on 10 March 2011
I was offered this book by a friend who bought it through Amazon. I read the book from beginning to end - that's to show you how well written and interesting it is! It has great photos and great tips. So far I've only tried two recipes but with excellent results! The author gives us only one brownie recipe: it makes quite a tray of delicious brownies,neither gooey, nor cakey, they came out perfect and sooooo tasty! The other recipe I tried was the magic crispy frosting for cupcakes.(I haven't tried the cupcakes yet, as I wanted vanilla caupcakes for my kid's party, I used the Humming Bird Bakery's recipe. Also easy, minimum effort , good results) I don't usually make buttercream on the account of the incredible amount of butter it takes. However, I must admit that this buttercream was so delicious, it didn't feel at all like you were eating cold butter with sugar! Just for these two recipes I'm giving the book five stars and can't wait to try the beautiful layer cakes it features. Just to finish, I LOVE the author's writing style, witty introductions for each recipe and clear instructions throughout!

PS.Although it's an American baking book, it has all measurements both in cups and in the metric system, which is a plus for Europeans. Oh, don't skip the introductory chapters (pages 6 to 30), because they are really useful.
on 26 April 2012
After a long internet search looking for the perfect banana bread recipe, I stumbled across the Flour's famous recipe which has proven to be the absolute best banana bread I have ever made but also that I have ever eaten. Of course, that is not because of any exceptional skill on my part but rather the fantastic recipe. Based on this success, I decided to search the origins of the recipe and came across this book.

There are some amazing cakes and bread recipes here. A beautiful bundt cake that perfectly marries cranberries, pecans, pumpkin and maple syrup. Even my hardcore, anti-pumpkin children devour it happily. Another recipe that has become a firm favourite is the chocolate cupcake recipe. I'm sure many bakers have tried many different recipes for the quintessential chocolate cupcake. Well, like Flour's banana bread, their cupcakes are now the family favourite and will be baked at least every birthday and holiday. The perfect balance of moistness and flavour and again, very easy.

The recipes in this book are easy enough for anyone to bake - even novices. I have rarely come across a recipe book that has, in a short space of time, had such a positive impact producing so many firm favourites. The apple spice cake and the version of tiramisu are also both out of this world producing unique versions of classics that are easy to make and taste sublime.

Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys baking but also to those who want to impress and spoil their friends and family with some very special treats.
on 18 June 2013
Bought this book after watching James Martin in United Cakes of America, he went to Joanne Changs bakery in Boston, liked the look of her cakes and recipes. Some lovely american classics in the book, recipes are in Cups and grams.plenty of pictures throughout the book. Overall, I am very pleased with this book.
on 25 May 2013
This book is absolutely great.All of her recipes are more of a home style recipe; i mean like cakes, cookies, cinnamon buns, doughnuts... Each recipe is interesting, it inspires you to bake more, be better. The way she explains everything in steps and numbers is perfect. She also includes measurements in cups but in grams as well. This book teaches you how to be a perfect home baker, how to create a bakery in your own house. I have tried several of her recipes and all came out perfectly and i dont really think is because i am a great baker but because of her precise, safeproof recipes you cant go wrong and the result is absolutely stunning! Each recipe has a story. If you want a book to teach you how to bake bakery style this is for you. Spectacular.
on 10 June 2011
Love baking! This is a very well written book for those who like to try and bake as the professionals. Even if you've never bake before, don't be afraid to follow Joanne Chang's instructions. Read through the entire book, followed her golden rules and voila! you too, can bake.
on 17 November 2012
I am a very keen baker who dreams of opening her own bakery. I collect cookbooks and sometime just sit down and read cookbooks. I wanted this book for ages and finally gave in and bought it. I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived, I love this cookbook, at the start of every recipe Joanne tells you how the recipe became, stories about holidays she's taken and inspiration she'd found, it makes it feel like she's next to you! All I can say is I wish I lived in the USA sometimes so that I could visit one of the Flour bakeries!

Everything I've made from this book has turned out perfectly and her chocolate chunk cookies are to die for, I've searched high and low for the perfect cookie recipe and I can safely say I've found it in Flour. I've now made the recipe loads of times with lots of different additions and types of chocolate, they always turn out perfectly. I've also made the croissants which, whilst time consuming (they take about 2 days to make) are well worth it, they taste much better than shop bought ones and have a gorgeously flaky texture and buttery taste.

I hope Joanne Chang writes another cookbook because I'll definitely be buying it! I would highly recommend this book, the pages are lovely and glossy and whilst there isn't a photo for every recipes, the photo's are beautiful.
on 8 July 2012
This book is very well researched and the author is very descriptive about her techniques and frequently references small tips that she has to make the recipe spot on. As detailed in other reviews, her banana bread is beautiful and has a great texture. She also includes a good range of recipes from cookies, cakes to pies. I'm a seasoned baker and have a number of excellent recipe books for baking and this a a great addition!
on 2 November 2012
A lively and informative book with recipes to match. Good illustrations and well layed out, in sections for breakfast recipes, biscuits, cakes, pies and tarts, puddings and breads.It includes classics like creme brulee and clafoutis, croissants and doughnuts with new recipes like raspberry crumb bar and roasted pear and cranberry crostata. I would strongly recommend.
on 11 December 2013
Love this book it is very professionally put together... it has very tempting recipes on every page .... makes good reading especially on a cold winters night ... great gift idea for the serious baker:0)
on 5 September 2013
This is a serious book but I have to study it. I have not used any of the recipes yet and that is why I am giving 4 stars. I simply don't know but I am impressed. Obviously the author knows her baking.