Customer reviews

Flatcap's Guide to UK Holidays
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 16 June 2013
Wry, dry, and wonderfully grumpy, Flatcap is a hero for every depressed and downtrodden male who doesn't just feel like a doormat - but one that the cat sicked up on! In this chuckle-packed look at the trauma and disappointment that is the average rain-splattered, midge blighted, gloom-laden UK holiday, the man who makes Victor Meldrew look like Pollyanna on happy pills brings his grouchy acerbic wit to bear on the frustrations and regrets that make camping, boating, fleapit B&Bs and soul-sucking coach tours with 'Er Indoors ordeals to be avoided at all costs. Nothing escapes his cantankerously comic observations, no detail of vacation irritation gets away unscathed, making this Les Dawson-style rib-tickling rant a treat.
on 25 May 2013
I've avoided "holidaying" for years so I downloaded this to find out how FlatCap's methods match up to mine! Very entertaining. I think Flatcap and one of my own characters must share a lot of genes. The Forthright Saga (The Forthright Sagas)

I think almost every holiday option for the Flat-Capped has been covered here apart from aerial gardening in the Andes. I do feel some sympathy for Her Indoors as she clearly has ambitions and has to make do with whatever limitations FlatCap can wangle on finance, distance, etc. You have to hand it to her - despite his annual efforts to dissuade her from a Declaration of Holiday, she battles on.

And, underneath it all, the author not only writes with style but he genuinely does know his onions. And his narrowboats, caravans and seaside accommodation.
on 13 March 2013
The Grumpy Old Men and Victor Meldrew have nothing on Flatcap he is soooo funny This book is worth a read because of Flatcap's acidic humour and sarcastic answers that he gives in his tales come on give us more please Mr Flatcap. And Mrs Flatcap I deeply symperthise with you living with this bundle of fun must be hard!!
on 21 March 2013
This book is a great read and a keenly observed snapshot of the great institution that is the British Bloke - and a fine gentleman he is too!

Time to start planning your next holiday?

Then this book is your essential survival!

Highly recommended and a great way to pass the time dreaming of how to get out of your next vacation!
on 26 March 2013
I'm not sure if all wives would appreciate it, mind, it depends on their sense of humour. But, it's a good Robinson Romp. Good for a short journey, or cheer yourself up while waiting for the dentist.
on 7 April 2014
Just too true. especially the description of the period from booking to going. cried laughing. can't wait to read his next book
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2015
Great insight into the grumpire world. I never stopped laughing from the first page to the last. Absolutely great read
on 23 November 2014
I loved it because it reminded me of me and many other married men I should imagine, a laugh a minute.
on 23 April 2015
This is very funny indeed. I really loved it. It reminded me of similar holiday disasters of my own!
on 24 November 2014