on 3 August 2016
I have the Duden illustrated Spanish dictionary. That is truly monumental. It covers everything from the constituent parts of a nuclear power plant, through the equipment and tools in a wide variety of workshops, exploded diagrams of vehicle engines ...

DK have presented a reasonable selection from 'ordinary life', in a sensible breakdown of categories but I was disappointed at how little I found in the 'building/plumbing/electrics' section.

I n September I will launch into the renovation of a flat in Valencia. My Spanish, especially technical Spanish to do with building work, is not good. The DK book will be no help. The Duden - about 2kgs of it - will be. But the DK will be useful in daily life, I am sure.
on 31 March 2009
As a graduate of french I wish this book had been available at the time I was learning the language. It really is excellent and it's hard to explain how good it is as it just has the same words in it as any other dictionary.

However the visual approach coupled with the compartmentalisation into intuitive categories which largely map to activities/events in daily life is alluring and persuasive - to the point that when you pick it up you almost don't want to put it down because you're drawn into looking at all the related words of a topic. In short, where with a traditional dictionary you use it to look up individual words, the visual french approach allows you to do the same but then see all the related vocabulary pointed out to you, e.g. you want to know what eyebrow is in french - no problem, but then you get to see the words for all the other features of the face - and body if you want.

Two final things. 1) a small criticism - for words beginning with a vowel you're not told the gender of the noun 2) the book of course needs to be complemented with other reference books as it focuses mainly on nouns - nevertheless, an excellent addition to any reference library on the french language.
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 August 2016
I'm a huge fan of DK books - they are stunningly put together in terms of presenting material simply and effectively whether Travel, Recipes, Science, History etc etc.
This book is not going to teach you to speak Spanish anymore than the OED will teach you English, but it's brilliantly effective at 'teaching' you the words for items
Highly recommended
on 13 June 2017
It is exacty what it says it is, and does what it says it does. Apparently some people learn better this way, but it's not for me (I'm making and learning vocab via AnkiDroid flashcards). It's not very useful as a dictionary - lots of apparently-common words are missing.
on 11 July 2015
Excellent book if you like to learn practical and daily spoken Spanish language easily. Also it helps you with correct pronunciation of words - I recommend this book highly because it is concise and gives you everything you need +++++++++
on 15 March 2016
Excellent book, making it easy to learn by exercising your visual memory: you're not just given meanings in both languages, but also a picture that helps you acquire the word. Brilliant!
on 22 August 2016
Ideal to pick up some basics but lacks on stringing sentences together. Too much info for the amateur traveller as it covers all sorts of situations. Larger than a pocket book so not ideal for a handbag, but is helpful nonetheless
on 25 June 2015
Brilliant book. So very useful. Have bought several for friends and family and have recommended to others in Spanish class.
on 15 May 2017
Very practical and useful pictorial dictionary. Also have the equivalent in German and refer to both quite regularly.
on 20 April 2017
I all ready know a bit of French from teaching myself from websites I have been using to learn and this has helped solidify my knowledge of words I all ready know, also helping me learn all the missing words I don't know. Very helpful book.