on 1 November 2009
The diet itself is great - I've lost 5lbs already and I've only been doing it for a week! The meals are satisfying - you certainly don't go hungry, and it's great to find a diet where you can have chocolate without feeling guilty! The book is easy to follow and the idea behind specifically targeting visceral fat (deep belly fat which is the hardest fat to shift) is well-thought out. My only complaint would be that it would have been better if the authors had produced a specific English version as all the measures are US (1 cup, 1/2 cup etc) so I had to buy some new measuring cups. Similarly some ingredients are listed American style(zucchini, eggplant, grape tomatoes) and some brands/items it specifically mentions are unavailable in Britain, so again the book could do with translating for the English audience. That said it's a great diet (and I've tried them all!) and my husband is following it too and actually enjoying the meals without complaining that he's still hungry!
on 13 June 2017
I was really disappointed with this book. I saw the other reviews referred to it as "too American" and I thought that referred to the terminology and the measurements only, which I could deal with. However, I found that a lot of the recipes included a lot of branded processed foods that are not only not available in the UK, but no explanation why these processed foods are better than just using basic fresh ingredients. I am not going to start eating cheese strings or Paul Newman salad dressing, I can find better low fat cheese and I love olive oil and vinegar dressing (which is a MUFA).

The 4-day plan looks like severe food restriction and I'm sure would give anyone a flat tummy. I once had to live on only grapes for 3 days and got a concave tummy, I would rather do that than eat cheese strings and packet turkey.

I will take from it the advice to eat some MUFA at every meal (which I will do by increasing my intake of olive oil, avocado and nuts), so there is some value in that, hence the 2 stars. But I'm disappointed as I think a professional nutrionist could have done a lot better.
on 30 August 2013
I was disappointed as the paperback version says "fully adapted for the UK reader" but the Kindle version is completely American, american brand foods, measurements and ingredients throughout. Frustrated as I now need to find a UK version of the Jumpstart which I want to do.
on 7 February 2011
Love this book as it gives you the background to the diet and a 14 day plan. My husband and I both lost 4lb in the first 4 days, even though we skipped the jump start, but did have sassy water. We have enjoyed many of the savoury recipies. I have made the front cover cup cake recipe (once I found out what canola oil was), but used the mix to make two 7" cakes rather than cupcakes. It is decidedly delicious and my grandchildren love it lots. It's a good idea for the 4th food portion of the day at around 8 or 9 ish. The chocolate zuccini snack cake is also delicious. (I used extravagant Lindt dark chocolate as a treat because I couldn't find dark choc chips, but now that I have, I'll try them next time). Don't forget the recipe makes 12 portions and you are only allowed one. It is also ample for an evening snack. It just doesn't feel like dieting. In fact we don't diet as such, just try to stay healthy and this book is a great tool. For any of you who may not know some of the terminology used, I've done a wee list, with apologies if, to some, I'm stating the obvious.
Cilantro - coriander
Canola oil - rapeseed oil
snow peas - mange toute
mesclun - small young salad leaf mix
scallions - spring onions
rigatoni - tube shaped pasta
jicana - sweetish, turnip like crunchy vegetable often used instead of water chestnuts in stir fries. Have never seen it in the UK.
zuccini - courgette
eggplant - aubergine
neuf chatel cheese - specialist french low fat cream cheese.
Flank steak - tougher cut of steak from abdominal muscles of cow - often marinated or tenderised before cooking
pastry flour - I use plain
tempeh - fermented soy beans mixed with grains - often used in Indonesian cooking instead of salt.

What pleases me is not just the idea that belly fat will be lost, but that MUFAs are also a great cholesterol buster.
on 30 August 2017
Although I thought the background information was interesting and put forward some good ideas about tackling the problem of an ever increasing waistline, I felt the diet was really aimed at US consumers. Hints, tips and success stories are there to keep you going, but the authors rely on branded products to get you through, which I feel would would be difficult to get hold of in the UK (and I don't really know what some of them are - cream of wheat anybody? ). After reading through the recipes, I decided there were alternative books working on similar lines that would be more accessible.and therefore more likely to keep things simple enough for me to stay focused.
on 18 March 2012
Tipping the scales at 8.5 stone, I am not exactly what you'd call portly, however, like many people in this day and age, I suffer from acute Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS) and have embarrassing problems with flatulence, bloating and water retention. My mum was about to start this diet and urged me to do it with her and since I had nothing to lose, we embarked on the "4-day jump start" diet and could both feel the difference within the first half of the first day. By the end of Day 1 we'd lost weight, but more importantly, our stomachs weren't bloated. Result!
The 4 day jump start diet has you strictly adhering to portion control and has you following recipes that are somewhat bland...But the results are well worth it. Things are spruiced up by the two litres of sassy water you have to drink throughout the day (water with ginger, lemon, cucumber and mint) and a fruit smoothie snack. After 4 days I lost half a stone, as did my mum... We were amazed at the results and so we decided to stick to the regimen outlined in the rest of the book, which isn't as strict as the first 4 days. There are simple but delicious recipes for you follow to ensure that you no longer have to suffer the discomfort of bloating and water retention.
I wasn't in this to lose weight, but was pleasantly surprised when I shed off a few pounds (slowly but effortlessly). My mum, who was doing this diet for the weight loss as well as to eradicate bloating was also happy with her weight loss -she lost one stone in a month! There is also an exercise plan for you to follow, but if you already work out, the authors' tell you to stick to what already works for you. It is also full of inspiring real-life success stories to keep you motivated. My mum was inspired to buy the book based on the reviews that she read on amazon.com, which are a lot more favourable than the ones on amazon.co.uk... I highly recommend this diet to anyone fed up of living with daily bloating and water retention -if you're looking for extreme weight loss, then this might not be for you...
on 20 June 2011
I have been on this diet for two weeks and my stomach has never been flatter!
Very interesting book with lots of recipes. Give it a try!
on 6 February 2010
After trying many ways to lose weight this for me, was the best! (I do realise that it won't suit everyone.) The most detailed information in this book gave me all the information I needed. OK it's American! so I worked round it. Health food shops & supermarkets have most products these days, but do read all labels!! It takes time to study and absorb the ideas. Yes it's based on counting calories and that takes some time to get to grips with but it depends how determined you are to lose weight! and change to a different way of eating for good! I have been doing this now for 24 days, have lost 9lbs and not been hungry. I find the Sassy water is to my taste and if our English weather is a bit cold then I warm it up in the microwave! For me the instructions and the recipies are well set out and I have tried some of the recipes, but now I am also making up my own 400 calorie meals as well. Flat Belly Diet! Cookbook
Patricia
Devon UK.
on 12 December 2009
I agree with mousewife, it would be great if UK version was published, US version is annoying due to foods not available in the uk and measures are different from uk.
on 23 May 2011
Too American for me!! The diet principal is great so looking for a version to cover the british food market.Flat Belly Diet! Cookbook