on 10 April 2012
Fluffy is a poignant, witty, heart-rending account of one man's journey through depression. Told in a light-hearted way, through a bite-sized A-Z format, Michael's journey through this potentially life-threatening illness doesn't wallow in self-pity but simply tells it as it is. The narrative delves into the depths the illness can take you too (the author reveals moments that had him contemplating whether to take his own life) and reveals the plethora of treatments available to help combat the illness, from drugs to counselling.

A touching narrative that shows one man's honest battle and how it affected him - and his family. It had me welling-up and laughing at different points and I found it unputdownable. A very useful read for both those who are suffering from depression - or who are close to someone affected with the illness.
on 21 March 2012
Having suffered from depression, it sounds strange to say you smile reading this but you do! This was a walk down memory lane for me as it took me back to the terrors... the horror... and the fear you feel as a sufferer but in such a way that you begin to see your condition as the monster it is or was - a dark frightening entity that leaps on you without warning and tries to snatch your sparkle. Thankfully the author (like me) battled through and frankly be you depressed or not, it's an insightful and (surprisingly) funny read. I laughed out loud four times, read it in one sitting and actually felt uplifted as I closed the cover. Take a ride on this rollercoaster and leave the tunnel smiling.
on 3 October 2013
The real reason I choose to read this book is because, from the front cover and title, I thought it may be a young teen account or a book for children (about a depressed rabbit called Fluffy) which would guide youngsters through some of the key features of depression. I was pretty wrong about that! This book doesn't really tell the `journey' of a man through depression, so much as it gives you a glimpse into his world. It isn't written chronologically, so if you want a story and a plot, you won't find it here. Instead this book is written with alphabetically themed chapters that can be read singularly rather than in order as a whole.

While you won't get an emotional and moving account of a man and his family's struggles (I found it difficult to really connect with the voice of the author), you will get a frank account. I found it interesting that the title seems inspired from a small event that I think all people who have experienced depression have felt: a moment when the people that you love or feel aligned to find something heart-warming, amusing or happiness inducing while you feel nothing. Absolutely nothing. I think the title and cover are generally misleading, but it was interesting to see where the `fluffy' came in to it.

I feel that the grammar and writing style could be improved, but I understood what the author was trying to say. The ending was a nice, brief and uplifting send off. It's a quick read and might make you feel not so alone if you have depression. I do believe there are probably more relatable, emotional, scientific and/or informative books out there to read on the topic of depression. But hey, this is real life. Sometimes it doesn't have a pow factor. It's a nice read, but as someone with an interest in psychology I certainly would have liked more background on his parents and how his depression came about. I don't think I would read this book again, but it certainly made me more interested in finding good books about depression.
on 13 June 2012
Just bought this book alongside Shoot the Dam Dog and The Noonday demon. In comparison to the other two books I found this to be shallow and uninformative. Is literally an A-Z of depression with a couple of pages for each letter, however is not useful as an information source and does not read as a novel. Am very confused by the glowing reviews written by the other readers, perhaps they are all friends and relations!
on 13 January 2013
Having suffered with depression myself, I found this very humorous and light hearted, but also very real and descriptive all in one.
My girlfriend read this too, as she wanted to get some idea of how someone else's journey was, in the hope that she could understand better, and help me in the bad times.

Very well written, and a must read for anyone who has no idea what it's like to experience depression.
on 24 March 2012
reading this was quick and easy and very insightful, it is well written and has helped me identify many of the symptoms I have had and still have because I did not seek help and did not have the wonderful support the writer had from his family, I guess mine did not realise as I tend to keep things to myself. This book spells it out with humour and hope and is a must read for anyone experiencing a break down or depression and also their families the insights are so helpful.
Using natural remedies like 5HTP (see below)may be helpful if you do not want to take anti-depressants and as the reader says, getting out into nature and also meditation to access a higher aspect of the self.
Well done Michael this book is brilliant.
Solgar 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) 90 Vegicaps
on 13 March 2012
Even in 2012, depression can be seen as a taboo topic, which is why books like this are so valuable.

The author describes his battle with the 'Black Dog' in an unusual way; not via a conventional narrative but through an A-Z format. At first I thought this wouldn't work, but it actually suits his writing style perfectly, and allows him to explore many different issues in and around depression.

Although unsurprisingly there are bleak aspects to the book, there are also welcoming elements of humour and a lightness of touch which avoids any self-pity. The unflinching nature of the writing is extremely admirable and I ended up reading the whole book in one sitting. Recommended.
on 20 October 2012
Fluffy is a very interesting, worthwhile read i found really quite honest and witty. I read it from beginning to end in one sitting as i couldn't really put it down.

RECOMMENDED.
on 18 March 2012
A fantastic read about a man's journey through depression in A-Z format.
It's an emotional, touching, shocking and funny read making it so hard to put down.
Depression is a silent killer and it not only affects you, it affects everyone around you!
This book gives you an awareness of how serious this illness really is, and shows how one can begin a voyage to overcome what may seem a long journey to full recovery.
on 10 April 2012
Having read Fluffy, I feel better equipped to support those around me who may be be afflicted with the illness.

The book is a completely candid A-Z directory of how depression affected one man and his family. It's pragmatic, honest and is written with a sense of humour. It's broadly uplifting and I'd reccomend it as a must-read for anyone who wants or needs to know more about this illness.