Customer reviews

on 30 June 2012
Reading this will give you a deeper and lasting understanding of the real worth of higher education. A great contribution to the debate. Perhaps most importantly, we should recommend this as a book to be read by students, prospective students, and their parents.
on 7 April 2014
As an academic in a British university, I have been dismayed by the direction our universities have taken. The concept of university as business, with high tuition fees, with research focussed on bringing in money rather than advancing human knowledge and understanding, is undermining our institutions of higher education. Then I read this book - by the time I had finished it, I had a fire lit under me and an incredible desire to do something. A must read for anyone interested in the future of higher education in this country.
on 20 December 2015
bit dull.
on 24 October 2014
Taking the opportunity to use the Look Inside facility, I read:
"The political backdrop to this is the financial crisis that hit the advanced economies in 2008 and that produced recession among those economies. The problem was caused primarily by the private sector in our economies and most specifically by the banking sector."

With drivel like this, I hope the rest of the book is better. At least I saw no signs that Climate Change has been to blame for the state of Further Education in Britain, so there is hope.
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse