Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 15 October 2017
Not brilliant, perhaps its because I have seen numerous films of Frankenstein. The book/audio does not ring true, although I suspect it's more the film industry have their own version than the written word, although this is a classic, I also read Dracula which was more what you would expect if you knew the story. I have given it 2 stars as I seemed to struggle with it but did persevere, this is my personal take on this book, somebody else may think its brilliant so everyone has and is entitled to the own views.
on 22 September 2015
The amazing thing about this story is that it has been through so many iterations, and is now returning to the source.

When I was a kid, Frankenstein was the big, lumbering Boris Karloff monster: blots through his neck, lightning, Egor, "it's alive!" and all that. But you watch things like Penny Dreadful and you realise that popular culture is restoring Shelley's original vision of the tortured creator and his eloquent, furious creation. Just shows that you can't keep a good story down.
on 11 February 2013
This book exceeded all my expectations. Not only is the story totally genius, it is absolutely beautifully written (if you appreciate the language of a time well since past!). There is no hero, no villain and certainly no winners in this book. It is an ill-fated tale, but surprisingly not a depressing one.

There are several characters in the book, the main two being Victor (Frankenstein) and the `Fiend' (he was never given a name). Victor, although essentially a likeable character, is single-minded and obsessive. He thinks he can play God and devotes himself entirely to a task which, once achieved, horrifies him beyond comprehension. His reaction is to 'do a runner' hoping the consequences of his experiment will simply just go away! 'Fiend' has a frightening and lonely entrance into the world; not knowing who he is or where he came from. His observations about the world, the beauty of nature and the harsh realisation of what it is to be human yet outcast from every other memeber of the human race are desperately moving. "When I run over the frightful catalogue of my sins, I cannot believe that I am the same creature whose thoughts were once filled with sublime and transcendent visions of the beauty and the majesty of goodness. But it is even so; the fallen angel becomes a malignant devil. Yet even that enemy of God and man had friends and associates in his desolation. I am alone"

All in all, brilliant, thought provoking and ever so slightly emotionally disturbing.
on 20 October 2013
I downloaded this classic because my daughter is studying it for her GCSE. It take's a while to get into the actual story mainly because the narration is via letters from the explorer Robert Walton to his sister back home. However, once Victor Frankenstein is discovered and begins unfolding his tale the text moves a pace. It is does stutter at times and you have to immerse yourself in the style of the early 19th century language. Shelley's characters are not always clearly drawn, we are frequently told that the monster is grotesque but there is little actual description of his physical image apart from the fact that he is over 8 feet tall! Her style of writing sometimes feels clumsy and contrived and it's difficult to sympathise with Victor Frankenstein whose selfish pursuit of creating life causes so much destruction and despair. It does sometimes feels like you are ploughing through pages just to get to the good bits but it's not a long book and well worth reading if you like the genre, want to tick another classic off your list or need to support your teenager!
on 26 June 2014
I have just recently finished this book and was pleasantly surprised. I half expected it to not follow the familiar Hollywood Frankenstein format, as film adaptations are seldom true to their original works (especially when it comes to older works), but was not expecting quite the amount of moral conflict I felt about both Victor Frankenstein and the Monster that he creates.

Some of the less favorable reviews mention that both main characters are incessantly whiny (and wordy), but I think if you treat the book as an exercise in understanding how we define good and bad, right and wrong, etc, it is a very strong work and worthy of anyone's time.
on 26 January 2015
I'm not much of a reader, but when I busy myself in reading a book I take it upon myself to 'catch up' on what I've missed, in this case, Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein' was the title I chose. It was a grand book, one which betrayed and extinguished all presumptions that I - the modern man - had conjured of 'Frankenstein'. A potent example of what I'm getting at is the common misconception that the Monster (Who is only titled 'wretch' or 'daemon') IS Frankenstein. This of course is false, putting an emphasis on the cultural observation that for a classic, it often goes unread.

It is a tale that will ignite in the reader a mystical curiosity of the sciences and surrounding philosophies, it will also inspire second-hand hope and even sympathy for it's characters. It might even also make you tear up. Your mind will find itself burrowing through ethical dilemmas to justify the sympathy you may place in the 'Monster' and it won't be long before you realize just how out of bounds this book has taken your imagination.

My only criticisms are not entirely the fault of the author. Simply put, the characters often feel indistinguishable. This was largely due to the fact that Mary Shelley lived in a time where the vocabulary was optimized to a fine standard, and any deliberation from it may have been deemed as ill writing by contemporary authors. Another slight issue was the protagonist, Viktor Frankenstein's repeated recounting of his feelings. During his depression, he would remind the reader that, even at his lowest, the surrounding nature of the land elevated him to a renewed spirit. He made this statement more times than I could count.

Despite the cultural antiquity that might prevent smooth reading, the concept and subject matter still shine through. This is a must-read, especially as it is public domain, and therefore free to read.
on 14 July 2014
I thought I knew the storyline of this book - not particularly because of the modern horror film versions, as I have never watched them - but just because the story is well known. I was completely wrong of course! The book is much more detailed and the creation of the monster is only a tiny part of the story. The real story is all about the emotional life of a man torn between his pursuit of science and desire for a normal family life. Brilliantly written and extremely readable.
on 23 October 2012
This really did take me a while to get in to. At first it just felt like a science paper and I had to force myself not to skip over great chunks.

I wonder if this is perhaps because everything I thought I knew about Frankenstein was wrong. In my head Frankenstein was a big scary zombie who spent his life chasing a man around a castle. Wrong.

I actually really liked the character of the monster (who is not called Frankenstein) - he's just a little misunderstood emo... I just wanted to give him a side fringe and a cuddle!

So it's a little slow in places, and it does seem a little silly at times, but in the bare bones it's actually just a novel about your place in life and desperately wanting to fit it.

I'd give it 3.5 if I could.
on 22 October 2014
I wasn't sure what I was getting into here. The only Frankenstein I know is vague memories of the black and white film featuring Boris karcaoff. Nothing like that there's no lightening and bolts in the neck or hunched Igor. It's very scientific the process of retaliating the corpse isn't explained apparently for our own good in case we replicate the experiment. I liked that the story was told by Dr Frankenstein but we get a very one sided story until the Monster is later introduced fully and his story is told changed the dynamics immensely. You start of being sympathetic to the Monster but change your mind quite quickly as the story unfolds. It did fall a little flat about 70% in I felt. The story rambles on and you know how it's going to end. Everyone else ignorance to Dr Frankenstein gets really annoying also. It has its good points, some great writing on monster side, Mary really got his character right. I was however disappointed with the ending didn't seem at all plausible.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 February 2014
This is one is a series of older classics available for the Kindle. Everything about the one click buying worked fine and the book appeared on my Kindle after pressing the Sync tab.
The book is a brilliant well written story that will be a classic forever. The Kindle has got me reading all of the older classics and it is worth the cost of a Kindle alone. I have also downloaded Dracula, 39 Steps and many other famous stories. I love my Kindle and this is a great story to read before bedtime !!