- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
Foley: The Spy Who Saved 10,000 Jews Hardcover – 21 Jan 1999
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
The terrible tale of the Holocaust is mitigated in some tiny part by a few stories of grace and heroism; of these moments of reprieve, the story of Oscar Schindler is perhaps the best known. The inaction of foreign bureaucracies scared of offending Germany and precipitating conflict is well-known; less famous are the details of how many German Jews were procured exit visas and did survive.
Frank Foley was the British passport officer in Berlin, and would have none of the nonsense of his superiors; he endlessly bent the rules and found pretexts for getting people out. This was all the more remarkable because he was also running a major intelligence operation, acquiring details of most of Germany's military research and development that were eventually crucial to Allied victory. The double bluff whereby he concealed his spying operations through known and active hostility to the regime was both ingenious and let him do what he was morally drawn to. Foley also had a crucial role in frustrating various schemes of the Stalinist Comintern, acquiring double agents who, for example, prevented a pro-Russian coup in Brazil. Foley-The Spy Who Saved 10,000 Jews is a fascinating story, efficiently rather than memorably told.--Roz Kavaney
The extraordinary and little-known story of 'the British Schindler'.See all Product description
Top Customer Reviews
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Interesting book but also a bit dense and took some concentration to read it.Published 20 months ago by A. Coop
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Germany
- Books > Biography > Holocaust
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > Biography > Political > Countries & Regions
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > Espionage
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Europe > Germany
- Books > History > Military History > Military Intelligence & Espionage
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Origins
- Books > History > Social & Cultural > Jewish > Holocaust