- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
The Forgotten Highlander: My Incredible Story of Survival During the War in the Far East Audio CD – Abridged, Audiobook, CD
|New from||Used from|
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
A book you must read (DAILY MAIL)
Riveting, powerful, moving (OBSERVER)
A remarkable memoir (FINANCIAL TIMES)
* An extraordinary and moving tale by an ex-POW and last surviving member of the Gordon Highlanders regiment that was captured by the Japanese in SingaporeSee all Product description
Top customer reviews
The book starts off with Alistair describing his life before the war and then his experiences and the events leading up to his capture. We've all heard stories about how the Japanese dealt with prisoners but to have this first hand account made it even more truly horrific, instead of the cliche of forgiveness Alistair Urquhart has no forgiveness and it's only by reading this book you'll understand why.
The book is rather upsetting, not just for the torture, but the solitude, the pain of working in blistering heat on nothing more than a maggot infested rice ball and meagre water rations, losing five stone in weight and having tropical ulcers that would eat down to the bone whilst still being lashed and beaten into working on a railway, then being boarded onto a transport ship with no red cross on it, they were saved for the Japanese munition ships!
This book proves that the Japanese government has a lot to answer for and many apologies to make but the biggest surprise was they way our own government dealt with returning pow's, it turns out we have a lot to answer to as well.
As a footnote, I've been off work for the last two days on the sick and read this entire book yesterday, I'm still ill but have come into work today because Alistair Urquhart made me realise that if he can go through all he did for over 750 days then I can definitly make it into work with a slight stomach bug!!
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > East & South East Asia
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Japan
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Asia > Japan
- Books > History > Asia > Singapore
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Prisoners of War