Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 27 February 2009
I don't normally buy things without checking them out first by looking for reviews, but I did with this. What a mistake! As someone else points out, some of the games are ridiculous (eg Word Ladder, which is impossible to get good at because it simply makes up new words). The scoring is flawed and it's just really poorly thought out.
I orginally bought it to use with my class at school, but there's no way I can justify them spending time using such a questionable product. Mastersoft's Brain School is much better.
on 30 January 2009
Where do you start? This seems to have been built from a few good ideas. Most of the games are good, but the product is hampered by glitches. Puzzles that take no brainpower whatsoever to solve take an embarressingly long time to complete because of the interface. The word puzzles are embarrassing, using obscure words like "ejecta" or have no vowels. This doesn't make it a mental exercise, it makes it a guessing game.

The statistics it gives you are totally flawed. It gives you your results from each brain test in a series of bar graphs, with no avarage. This wouldn't be a problem if the games were consistant, but they vary in difficulty to the extent that your results are meaningless.
Your progress is worked out by the time you take to complete the puzzle and a bonus for how hard the puzzle is. As far as I can see, the only improvement I've seen is because of these difficulty bonuses. If you start again, you watch your score drop back to the starting point.

In short, this has some good ideas, but the developement of the software is sorely lacking. If you're thinking of getting a brain trainer and don't want to spend the earth, try "Test and Improve Your Memory" It is a much better product.
on 27 October 2015
Although I have a Brain Trainer device on my Mobile Phone, I decided to add one to my PC as well and opted for this Mindscape title.

We are given a selection of 15 challenging exercise games split into several sub-categories - Memory, Spatial, Logic, Numerical and Verbal - and they are somewhat of a mixed bag. Certain ones like Number Balance and Route Finder are incredibly easy (at least on the early skill levels, of which there are 5), while at the other end of the spectrum, Word Ladder is extremely tough and unforgiving.

One annoying feature is the (limited) sound. Whenever we make an error there is a horrible tone, which I can only describe as a quack from a demented Duck, and I soon played the game with the volume muted!

At least the puzzles are randomly generated, allowing for unlimited playability within the confines of each challenge. Two of my favourites in the collection include Code Breaker (a version of the old Mastermind board game) and Word Wise (where we spell words from a hexed table of letters) although there are numerous similar examples of these titles available on the PC which may prove more popular.

No doubt many players will simply ignore the easy skill levels and play the harder ones for a greater challenge. Each game gives us a timed score and there is always fun to be had trying to beat previous efforts, although some of the featured games prove just too frustrating!

All in all though the Midscape Bigger Brain Trainer is not the best product of this type on the market but should adequately help pass the time.
on 6 October 2011
Some new activities but nothing like the original one. Just good, nothing outstanding. Some of the activities are ridiculously easy, not balanced program.