer reviews

Fresh and Light
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 May 2014
I love this woman.. I am a follower of Donna Hay and her cook books. She is an australian and has amazing ways with food, how it looks and taste.. Australians have a different approach to food than we do in the UK.. They love fresh, colourful and tasty food and they make time to eat and enjoy it. In this book there are so many great, easy and light recipes that I can create very quickly. I have to mention one thing here there are a lot of quinoa recipes in this book. For me this is an added bonus as I wanted to learn more about quinoa and quinoa recipes. Quinoa looks and taste like couscous or bulgur wheat. But the great thing about it that it is gluten free, tasty and doesn't bloat the body like the wheat products do.. I am very pleased with this book and highly recommend it.
on 16 April 2014
First impressions of this book were great - there are large, attractive photographs of all the dishes which make you want to jump in and cook them straight away. Its well laid out in sections (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks etc).

The recipes are well written and easy to follow, broken down into simple steps. A really positive factor I found was that the vast majority of them don't require a long list of ingredients. Instead they are based around a few store cupboard staples (or at least, they will be staples if you get into the swing of the book!) and topped up with some simple fresh ingredients you could pick up at most supermarkets. They don't require hours in the kitchen either, or generate a mountain of washing up.

However the best thing about the book for me was that all those things you think you should be eating more of (brown rice, quinoa, barley etc) but struggle to make tasty or appetising crop up in lots of different recipes. This allows you to replace pasta, potatoes etc with something a bit healthier without feeling like you are sacrificing on taste. The book even got some quinoa and chickpea burgers into a 3 year old whose normal idea of adventurous eating is trying to wriggle out of his chair and round around whilst eating yet another bowl of chilli con carne, so it must be a winner!
on 30 April 2014
I have got lots of Donna's books and I love them. I also buy her magazine. I think she is absolutely the best chef/cookery writer. Her recipes are very interesting, always using very fresh ingredients and the presentation is fabulous. The recipes are not difficult and quick, yet the food looks amazing. The photography in the books is stunning. I have bought 4 copies of Fresh and Light book and gave this book as presents to my two daughters (30& 23) and one of my friends. Everybody loves this book. We all eat very healthily with lots of vegetables, grains and little meat/fish. There are some amazing recipes using kale, quinoa, pearl barley, puy lentils, delicious light summer soups and lots more. The presentation is amazing and the dishes can easily be served at the sophisticated dinner party.
You will easily be a 'star of the day' if you serve some of the dishes at the dinner party. Buy, you won't regret!
on 21 April 2014
I saw the review of this book in the sunday newspaper. It is a healthy eating book with that little extra. I love the receipes, completely addicted to the french toast receipe and now have it every moring (without the honey) as on a diet. The cheesecake is to die for!
on 13 June 2014
Love Donna Hays approach to cooking. This book is full of really useful recipes and anything I have made so far has been lovely.
on 14 April 2015
Another great cookbook from Donna Hay, one of the few recipe books that are easy to follow and work everytime.
on 7 November 2015
Excellent ....use a lot. saw this author on itv interview ..very useable and. enjoyable
e
on 22 December 2014
Love Donna's recipes. Love this book too. Wish it also gave you a digital copy.
on 22 July 2015
Healthy smart food easy to prepare easy to understand and very tasty.
on 22 June 2016
Another fabulous cookbook, you just cant go wrong with Donna Hay!!