Flash XML Applications: Use AS2 and AS3 to Create Photo Galleries, Menus, and Databases Paperback – 20 Nov 2007
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
.keeping up with the latest best practices in Flash and database design is a difficult process. Joachim Schnier brings these practices together in a concise, and easy to follow manner in Flash XMLApplications. A must-have in the Web 2.0 era. - Erik V. Pohovich, Master Web Developer, New Web Technologies
Using XML to interact with a database is a must-have skill for anyone that wants to deliver dynamic content . this book is a great overview of the right technologies for building serious Flash applications benefiting from the power of ActionScript 2.0 and 3.0. - Nuno Mira, Flash Developer
About the Author
Joachim Schnier is a biologist and cancer researcher at UC Davis, and freelance Flash developer specializing in Actionscript development of web sites and XML databases. Joachim learned html in order to create a cancer web site, then delved into Flash so he might add a flash tutorial to that same site. He regularly contributes to Flashkit.com and hosts his own Flash tutorial site http://www.Flashscript.biz/.
Top customer reviews
I found the pace of this book to be a little too frantic for my skill level, too many processes are introduced in each section in quick succession, with constant references to 'we will return to this or that later', where a more measured and structured introduction to each section would have been more helpful.
Part of the difficulty I believe stems from the incorporation of AS3 and the implications this has for developing in AS2 (my current environment), which turns this book into a how to develop in xml and learn AS3 at the same time, it may be correct but the explanation of why it works better and why you should code a certain way just comes across as slightly confusing, AS3 developers may fare better having been through that learning process already.
If your comfortable using this book to the full you possibly don't need it.
If you are interested in learning how to use xml with flash I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Right off the bat it is confusing. I am an advanced Flash user and although i understand most of what is documented the instruction itself is terrible. I am confident that the author has absolutely no teaching background. He almost NEVER indicates when to save a file or what to name it for that matter. Which is odd considering the entire book relies on the external, custom classes that you create when trying to follow along. You need to know WHAT to name them and WHEN to name them! Like i said, i am an advanced user and the lessons have me completely lost. You never quite know where to stop or begin with the next script. I am half way through the book and it just gets more frustrating to try and follow along. Because i am an advanced user, i am able to continue for the most part. The bottom line is that it is a difficult learning experience.
Aside from the poor instructions i was able to pull some very valuable information from it, but it has been an excruciating experience. Not a bad resource to have available, but be prepared to take some Advil. It will rack your brain trying to follow along!
It covers actionscript 2 & 3 as well as some related Flash components. The accompanying CD offers well constructed lessons that are easy to understand and work through.
Thanks for a fantastic flash resource!
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Graphic Design
- Books > Computing & Internet > Databases
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Lifestyle > Online Shopping > Amazon
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics > 3D Studio Max
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics > Maya
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Animation & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development > Web Design > Web Graphics & Animation
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > Film Genres
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > Production & Technology > Animation