- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
The Food and Feasts of Jesus: The Original Mediterranean Diet, with Menus and Recipes (Religion in the Modern World) Paperback – 16 Dec 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
One does not need to be a cook to relish this book. It is as intriguing as it is informative. I hope you will savor it. Goodness only knows, I certainly have.--Phyllis Tickle, author of The Great Emergence
W(hat)W(ould)J(esus)E(at)? That's the question both posed and answered in this engaging book. Douglas E. Neel and Joel A. Pugh have combined serviceable knowledge of the Bible, a keen grasp of ancient Mediterranean culture and the culinary arts to fine effect. No wonder 'the Son of Man came eating and drinking.' No wonder the psalmist advised 'O taste and see.'--Rev. Harry T. Cook, Episcopal priest, author of Long Live Salvation by Works
Happy are those who taste the feast of the kingdom of God Douglas Neel and Joel Pugh have prepared for them in The Food and Feasts of Jesus! This book offers a satisfying combination of history, stories, and recipes in a practical way to enhance modern Christian table fellowship. I particularly appreciated the friendly and respectful way the authors preserved the Jewish flavor of Jesus' meals.--Jonathan Brumberg-Kraus, Wheaton College
An excellent book for ordinary people who wish to experience and study the first century meals of Jesus. The recipes are classic for the ancient Mediterranean and the meals of the daily life in ancient Palestine. A feast for Christians and non Christians alike!--Kathleen E. Corley, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
This book is a feast of information and thoughtful perspectives on the foods, meals, customs, and teachings about food at the time of Jesus. From religious festivals to weddings to Shabbat to everyday meals, the authors cover it all. They bring to life the eating experiences of rich and poor, men and women, in good times and bad, on feast days and on workdays. Many familiar biblical passages will be illuminated by this book, but the unexpected delight is the full description of foods available in Jesus' day, and recipes for complete meals so that people today can experience the foods and meals of the Bible.--Lawrence Wills, Episcopal Divinity School
About the Author
Douglas E. Neel is an Episcopal priest. He owned a catering company specializing in first century food, teaches classes on ancient food and feasts, and makes his own cheese and wine. He lives in Pagosa Springs, CO. Read the author's culinary blog here. Joel A. Pugh is CPA and President of a research and development company. He is a serious amateur cook, baker, and brewer and has studied ancient bread and winemaking. He lives in Dallas, TX.
Top customer reviews
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Fr. Chuck Treadwell, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Waco TX.
The Food and Feasts of Jesus: Inside the World of First Century Fare, with Menus and Recipes (Religion in the Modern World)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Food & Drink > Diets & Healthy Eating > Low Fat
- Books > Food & Drink > Reference & Gastronomy > Gastronomy
- Books > Food & Drink > Reference & Gastronomy > History of Food
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Reference
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Reference
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > Kosher Foods
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > History