Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now

on 6 April 2011
Food for the Heart is really food for the heart. For the last two years I have been going through the difficult and painful journey of my husband's terminal lung cancer illness. To read this book you need to put it into practice and for that you need challenging circumstances in your life. If you can manage that, which is not easy, it will provide you with the healing balm for your heart.
on 24 November 2013
I have been studying The Dharma and meditating for several years and have found this to be one of the most perfect guidebooks I have read. For those who don't know; Ajahn Chah is a famous monk in the Thai Forest Tradition of Therevada Buddhism. He was ordained as a Buddhist at the age of 20 and dedicated his entire life to following the teachings of the Buddha. He taught many well-known monks (such as Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Sumedho) who have since gone on to set up successful Buddhist Centres across the world.

I purchased this book based on a recommendation from a fellow meditator whom I met on a retreat and have used it consistently alongside my practice for the last few months, digesting the teachings slowly and putting them in to practice. I must say that the teachings have really helped me to progress a lot both in learning how to work with the mind and with my understanding of the most important aspects of Dharma. The style of teaching here is remarkably simple yet extremely profound. Ajahn Chah expounds on all the common issues that serious meditators face when on the cushion such as understanding sensations, letting go, observing the mind, attaining mental balance, right attitudes to practice etc. Some familiarity with Buddhist teachings may be beneficial to make full use of the book, however explanations are given throughout of the most important aspects such as Precepts, Noble Truths, The Characteristics, Aggregates etc, all explained thoroughly. In particular I found the descriptions on handling mental defilements to be particularly brilliant as they cleared up a lot of confusion that was obstructing my progression.

If you are looking for a beginners manual I would probably look elsewhere first (Breath by Breath by Larry Rosenburg or Mindfulness Bliss & Beyond by Ajahn Brahm are excellent). But if you already have a good grounding in Buddhist teachings and maybe a few years practical experience under your belt then I couldn't recommend this book highly enough.
on 18 July 2012
Throughout the years I have read many books about Oriental thought and philosophy. Actually there are many "so called" enlightened people writing spiritual books about this matter. Some are good and some are just published with the intention of economic profit. Ajahn Chah's book "Food for the heart" is a "must read" for anyone interested in buddhism or the spiritual path. The teachings are spot on, clear and written in a style that he seems to be talking directly at you. Is the kind of book to read over and over again because I,m sure, every time you do, you will find new and enlightened thoughts to help you in your way.
The words of a true master available. I really recommend it!!
Fernando M.Osorio
on 3 March 2015
This is a very big book full of wonderful 'talks'. Don't get it as your first book about Buddhism but if you have a bit of an idea already this is a great book to add to your library.
on 26 August 2014
I feel that I am going to gain so much from the reading of this book. I do not believe I will be disappointed with it.
on 5 September 2014
Amazing book, very deep and insightful.
on 14 October 2014
Intriguing book
on 29 December 2015
A very profound book - a fine guide for the heart
on 10 November 2016
Best book I have read on Buddhism practise
on 3 February 2015
Excellent book from a great teacher.