on 1 April 2008
We bought one of these classic toys for our 7 year old. It was great for a couple of weeks until the vertical movement jammed. We sent off for a new one from the suppliers but it never arrived. Took three follow up phone calls and an extremely irate fax to get any response from the suppliers who finally supplied a new one nine months after the first one broke!

The quality of new models is not as good as the ones I remember when I was a kid. The plastic is not as strong and is more brittle. It can be cracked if dropped. The mechanism is not as good either. The knobs are more difficult to hold because they're smaller (not just because I'm older!) and are not as smooth in use.

As a toy it's still good fun but I felt let down by the poor construction quality and the lack of communication and response from the supplier. Nor did we get any recompense for the postage costs of returning the broken one.

I notice that these are now made in China and you can tell that they are built down to a price instead of up to a specification.
33 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 May 2012
I cant give this any more than 3 stars as it is so small and nowhere near the good quality it was when I had one in the 1980s. What a shame :-( Things these days are just not the same quality. Its a lot lighter and a lot smaller than the original. Shame as all toys seem to be going this way. I wouldnt recommend
on 27 October 2008
Bought this for my daughter last Christmas and frankly hasn't worked properly since. You can't get rid of the previous drawing. The new drawing line is so thin and faint you have to go over the line a number of times to see it. All in all very disappointing and not at all like the original one I had many years ago.
on 16 September 2008
You have to struggle and perhaps tire yourself in order to clear the screen by shaking it. The drawing starts from any random location. However its not bad after all to an unusual kind of drawing.
on 27 September 2013
Bought for a 4 year old. Within a few weeks the etch a sketch was in the bin. Not a robust as the etch a sketch I played with as a child. Without sounding like a codger. They don't make 'em like they used to!
on 6 February 2009
Very Disappointed we have perchased this product before but now find the direction of the drawings very poor we did purchase three of these Etch A Sketch
on 17 February 2016
This is a lovely product it seems a bit smaller than i recall when i was a child but that was a while ago, it feels great and works as it should. The dials are as to turn and easy to mark the screen to produce lovely works of art. Feels strong so likely to with stand some vigorous play. Would recommend this product
on 28 July 2009
i had this toy as a kid, now my daughter wanted one, so i bought it ! it never worked when i was a kid, they still dont work now lol ! it does not matter where or how you twist the 2 knobs, all the pictures look the same, but saying that, you cant help but keep trying to draw with it ! my daughter wanted it, i dont regret buying it, but its one of those toys that will end up in the back of the cupboard quite quickly ! one of the cheaper toys on the market i suppose !
on 9 December 2010
The classic etcha sketch is a great size game and offers hours of fun with a good sized screen compared to similar products. A blast from the past !
on 18 November 2010
I just received this great piece of nostalgia (I had one many years ago) for the birthday of my young daughter and, disappointingly, the quality and operation of this 'modern' version is far inferior to that of the 'original'.

The plastic surround seems of a poor quality and quite flimsy - I wouldn't want to test it by 'dropping' it accidentally !

Most importantly, the drawing function did NOT work correctly. The lines drawn were so faint, they were almost invisible, so no point in drawing if you can't see the picture .... no ?

All-in-all a big disappointment in terms of functionality and quality, not taking into account the time & effort of now having to go out and find an alternative in time for the birthday...

Amazon - don't you quality-control the products you buy ?

See one answered question