on 7 July 2013
When it comes to notebooks, paper quality is something that I look out for, especially as I write with fountain pens. Other brands like Moleskine use thinner paper which tends to be cause the ink to bleed through the paper. The paper used in the Flanders journal is superior, and has the right thickness to avoid any bleeding. At the same time, it is not too thick, and manages to fit 192 pages to a slim profile without being bulky.
on 28 September 2013
The paper really is beautiful - off white with faint grey lines, quite generously spaced. I use a fairly thick italic fountain pen (which writes quite wet) and I experience no bleed and only very minor ghosting. It is bound very well, and lies flat adequately.
The cover unfortunately is below par. Weird glossy sheen to it which shows some tool marks, and the gilt ending is really quite rubbish. It has a very cheap glittery look to it, quite akin to the make up they put on small children's Barbie dolls.
Possibly the cover will batter to a deeper, more matte finish, and maybe the tool marks will fade. I hope they do. The gilt edging will probably never look all that good, but passes a minor glance.
All in all, the paper is what saves this review. You're probably better off with a Moleskine, if you can bear the cramped ruling (I can't), or a Rhodia (if you can sacrifice some aesthetic spledour), or a Quo Vadis (if you can splash the cash). I don't know whether I would buy another one of these. The paper is very good, and the price is decent, but they aren't really a pleasure to use, while a really good notebook is. That said, it is a solid product, and you cant go far wrong with a notebook which has paper as good as this.
on 12 February 2014
Nice little note book with real leather cover, lined pages, and a placemark ribbon. My only disappointment was that I wanted to use a fountain pen, but the paper wasn't quite thick enough and some ink was visible on the reverse side. It was fine with biro.
on 12 July 2016
I love love love these journals.
They feel great and look expensive. The paper quality is fantastic and I have even used water colour in them and been able to use the back of the same page for writing. (it went a little wavy but that was it!)

I have used these for a few years but have recently started bullet journaling and was tempted to other types of journals which have dotty paper. I am so disappointed! They just don't feel as good as this one does and the paper is poor quality.

Peter Pauper Press - please make this with dotty paper! You will make a fortune!

In Summary -
Good quality paper
Lovely leather cover
Ink doesn't bleed though and ghosting is minimal (even with wet ink!)
on 28 December 2013
Just what I wanted, asked for and paid for; Brilliant quality notebook/Journal with really quick postage as an added bonus
on 7 November 2011
I bought this item more as a diary than a journal. Unfortunately there are no days, dates or months on the pages, just lined. Its purely a journal. I feel its a bit misleading as it says Diary in the header. Other than that, for under £15 its a very good journal. The leather, and also the paper, is of very good quality.
Would I buy this item again? I probably would.
on 21 March 2014
Flanders Black Leather Journal is High Quality American Diary, Highly Recommended, This is good journal if you work in a Office
on 5 April 2014
I Bought this for part of a Christmas present. It's a notebook, and does the job it is supposed to.
on 7 August 2015
I was looking forward to receiving this, but when it arrived I noticed the leather cover was very poorly constructed. The folds of leather that were used to attach it to the paper inside were showing through on all edges as a raised 'bump', giving it the appearance it had been bought in Poundland. For such a high price, I expected much better quality.
review image
on 19 April 2015
Decent quality but it doesn't feel like real leather if there is any real leather its about a micron thin! Good quality thick off white lined paper - i only use a self propelling pencil in mine for Bible study notes (on both sides of each page) so I cant comment on ink print thru. Serves my purpose fine but doesn't feel like a quality leather bound product I was expecting.