- Paperback: 368 pages
- Publisher: Times Books; New Ed edition (1 Sept. 2001)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0812931173
- ISBN-13: 978-0812931174
- Product Dimensions: 15.5 x 2.4 x 23.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6 customer reviews)
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
254,421 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #193 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Compulsive Behaviour
- #350 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Families & Parents > Raising Children > Special Needs
- #437 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Families & Parents > Raising Children > Discipline
Freeing Your Child from Obsessive-compulsive Disorder Paperback – 1 Sep 2001
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Inside Flap
If you're a parent of one of the more than one million children in this country with obsessive-compulsive disorder, you know how confusing, even frightening, the symptoms of OCD can be. You're terrified of losing your child and angry about the havoc this disorder has wreaked in your family. More than anything, you want to be able to unlock the secrets of OCD, understand the cause of your child's bizarre symptoms, and help your child break free of these disruptive, relentless thoughts and actions.
In her landmark book, Freeing Your Child from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Dr. Tamar E. Chansky creates a clear road map to understanding and overcoming OCD based on her successful practice treating hundreds of children and teenagers with this disorder. In Part I, Dr. Chansky "cracks the code" of the peculiar rules and customs of OCD -- the handwashing, tapping, counting, and so forth. She explains how OCD is diagnosed, how to find the right therapist partner, and how to tailor treatment options to your child's needs. You'll learn how powerful behavioral modification can be and when medication can help. In Part II, you'll learn how not to be pulled in by your child's debilitating rituals at home or at school, how to talk to your child about the "brain tricks" OCD causes, and how to create an effective OCD battle plan that will empower your child to "boss back" the OCD monster. You'll also learn how to cope in moments of crisis.
Part III offers specific advice for how to help your child handle the most common manifestations of OCD such as fears of contamination, checking, getting things "just right," intrusive thoughts, and more. Part IV is an indispensable guide to additionalresources, including books, videos, organizations, and websites.
Filled with Dr. Chansky's compassionate advice and inspiring words from the many children with OCD whom she has helped, this book will be your lifeline. Battling back from OCD is hard work, but with the comprehensive, proven guidance in this book, you can help your child reclaim a life free from its grip.
About the Author
TAMAR E. CHANSKY, Ph.D., is the founder and director of the Children's Center for OCD and Anxiety, and a member of the OC Foundation, the Anxiety Disorder Association of America and the American Psychological Association. She offers expert guidance on-line and in the newsletter for the OC Foundation. She lives with her husband and daughter in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
Very easy to read and understand , although a very large book but essential to have to understand a child or adult who has OCD.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A must read and had loads of helpful advice which we have tried. definitely recommendPublished 16 months ago by mrs. j. m. cotton
Excellent book by a very knowledgeable writer. Gives loads of information plus lots of case histories. Best of all you feel you are not alone and there is hope....Published on 12 Dec. 2014 by Sarel M
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Families & Parents > Raising Children > Discipline
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Families & Parents > Special Needs
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Popular Medicine
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Compulsive Behaviour
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine